IGNORED

City charged over Villa

hertsexile

16 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

This won’t be popular.

Having played amateur football for 25 years and followed BCFC and football all my life I can only recall a handful of occasions when a ref has changed their mind about a decision they have made. Usually this has occurred following a discussion with another official.

I can not think of any occasion when players complaining has resulted in a ref changing their decision, although I have (rarely) seen requests from players to consult the Lino being taken up by the ref. 

As frustrating and hopeless as this is I am bound to conclude that confronting officials achieves nothing, other than in this case, further punishment. 

Officials are human, they make mistakes and in reality aren’t going to reverse a decision. Being a professional (or even an amateur) sportsperson really means you have to come to terms with this, even if it is totally infuriating and unjust.

We will also be fined for picking up so many yellow cards in the game.

Off to put on my hard hat.

What you say is correct, in the vast majority of cases protesting to a ref after a decision has been made is pointless, however part of the reasons for these  protests - particularly with pens - is to try and influence the officials decision if a similar situation were to arise later in the game in your favor.

If a ref recognizes he made a poor decision he may well decide to ‘even things out’ if the opportunity arises!

16 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Where was VAR.

This. In the CL last night VAR was the kingmaker, and rightfully so. Mane was a good yard on, and Aguero was off in the buildup to Sterling's goal.

Just make the timings quicker and the system gets very good very quick.

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

What is the point in complaining about a refs performance though? Even if he is then punished by dropping down the leagues, that won’t change the result from the day and the impact that had on a season.

As frustrating as it is, there is little point in complaining after the event.

If a shit ref gets dropped down the leagues then someone will need to step up to replace them.

This should be one of the better performing referees from the league below.

Better referees equals less farcical decisions.

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

If a shit ref gets dropped down the leagues then someone will need to step up to replace them.

I appreciate that, but it still doesn’t change the outcome of the match already played. Surely you are better off hoping he has another terrible performance in a game which might actually work in your favour further down the line?

2 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

But at the end of the day, some poor sod still gets landed with Scott Duncan!

3 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

What you say is correct, in the vast majority of cases protesting to a ref after a decision has been made is pointless, however part of the reasons for these  protests - particularly with pens - is to try and influence the officials decision if a similar situation were to arise later in the game in your favor.

If a ref recognizes he made a poor decision he may well decide to ‘even things out’ if the opportunity arises!

ScottishRed yes it maybe part of the reason, however, by doing so they risk a yellow or red card, which only adds to the problem.

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

ScottishRed yes it maybe part of the reason, however, by doing so they risk a yellow or red card, which only adds to the problem.

They do, but equally they have the opportunity to make their point without too much aggression  which may result in a card.

There is a way of doing these things in a calculated manner that minimizes risk.

Archived