IGNORED

Player performances in pre season

Major Isewater

Haven’t seen any games live, just the 45 v Derby and a few goal highlights.

In terms of the objective of getting minutes under player’s belts, then you could say that has been achieved.

Re below, only caveat is I don’t know accuracy of the minutes played in yesterday’s behind closed doors friendly v Swindon, but they’re not gonna be far out.

67AE636B-047A-43C7-8D42-A28864C61199.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Selred said:

I would say 2 players who should be in our starting 11 due to pre-season performances are Eliasson and Szmodics. 

I suspect the weather intervened friendly v Derby ended up distorting some players minutes.  The 4 quarters of 30 got amended to 45 | 60 (30+30), and those who played 45 v Derby were t gonna come back the following day having prepared and played the night before.

Still, lots of minutes for lots of players.  None of the starters v Leeds should be going in undercooked.

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In terms of the objective of getting minutes under player’s belts, then you could say that has been achieved.

Re below, only caveat is I don’t know accuracy of the minutes played in yesterday’s behind closed doors friendly v Swindon, but they’re not gonna be far out.

You are a diamond Mr Fevs , thank you.

Any one give a little heads up to the individual performances ? 

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

Might be worth reading the match day threads.  @Silvio Dante And @Johnny Musicworks have added some useful insight in some of the threads.  I’m sure others have too, but theirs spring to mind.

Just now, Major Isewater said:

It’s not looking too promising  for Marley Watkins unless he’s injured.

He doesn’t look to be part of the future at the club .

Great to see Semenyo, Weimann banging a few in . 

And he started the season as our 1st choice (?) no9 v Hallen.

5 minutes ago, City18 said:

2 goals in 20 minutes for Jonny Smith

Average of 9 goals per game and a total of 414 goals this season wouldn't be a bad return. Let's hope he can keep his preseason form up for until next summer 

Atyeo is so stunned his record is going, he’s turned into a bronze statue!

6 minutes ago, City18 said:

2 goals in 20 minutes for Jonny Smith

Average of 9 goals per game and a total of 414 goals this season wouldn't be a bad return. Let's hope he can keep his preseason form up for until next summer 

He scored for Hibs too, but not Rochdale.  They are not included though ???

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Marlon got a couple vs the american side.

Eliason impressed at FG last night. Szmodics was decent. Shame Jennah didnt convert one of his chances but he was lively and making decent runs that had been lacking earlier in the game. I haven't seen any other games so cant comment on them.

Thought COD was poor 3-2 kept going backwards playing simple balls instead of trying to go forwards. He was getting a fair bit of stick from the crowd and started drifting inside (sign your contract or F @@@). He really didnt seem that interested.

43 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

@Rudolf Hucker did a nice little summary of last night. As follows:

"I think that we did miss MP in our midfield tonight. Brownhill took up his role but didn’t appear as effective in the role as Marlon generally is  

In the first half players were turning up all over the place. COD started at LB with Rowe in front of hims then they swapped. Then Callum briefly played up front then on the RW. He made a couple of mistakes, losing possession- the first time allowing McCoulsky to run at Bentley which could and probably should have resulted in a goal. In the second half he played LW and seemed more settled. Still wearing #11 so it doesn’t seem he’s lost his number!

Walsh is a bit of an enigma. Genuinely two-footed (which you seldom see though Webster is too), better in the air than his height suggests he will be, gets involved in some nice interplay but then seems to screw up right at the last. I feel that I should like him more than I do. He has talent but I fear we’d have take a fair bit of rough with the smooth he’d give us. 

Bentley - three goals conceded but barely tested. Not to blame for any of the goals imo. Obviously good with the ball at his feet and can throw past the halfway line - a tactic we used a couple of times (unless you’re a Leeds supporter in which case, we didn’t).

Kalas looked a little rusty during the first half tbh although by the end of the game he was back to his normal self. In a league match he’d have taken out McCoulsky before he’d had chance to shoot (although his finish was sublime). 

