IGNORED

Bristol City Twitter Account

BessexRED

This may sound like the bitter ramblings of a fan after a defeat but it’s really not, it’s just more tweets tonight have led me to post this...

Has anyone actually noticed an improvement on the Twitter account from the early season? Other than perhaps being less antagonistic, I’ve really not noticed much of a difference.

The output is really poor, they rehash shit videos that make us and our fan base look tinpot, the interactions with the tweets are nowhere near as good as they were in recent years as they’re constantly posting the same videos of the East End bouncing rather than using them now and again when they should be.

After the fantastic success of the social media team (particularly Twitter with the GIFs) last season, I’ve no idea why we decided to take a change of route, and it’s backfired as Dave Barton and the rest of his team are really out of touch with City fans, and more generally football fans.

@KINGERS made a video earlier in the season which was brilliant and they’ve tried to incorporate some of his suggestions but to a poor standard — he said he’d like to see a podcast, they’ve done it but it’s hosted by a bloke who in my opinion and the opinion of many other City fans is quite frankly a bellend and rather than discussing things that fans would like to hear they do stuff like “guess the flavour of the pancakes” for a difficult to watch 15 minutes.

I think we need someone who gets it doing this job, whether that be a fan of the club who’s clued up in fan engagement like Kingers or someone who’s done a similar job to a decent standard before. Tweets like the one below from Saturday say to me they have absolutely no idea how to address the fans.

Or, y’know, we could beg Adam Baker to come back....

DA4B202D-C2C0-44C3-903E-59F8758A5C42.jpeg

2 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

This may sound like the bitter ramblings of a fan after a defeat but it’s really not, it’s just more tweets tonight have led me to post this...

Has anyone actually noticed an improvement on the Twitter account from the early season? Other than perhaps being less antagonistic, I’ve really not noticed much of a difference.

The output is really poor, they rehash shit videos that make us and our fan base look tinpot, the interactions with the tweets are nowhere near as good as they were in recent years as they’re constantly posting the same videos of the East End bouncing rather than using them now and again when they should be.

After the fantastic success of the social media team (particularly Twitter with the GIFs) last season, I’ve no idea why we decided to take a change of route, and it’s backfired as Dave Barton and the rest of his team are really out of touch with City fans, and more generally football fans.

@KINGERS made a video earlier in the season which was brilliant and they’ve tried to incorporate some of his suggestions but to a poor standard — he said he’d like to see a podcast, they’ve done it but it’s hosted by a bloke who in my opinion and the opinion of many other City fans is quite frankly a bellend and rather than discussing things that fans would like to hear they do stuff like “guess the flavour of the pancakes” for a difficult to watch 15 minutes.

I think we need someone who gets it doing this job, whether that be a fan of the club who’s clued up in fan engagement like Kingers or someone who’s done a similar job to a decent standard before. Tweets like the one below from Saturday say to me they have absolutely no idea how to address the fans.

Or, y’know, we could beg Adam Baker to come back....

DA4B202D-C2C0-44C3-903E-59F8758A5C42.jpeg

Agree with a lot of that. 

Calling downsy a 'bellend' though? That's very harsh and a misjudgement on someone who I'd imagine you've never met... 

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

Agree with a lot of that. 

Calling downsy a 'bellend' though? That's very harsh and a misjudgement on someone who I'd imagine you've never met... 

Yes, I’d say he’s a bellend. 

He’s an irritating bloke who’s made 6 year old girls feel uncomfortable in front of 20,000 people by making inappropriate jokes, he did similar but not on the same scale with a young kid who was waving the flag on the big screen, he’s an awful match day announcer and he just really doesn’t get it.

You ought to read some of the Downsy threads on here from before, a lot worse has been said about him.

@Dollymarie @TomF I’m not sure who else are mods etc but surely its time to ban this poster? Nearly all posts are insults at other fans, staff etc.

@BessexRED you going to be man enough to meet @DownsyBCFC face to face and call him a bellend? I massively doubt it, just as you think you are anonymous on here (which you are not) doesn’t give you a right to insult everyone.

2 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

@Dollymarie @TomF I’m not sure who else are mods etc but surely its time to ban this poster? Nearly all posts are insults at other fans, staff etc.

@BessexRED you going to be man enough to meet @DownsyBCFC face to face and call him a bellend? I massively doubt it, just as you think you are anonymous (which you are not) doesn’t give you a right to insult everyone.

For having an opinion shared by many others?

