IGNORED

Bristol City v Crystal Palace - Friendly Matchday Thread

Septic Peg

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

seen the goals and they’ve hardly had to perform at Premier Level to score their 5

Defending like a pub side

Totally true, we’ve gifted them chances and they’ve taken them well.

All the finishes are in the corners, compared to us hitting the keeper every time.

Thats the main difference

Players doing there bit for fans today.

Poor result and performance is sure to see our promotion odds lengthen, so fans can then pile their money on for an even better return come the end of the season.

On the other hand.....................

5 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Need a DM and a striker but we have needed the former for the last 4 years with no sign yet and the latter to meet expectations of a play off push

We’ve needed a striker for a couple of years , maybe higher powers are content with championship football ? 

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

What are we supposed to think?

Losing a pre season friendly isn't the end of the world but we have been slaughtered.

Poor defensive performance. Attacking as per normal?

Exactly. Not sure how many on this thread are watching this crap but i am. Meltdown...LJ will be a pool of sweat and fat in the dressing room after this!

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Van Aanholt has been class.

On a serious note - Paterson has been bright and lively since he's been on.

That’s fair, Paterson has looked decent. I don’t think Bentley has been nearly as bad as some are saying either. The rest have been somewhere between terrible and atrocious. 

8 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

We are playing some very nice stuff.

the defending has been shambolic and we’ve not taken any of our chances.

On the other hand palace have been excellent at finishing chances, a class above

So absolutely shocking at the back 

pretty passing in midfield but going nowhere, creating nothing

totally toothless up front

Pre-season or not, this has been a shocking display

2 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

And like him or like him not Warnock will have Cardiff resilient and functional  

2 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

We’ve created a few decent chances, just totally panicked when we’ve got into the box.

Shocking is a very strong word but you can tell there’s a massive difference between top half championship and mid table premier league 

I get it is a friendly but that is a bad loss. Just a bit of context is Palace have been playing that way for years. We took the game to them and they defended well and countered well. They have the better players. 

Now that said that was too sloppy a week before the season. Littered with mistakes. 

Biggest thing for me though is we have the same problems. There is no flair or creativity in the side. Szmodics looked more of the same to me. Lots of industry and less creativity and quality. I want Eliasson to be that but far too left footed to make it happen. This is why for me Palmer would be a huge addition. He has his flaws but we have enough industry to fit him in. Though with Paterson wide and COD central it looked better creatively. So maybe an answer without signings. 

All in all won’t judge too much on that but it needs to be a lot sharper in a weeks time

4 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

We’ve created a few decent chances, just totally panicked when we’ve got into the box.

Shocking is a very strong word but you can tell there’s a massive difference between top half championship and mid table premier league 

I take your point, but did Forest Green therefore prove there isn't much of a difference between their division and ours? 

6 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

What are we supposed to think?

Losing a pre season friendly isn't the end of the world but we have been slaughtered.

Poor defensive performance. Attacking as per normal?

You could think ‘ it’s only a friendly’ or ‘ I have faith we will get it right’ etc etc etc. But what we have from quite a few people is ‘my god, that’s it, we’re terrible’ ‘Websters useless, Kalas is a waste of money’ etc etc. Big them up and knock them down. 

Just now, CotswoldRed said:

I take your point, but did Forest Green therefore prove their isn't much of a difference between their division and ours? 

I wasn’t there so I can’t comment, but the quality of finishing today has been the main difference, they’ve been excellent at putting chances away

6 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Hang on 

Friendly or not - Five goals , at home difference ? 

They are a week behind us in their pre season prep too

Friendly or no friendly , the result and the way the goals were conceded simply shocking , embarrassing

No points on offer for sure butbif Anyone thinks FGR and that has been satisfactory preparation .... well

I don’t expect much of a cutting edge with Diedhiou up front but to concede 8 in the two immediate pre season games is shocking and concerning

1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

5 down is a bad day at the office, yes, but we're nowhere near being an auto-promotion side anyway. We'll make the playoffs if we have a very, very good season. 

Set expectations accordingly. 

Does anyone actually think we are an auto promotion side. I certainly don't. I would have expected improvement on last season which would be play offs. Also would have expected giving Palace a game not a training session. And maybe a goal.

Championship games v Premier teams today;

Barnsley 1-4 Sheffield Utd

Brum 0-4 Brighton

Brentford 1-3 Bournemouth

City 0-5 Palace

Charlton 1-4 Villa

Fulham 0-1 West Ham

Luton 1-5 Norwich

PNE 2-1 Newcastle

QPR 0-1 Watford

Stoke 1-2 Leicester

Wign 2-2 Burnley

A few stuffings there including us being the worst.

Not a definitive pointer to the season but indicative to what shape teams are in imo.

LJ will be a worried and angry man despite what he may say in the post match interview which will include something along the lines of "I didn't see that coming". If nothing else, it may well spur the club on to get a proper striker into the club asap and preferably a DM as well. 

Archived