Szmodics was very industrious throughout and his goal was really impressive, running onto a long headed clearance from Webster, holding off the defender and coolly slotting it under the keeper. 

Eliasson was hardworking though more effective imo when he played on the right. He can cross a ball but unless there’s someone threatening to get on the end of his good work it’ll be wasted. 

One final point - a bugbear of mine - timewasting. In a friendly match where the ref has avoided handing out bookings which he easily could have done, notably to Walsh in the first half, why is it ok for FGR players to kick the ball away, carry the ball away when free kicks have been given against them, and for their keeper to waste at least 5 minutes by deliberately taking the ball to the opposite end of the six yard box to take goalkicks? In the end they were the losers in every respect but it was so frustrating to watch."

59 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Janneh with an absolutely outrageous minutes per goal of 50 per goal. Absolute psycho.

7 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

@Rudolf Hucker did a nice little summary of last night. As follows:

"I think that we did miss MP in our midfield tonight. Brownhill took up his role but didn’t appear as effective in the role as Marlon generally is  

In the first half players were turning up all over the place. COD started at LB with Rowe in front of hims then they swapped. Then Callum briefly played up front then on the RW. He made a couple of mistakes, losing possession- the first time allowing McCoulsky to run at Bentley which could and probably should have resulted in a goal. In the second half he played LW and seemed more settled. Still wearing #11 so it doesn’t seem he’s lost his number!

Walsh is a bit of an enigma. Genuinely two-footed (which you seldom see though Webster is too), better in the air than his height suggests he will be, gets involved in some nice interplay but then seems to screw up right at the last. I feel that I should like him more than I do. He has talent but I fear we’d have take a fair bit of rough with the smooth he’d give us. 

Bentley - three goals conceded but barely tested. Not to blame for any of the goals imo. Obviously good with the ball at his feet and can throw past the halfway line - a tactic we used a couple of times (unless you’re a Leeds supporter in which case, we didn’t).

Kalas looked a little rusty during the first half tbh although by the end of the game he was back to his normal self. In a league match he’d have taken out McCoulsky before he’d had chance to shoot (although his finish was sublime). 

Szmodics was very industrious throughout and his goal was really impressive, running onto a long headed clearance from Webster, holding off the defender and coolly slotting it under the keeper. 

Eliasson was hardworking though more effective imo when he played on the right. He can cross a ball but unless there’s someone threatening to get on the end of his good work it’ll be wasted. 

One final point - a bugbear of mine - timewasting. In a friendly match where the ref has avoided handing out bookings which he easily could have done, notably to Walsh in the first half, why is it ok for FGR players to kick the ball away, carry the ball away when free kicks have been given against them, and for their keeper to waste at least 5 minutes by deliberately taking the ball to the opposite end of the six yard box to take goalkicks? In the end they were the losers in every respect but it was so frustrating to watch."

Janneh with an absolutely outrageous minutes per goal of 50 per goal. Absolute psycho.

Janneh might have 1 to add to that if he indeed did get the crucial touch on Webster’s shot!!

Taylor’s ain’t bad either!

Szmodics, Elliasson and Weimann have been the standouts for me, but I've also been impressed with Rowe who looks a cool head, Walsh who has linked particularly well with Sammie when on the pitch together, and Janneh for his infectious enthusiasm. A little disappointing for me has been Brownhill, although this might be due to the deeper role he's played when Pack has not been in the side, and Tyreeq Bakinson who doesn't look ready yet for me and needs another loan. O'Dowda looked awful in the first half at FGR last night but improved when used more as  a winger in the second half. 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Janneh might have 1 to add to that if he indeed did get the crucial touch on Webster’s shot!!

Taylor’s ain’t bad either!

Yeh, he seems decent.

It's good to see the goals being shared around the team. 10 players on 2 or more goals across 6 games (if you count both derby matches as one) certainly bodes well.

Archived