IGNORED

Matty Taylor was not offside - our early chance

brady bunch

9 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

It was poor game management in the end. LJ made the right attacking substitutions and we overhauled a one goal deficit as a direct result of his decisions. However, not for the first time this season we were not savvy when it came to closing the game out. Wigan had been threatening to score again and we failed to react appropriately to the warning signs. When the board went up for 5 minutes added time I feared the worst and was frustrated but not in the least surprised when the inevitable happened. City were still playing like they were looking for the third goal. The head coach can do very little in those circumstances. It’s up to the players on the pitch and the more experienced, senior pro’s should have taken charge and shut up shop. We were too open and paid the price.

Thought we needed that third in all honesty..

I remember when Wright should have made it 3-1 when we had all the momentum, crowd was up- getting pretty worried that it would come back on us.

Because of the necessary attacking changes, it left us fairly thin at the back- in what had already been a pretty open game.

Maybe if we had sat back deeper at 2-1...but then still likely they would have created danger in that scenario too.

Very close call, that Taylor offside decision. Presumably the lino’s view of the last defender was blocked by Diedhiou and/or Taylor. 

It also looks like we were unlucky with the forearm smash for their equaliser. 

Having said that, we always looked vulnerable, especially when they whipped crosses over, so frustrating as it was that late goal was no surprise. Sometimes we just don’t seem to be able to clear our lines. 

36 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wigan did a bit of a job on us

It's a problem at home isn't it. Wigan did a job on us, Ipswich did a job , Birmingham did a good job. I don't know the answer, oh to be like Norwich and dominate games at home.  We have been awesome away , at home we are about 18th , while away 5th. Mid table home form and we'd be nailed on playoffs, we just can't seem to find the formula that works home AND away.

14 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

It's a problem at home isn't it. Wigan did a job on us, Ipswich did a job , Birmingham did a good job. I don't know the answer, oh to be like Norwich and dominate games at home.  We have been awesome away , at home we are about 18th , while away 5th. Mid table home form and we'd be nailed on playoffs, we just can't seem to find the formula that works home AND away.

It's funny really.

In general under LJ we have been better at home over a season- sometimes by a decent margin at that!

More reactive tactics maybe, more counterattack minded.

Whatever the reason, the trend has sharply reversed this season!

3 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Luck and incorrect enforcement of the rules?

With some of those decisions you mentioned there's no way the linesman could have been certain the player was offside, so must have guessed.

The rule states (or used to) about benefit of doubt towards the attacking side- so either that hasn't been getting given or that's no longer the case.

There is nothing in the laws of the game re benefit of the doubt, and to my knowledge there never has been.

Your either on or off, the linesman gives an honest decision, 99% of which are right, they do get them wrong, but they are only human!

2 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

It was poor game management in the end. LJ made the right attacking substitutions and we overhauled a one goal deficit as a direct result of his decisions. However, not for the first time this season we were not savvy when it came to closing the game out. Wigan had been threatening to score again and we failed to react appropriately to the warning signs. When the board went up for 5 minutes added time I feared the worst and was frustrated but not in the least surprised when the inevitable happened. City were still playing like they were looking for the third goal. The head coach can do very little in those circumstances. It’s up to the players on the pitch and the more experienced, senior pro’s should have taken charge and shut up shop. We were too open and paid the price.

Correct - it's the second time if you want to be really pedantic.

Saturday was only the second time all season that we have conceded in the last 15 minutes of a game,  which I would say proves  that we have been very savvy at closing games out this season.

2 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Fantastic positioning by lino and he got it right I think.

Agree Alex. 

In situations like this unless the lino is cross eyed, the problem is how he can see across the line at the exact moment Pack plays the ball. Looking at one or the other a split second adrift can make the difference between putting his flag up or not,

I take it for granted this season that any marginal decisions will tend not to go in our favour e.g. Kalas getting a forearm smash in the build up to the equaliser - you just know if the roles had been reversed with us getting a winning goal it would have been spotted and penalised.

6 hours ago, CityCiderEd said:

I thought their winner should have been disallowed as well.The big Wigan forward virtually forearm smashes Kalas in the face as he goes into challenge him. The more I see it the more I feel we were robbed of the win..........

If they did score a winner, then it must have been disallowed..!

Archived