IGNORED

Why haven't we bought more firepower?

reddogkev

56 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

We'll probably buy someone on deadline day, then when he doesn't set the world on fire we will be told "he didn't have a proper pre-season.

I finding really frustrating particularly keeping in mind LJ's "we will be bold"comments that players who we say want too high wages are in advance talks with Wigan.

Its very nice to sign Kalas but considering last seasons lack of goals and the fact that we have Baker and Vynner would it have been better to go all out to buy one or 2 decent strikers

I think keeping our fingers crossed that Arsenal give us a decent loan striker is not a very good policy

And we’d prob only be in the situation where we have one of the leagues top scorers but fighting against relegation because the defence is shit,

you know like our first two seasons in the championship 

14 hours ago, Robbored said:

Maybe LJ sees Semenyo as the answer to the firepower question.He may also think that with Wiemann, Famara, Taylor and Szmodics that he has plenty of goals in the squad already,

Add to that Eliasson and Brownhill who both have a goal or two in them and I wouldn’t be surprised not to see another striker signed.

LJ might think that why spend mega money on a striker when you don’t need to?

You cant rely on a young kid to push us over the line most of those mentioned apart from szmodics were here last year when we were well short upfront 

19 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

You cant rely on a young kid to push us over the line most of those mentioned apart from szmodics were here last year when we were well short upfront 

Semenyo was recalled late last season and we were expecting him to be involved straight away but what LJ did was introduce him gradually to Championship training and matchday squads, particularly away travel and overnight stays. 

It would have been very different to training and away travel than what he’d been experiencing at Newport. Quite a culture shock between L2 and the Championship. 

Sure he’s an inexperienced young guy LJ obviously rates him and Semenyo has had a full preseason learning the intricacies of City style and I’m pretty sure he’ll be in the matchday squad against dirty Leeds. 

He may not be the answer but only playing  him in Championship fixtures will give us the answer.

7 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

... someone else said it on here, but if diedhou gets a bad injury we are screwed. Wiemann is our next best chance of a goal and he didnt score in 6 months last season....

We’d be ‘screwed’ without Diedhiou?! Really? Weimann scored 5 goals in the first 5 games of last season, then Fammy was shoe-horned back in, Weimann’s role was changed and his goals, quite understandably dried up.

I’d have left Fammy on the bench after his suspension while a ‘5 goals in 5’ striker did his stuff - but no, LJ had to bring his ‘record signing’ back in and people like you then bemoan Weimann’s contribution thereafter - his role changed significantly but he still ran his ass off for our club for the whole season - top pro ..

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

We’d be ‘screwed’ without Diedhiou?! Really? Weimann scored 5 goals in the first 5 games of last season, then Fammy was shoe-horned back in, Weimann’s role was changed and his goals, quite understandably dried up.

I’d have left Fammy on the bench after his suspension while a ‘5 goals in 5’ striker did his stuff - but no, LJ had to bring his ‘record signing’ back in and people like you then bemoan Weimann’s contribution thereafter - his role changed significantly but he still ran his ass off for our club for the whole season - top pro ..

Top pro maybe, but he was played through the middle for several months without scoring before moving out to the right.

2 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Top pro maybe, but he was played through the middle for several months without scoring before moving out to the right.

@BS4 on Tour... he was on a barren run in fairness before LJ moved him to right wing. 

However in AW’s defence he started the season playing on the shoulder as the main man and scored 5. Fam returned and his was then playing as a partner, pivoting around Fam who stayed central in the main. 

His passing lanes now congested. It’s not a surprise his goals dried up.

17 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I finding really frustrating particularly keeping in mind LJ's "we will be bold"comments that players who we say want too high wages are in advance talks with Wigan.

He also said that being bold didn’t nessarilly mean smashing the transfer record to bring in a player (which we did) he also said being bold might mean playing more youngsters (Semenyo maybe Janneh) but being more bold tactically!

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@BS4 on Tour... he was on a barren run in fairness before LJ moved him to right wing. 

However in AW’s defence he started the season playing on the shoulder as the main man and scored 5. Fam returned and his was then playing as a partner, pivoting around Fam who stayed central in the main. 

Which is exactly why, though I have no issues with Fammy, I prefer not to play a big man up front.

We now have a range of players who could pivot around Weimann, maybe plus Palmer, which could make us a more fluent attacking team.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, fair enough, but I didn’t mention him moving out to the wing in my post, I said his role changed when Fam came back in and his goals dried up - so we are actually agreeing ... when he had Pack threading through those early season balls, Weimann was on fire - then, as you say, Fam came back into the middle up front and couldn’t read Pack’s intentions in the same way AW did ...

5 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Yep, but as @Davefevs eloquently pointed out, he had Fam in his territory during those barren months - when he was upfront on his own he notched 5 goals in the first 5 games - I’d have let him carry on in that form and would have told Fam he had to wait his turn on the bench - hindsight eg?!

16 hours ago, Robbored said:

Semenyo was recalled late last season and we were expecting him to be involved straight away but what LJ did was introduce him gradually to Championship training and matchday squads, particularly away travel and overnight stays. 

It would have been very different to training and away travel than what he’d been experiencing at Newport. Quite a culture shock between L2 and the Championship. 

Sure he’s an inexperienced young guy LJ obviously rates him and Semenyo has had a full preseason learning the intricacies of City style and I’m pretty sure he’ll be in the matchday squad against dirty Leeds. 

He may not be the answer but only playing  him in Championship fixtures will give us the answer.

Hopefully not, as I believe he is suspended!

Archived