I and so many on here have offered constructive criticism to Downsy in terms of how he could improve and make people warm to him, he doesn’t take it on board.

As I said to JBFC, read the other threads and take issue with some of the comments which have been far more spiteful.

Yes, I’d say he’s a bellend. 

He’s an irritating bloke who’s made 6 year old girls feel uncomfortable in front of 20,000 people by making inappropriate jokes, he did similar but not on the same scale with a young kid who was waving the flag on the big screen, he’s an awful match day announcer and he just really doesn’t get it.

You ought to read some of the Downsy threads on here from before, a lot worse has been said about him.

He's a guy doing his job to a decent level. Yes he's made mistakes but haven't we all? 

I'd love to see you stand in front of 20000 people on a weekly basis, it's a very difficult skill to make everybody happy and many on here fail to realise that. 

To call him a bellend when you've never met him (he's actually a very nice guy who knows that he's constantly learning and is always willing to listen to constructive feedback...) is a pretty poor show tbh. He's got his qualities and he's got his stuff to work on but he has come on leaps and bounds since when he started

@BessexRED quite simple, will you meet downsy face to face and call him a bellend, or is that just something you are willing to do behind your mobile phone? 

Dont prance around the question, a simple yes or no will suffice. 

So if it’s a viewed shared by others, that’s perfectly fine to insult a bloke doing a job while hiding behind your phone?

9 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

He's a guy doing his job to a decent level. Yes he's made mistakes but haven't we all? 

I'd love to see you stand in front of 20000 people on a weekly basis, it's a very difficult skill to make everybody happy and many on here fail to realise that. 

To call him a bellend when you've never met him (he's actually a very nice guy who knows that he's constantly learning and is always willing to listen to constructive feedback...) is a pretty poor show tbh. He's got his qualities and he's got his stuff to work on but he has come on leaps and bounds since when he started

No he isn’t.

It’s not my job to stand in front of 20,000 people and announce, I wouldn’t sign up to do it.

You’re assuming I’ve never met Downsy, I have actually as it goes. We spoke to him at Man City.

8 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

@BessexRED quite simple, will you meet downsy face to face and call him a bellend, or is that just something you are willing to do behind your mobile phone? 

Dont prance around the question, a simple yes or no will suffice. 

So if it’s a viewed shared by others, that’s perfectly fine to insult a bloke doing a job while hiding behind your phone?

I seem to recall you calling bristolcitysweden a rather nasty word on here not so long ago, so if you’d like to set that up then I’ll give him a message as well and you can call him what you said from behind your mobile on here if you’ll remove yourself from your moral high horse for just one minute.

1 minute ago, BessexRED said:

No he isn’t.

It’s not my job to stand in front of 20,000 people and announce, I wouldn’t sign up to do it.

You’re assuming I’ve never met Downsy, I have actually as it goes. We spoke to him at Man City.

I seem to recall you calling bristolcitysweden an explicit word on here not so long ago, so if you’d like to set that up then I’ll give him a message as well and you can call him what you said from behind your mobile on here if you’ll remove yourself from your moral high horse for just one minute.

You wouldn't sign up to do his job and yet you're calling him a bellend for how he does it? Right... 

You wouldn't sign up to do his job and yet you're calling him a bellend for how he does it? Right... 

I’m not a stadium announcer, that isn’t the career path I’ve chosen. He’s getting paid to do that job and he’s poor at it. If he was to try and do my job he initially would be poor at it.

I’m not a stadium announcer, that isn’t the career path I’ve chosen. He’s getting paid to do that job and he’s poor at it. If he was to try and do my job he initially would be poor at it.

As I said earlier, he's having to make 20000 people happy every week. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking he's doing a decent job and very few people around me think he's either 'poor' or a 'bellend'. 

He's constantly improving and he engages well with our younger fans, which is just what he needs to do

9 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

@BessexRED

You are missing the point, will you meet downsy face to face and call him a bellend? 

It isn’t a hard question.

Sure go for it and message to meet downsy at the same time?

I’ve done a simple search and in about two minutes found these comments about Downsy all in the last 2 years on this forum, there are plenty more. Of course, you didn’t go at them though because it doesn’t suit your agenda.

630D6B47-2A53-44F9-8DEB-2C1E7BEBA560.jpeg

AB32F888-CD01-4DDB-BF49-8FEC0C0D7A64.jpeg

DB06F9A5-B873-4573-A252-182D87963A66.jpeg

22 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

@BessexRED you going to be man enough to meet @DownsyBCFC face to face and call him a bellend? I massively doubt it, just as you think you are anonymous on here (which you are not) doesn’t give you a right to insult everyone.

