IGNORED

Bristol City v Crystal Palace - Friendly Matchday Thread

Septic Peg

1 minute ago, westonred said:

Well at least the transfer window is still open and i hope the 'powers that be' finally realise that we need a defensive and creative midfielder and two lethal strikers one big un and one fox in the box type. We have been short of these type of players (of championship quality) for a few seasons now hopefully we can address this ASAP .  

But the emphasis has been on securing the Chelsea loans, we all knew or should have what we really really want.

15 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Really. Did you think there was a 5-0 difference between city and palace at the start of the game?

if we have any aspirations of getting promoted, you don’t expect to get dicked at home by a mid lower prem side

No I didn’t, and I still don’t think there was having watched that.

They were obviously the better side but we should have scored at least 3 goals with the chances we had. As I’ve said before the major difference was the finishing, they found the corner every time whilst we only ever seemed to go down the middle

2 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

But the emphasis has been on securing the Chelsea loans, we all knew or should have what we really really want.

Well perhaps we should have brought in strikers of quality before spending £8m on Kallas. Don't get me wrong i love the guy but Wright, Baker ,T.Moore Vyner could have filled that gap, not as well granted but we are crying out for a goal scorer and if there no money left it looks a daft decision and leave the squad no stronger than last season :(

21 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Hang on 

Friendly or not - Five goals , at home difference ? 

They are a week behind us in their pre season prep too

Friendly or no friendly , the result and the way the goals were conceded simply shocking , embarrassing

No points on offer for sure butbif Anyone thinks FGR and that has been satisfactory preparation .... well

I don’t expect much of a cutting edge with Diedhiou up front but to concede 8 in the two immediate pre season games is shocking and concerning

I get your point but to be honest I’m not concerned by today’s game. Palace are a massive level above anything we’ll play this season with their build up play and finishing.

We competed well for good spells and should have scored a few ourselves but I doubt SSN shows that

23 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

They were chances any decent pro would take 

Not at all, they are all very good finishes in the corners and showed the class of the palace players. Again Sky Sports highlights don’t fully show that

Here you are Lee, your post match interview script. Courtesy of Zinedine Zidane.

"I’m not concerned, but I’m hurt. “You don’t play to lose. But we can’t be looking backwards. It was a bad game and now we have to focus on what went wrong, so we can try and make sure it doesn’t happen again in the next match. We don’t need to dwell on it. This is a pre-season game. They were better in every respect and that’s all there is to it.

We can’t be pleased with this defeat, that much is clear. We just really lacked the intensity you need at this level. But I’m convinced I’ve got a team here that is going to compete at the top level. We’ll be motivated and hungry to keep going, I have no doubt about it. I’m convinced we’re going to have a good season.

“This won’t change what we’re looking to achieve this season. The players are not letting me down, we’re just preparing for the new season and we have to remain calm."

6 minutes ago, westonred said:

Well at least the transfer window is still open and i hope the 'powers that be' finally realise that we need a defensive and creative midfielder and two lethal strikers one big un and one fox in the box type. We have been short of these type of players (of championship quality) for a few seasons now hopefully we can address this ASAP .  

Weimann could be one of those strikers we need if played through the middle. Would allow us to play a more fluid passing game which we can't so with Diedhiou who's touch is poor and too slow. You can have Patterson, Sammy, Eliason floating behind joining. Patterson was good when he played up with Reid 

Just to add insult to insult Yeovil Town 2 (team with FOUR trialists) Bristol City U23 1...

Bristol City Under-23s: Wollacott; Thompson (Edwards 46'), Edwards, Evans, Smith (Harrison 46'), Vyner, Smith, Bakinson, Semenyo (Hinds 62'), Adelakun, Taylor. 
Subs not used: Buse, Britton, Day, Smith.

I’ve always been saying it. If we do not get better midfield players than Marlon Pack, then we will never improve. He’s a useful  squad / bench player. But not the first name on the team sheet, which seems to be the case!  Besides that, our defensive play today was awful, to me It looked like Webster didn’t want to be out there!

We condemned Palace to the Championship not so long ago, shortly after which we condemned ourselves to it;

Times have moved on....some say.....more so for some clubs than others i.m.o.

9 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I get your point but to be honest I’m not concerned by today’s game. Palace are a massive level above anything we’ll play this season with their build up play and finishing.

We competed well for good spells and should have scored a few ourselves but I doubt SSN shows that

Not at all, they are all very good finishes in the corners and showed the class of the palace players. Again Sky Sports highlights don’t fully show that

Goal 1 - all over place defensively and Palarse player squeezes it over line from 2 yards - 

Goal 2 They didn’t even finish it - it was an own goal

Goal 3 Awful from Hunt & Kalas - unmarked Benteke header from only six yards , neat header tho 

Goal 4  Defence go to sleep yet again and Palarse player dink’s it over the diving Bentley - Neat but standard finish for any decent striker

Goal 5  Defence have given up and sidefoit finish from six yards right into centre of goal

I don’t know what game you were watching to describe the goals the way you have

Not one goal where they’ve had to cut thro us with great play and neatish  finishing but nothing like you describe

Gifts Gifts Gifts

8 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Here you are Lee, your post match interview script. Courtesy of Zinedine Zidane.

"I’m not concerned, but I’m hurt. “You don’t play to lose. But we can’t be looking backwards. It was a bad game and now we have to focus on what went wrong, so we can try and make sure it doesn’t happen again in the next match. We don’t need to dwell on it. This is a pre-season game. They were better in every respect and that’s all there is to it.

We can’t be pleased with this defeat, that much is clear. We just really lacked the intensity you need at this level. But I’m convinced I’ve got a team here that is going to compete at the top level. We’ll be motivated and hungry to keep going, I have no doubt about it. I’m convinced we’re going to have a good season.

“This won’t change what we’re looking to achieve this season. The players are not letting me down, we’re just preparing for the new season and we have to remain calm."

Clownish comments. One week till the season starts and 'we have to focus on what went wrong'. We lost 5-0 at home, pal. What were you doing in America all that time? Cos you sure as hell weren't working on tactics. 

9 minutes ago, westonred said:

Well perhaps we should have brought in strikers of quality before spending £8m on Kallas. Don't get me wrong i love the guy but Wright, Baker ,T.Moore Vyner could have filled that gap, not as well granted but we are crying out for a goal scorer and if there no money left it looks a daft decision and leave the squad no stronger than last season :(

I'm afraid the transfer market is not a supermarket where you can go to the striker aisle first and pluck one off the shelf before going to the defender aisle.

Has anyone said there is no money left?

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I'm afraid the transfer market is not a supermarket where you can go to the striker aisle first and pluck one off the shelf before going to the defender aisle.

Has anyone said there is no money left?

No granted but we have been after a goalscorer for 3 seasons now should it really be that hard or is it we just wont pay for quality we need ?

I was quite happy and optimistic when my season card dropped through the letter box, around lunchtime. 

Now the cold realisation of what I may have let myself in for, yet again, has swept over me.

Nevermind, after following this lot for over 60 years I find it's best not to get your hopes up!

Just now, AshtonGreat said:

Clownish comments. One week till the season starts and 'we have to focus on what went wrong'. We lost 5-0 at home, pal. What were you doing in America all that time? Cos you sure as hell weren't working on tactics. 

Um, I was quoting what Zidane said after their thrashing yesterday. In other words that is the kind of thing managers tend to say after games like that.

17 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

No I didn’t, and I still don’t think there was having watched that.

They were obviously the better side but we should have scored at least 3 goals with the chances we had. As I’ve said before the major difference was the finishing, they found the corner every time whilst we only ever seemed to go down the middle

Well, I think we could still be playing now and still wouldn’t have scored. Half chances at best, keeper was never extended.

we will sort the defensive side out, midfield we have some options but again, up front, we are absolutely powderpuff throughout the squad

Archived