Hahah you idiot. @DownsyBCFC is an irritating individual. Ill happily say it to his face ??

1 minute ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

You can only think someone’s a bellend if you’d sign up to their job? Strange

If you call somebody a bellend for how they do their job and then claim to not have the balls to do it yourself that's a bit odd imo

I’ve done a simple search and in about two minutes found these comments about Downsy all in the last 18 months on this forum, there are plenty more. Of course, you didn’t go at them though because it doesn’t suit your agenda.

By my reckoning May 2017 isn't 18 months ago... 

3 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

If you call somebody a bellend for how they do their job and then claim to not have the balls to do it yourself that's a bit odd imo

It’s not that I “don’t have the balls” it’s that my career aspiration isn’t to be a PA announcer in a football ground. It’s really that simple.

By my reckoning May 2017 isn't 18 months ago... 

I’d already edited it to amend it, so you’ve been made to look daft so you resort to being pedantic. :laugh:

1 minute ago, BessexRED said:

It’s not that I “don’t have the balls” it’s that my career aspiration isn’t to be a PA announcer in a football ground. It’s really that simple.

I’d already edited it to amend it, so you’ve been made to look daft so you resort to being pedantic. :laugh:

Been made to look daft for questioning why you've called someone you don't know a bellend just because you don't like how he does his job? 

Right... 

And let's be honest, if you did have to be the announcer for a game you'd be much worse than he is, as would most people on here... 

Been made to look daft for questioning why you've called someone you don't know a bellend just because you don't like how he does his job? 

Right... 

And let's be honest, if you did have to be the announcer for a game you'd be much worse than he is, as would most people on here... 

This may well be the weakest point I’ve ever seen on OTIB. In essence - “you’d be worse than a professional at his job, so you cannot comment” — the next time I see you digging a footballer out on here I’ll be sure to put you in your place by pointing out that if you were to step out on the pitch you’d do a worse job.

Just because you think someone is a bellend for what they are doing .... in this case there job. Doesn’t mean you have to be better than them at doing it. If he was doing it for free then fair enough but that’s not the case is it ........ as I said kids entertainer should be no where near the mic on a match day. Total embarrassment 

This may well be the weakest point I’ve ever seen on OTIB. In essence - “you’d be worse than a professional at his job, so you cannot comment” — the next time I see you digging a footballer out on here I’ll be sure to put you in your place by pointing out that if you were to step out on the pitch you’d do a worse job.

I never said that though did I? 

It's laughable to call somebody a bellend for doing a job that very few people would have the guts to do. If you'd said something along the lines of 'in my opinion he isn't very good at what he does' then that would have been fine, to call him a bellend is just completely unwarranted really and stinks of a keyboard warrior ( a phrase you love...) 

20 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

I’ve done a simple search and in about two minutes found these comments about Downsy all in the last 2 years on this forum, there are plenty more. Of course, you didn’t go at them though because it doesn’t suit your agenda.

The only one here is knob jockey really? The other two arnt insulting as such or would you disagree, the fat overgrown child might be yes. I can’t recall seeing that post so I’d have to apologies for that. 

I just think if you are going to call people bellends online then you should have the decency to say it face to face.

3 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

The only one here is knob jockey really? The other two arnt insulting as such or would you disagree. I can’t recall seeing that post so I’d have to apologies for that. 

I just think if you are going to call people bellends online then you should have the decency to say it face to face.

Sure, I will do — so long as you’ll front up to Tommy and call him what you called him over the internet face-to-face. 

I never said that though did I? 

It's laughable to call somebody a bellend for doing a job that very few people would have the guts to do. If you'd said something along the lines of 'in my opinion he isn't very good at what he does' then that would have been fine, to call him a bellend is just completely unwarranted really and stinks of a keyboard warrior ( a phrase you love...) 

Totally agree! 

If you think he dosent do his job to your standard then that’s your opinion but dosent make him a “bellend”

if anyone has spent time to chat to him you would not think he is a “bellend” really nice chap who is time to chat to fans.

to be honest I don’t go to football to listen to the announcer apart from the team selection.

orignal poster is your classic keyboard warrior, 

6 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

Sure, I will do — so long as you’ll front up to Tommy and call him what you called him over the internet face-to-face. 

Sure, find the post and next time he is over I’ll happily buy him a pint and discuss views in person as grown ups, he is a passionate city fan even if his views are extreme at times.

Archived