IGNORED

Bristol City v Crystal Palace - Friendly Matchday Thread

Septic Peg

2 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Brownhill, really? Agree with all the other ratings, but imo ( & this is how bad it was! ), a sub, Patterson looked our best player today. Not writing off the new lad, but Patterson starts for me on Sunday. COYR 

Paterson was better than Szmodics (who looked lost) I agree. 

Thought brownhill was our best player though, always looked to make something happen. Battled well in midfield and hit a decent free kick. That being said, it wasn’t exactly hard to be our best player...

35 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

I thought taylor moore looked ok when he came on, a decent sized lump/unit to have in either box if we are getting bullied

Agree, thought he looked eager to impress. Looked reassured on the ball & was confident bringing it forward. In fact all 3 subs probably looked the brightest of the lot. COYR 

That sounded absolutely atrocious and probably a combination of lots of things..  A bit of jetlag, Webster possibly having his thoughts elsewhere, affecting the performance of those around him, a poor attitude towards the game, the continued lack of any attacking threat.. plus the fact that Palace are simply better than us.

Let's just try and put this behind us guys. I'm confident it was a one off. LJ has a week on the training field and in the transfer market to address our shortcomings. Consider the year on year progress he's made and have some faith. COYR

I was tempted to stay up till the wee hours to watch on bctv. Bloody glad I didn't, sounds shite! On a positive note though, we all know how good the likes of Kalas and Webster are so I guess it's just been one of those games? Better to get a thumping out of the way in a friendly maybe? As Johnson says "a wake up call", although I don't quite know why they'd need waking up when playing prem opposition in front of a home crowd. Hey ho, next week is when it really matters. 

COYR

Very worrying signs yesterday completely dominated by a side destined to struggle in the prem, no pattern of play , we lacked any enthusiasm, toothless up front, pack is so slow it’s embarrassing, we have a right back that can’t defend, Webster looked like he didn’t want to be there, let’s hope it was just a one off.

19 minutes ago, hertsexile said:

It was a ploy to ensure Leeds spies given wrong impression of a city side ! Or st least let’s hope so and the real team turns up on Sunday afternoon. 

I think Johnson has cocked up the pre-season preparations a bit, but by pure luck it might just work as the players should hopefully be fired up to make amends for yesterday's embarrassment in the Leeds game

14 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Fair point Mr P -

Difficult to tell if communication an issue in goals , looked more a lack of organisation / marking and doing basics between Kalas , Hunt Webster moreso besides poor protection

The result is awful , but it’s the performance , it’s the defensive shambles for those goals and conceding 3 in 60 mins at FGR that concerns me

Going by those who saw the game today it sounds we again looked toothless and busy bees ? busy ? returned to mind

Agreed Bob- all came together pretty badly I thought, as you say those basics were just not there.

I've been pretty conceded about the defence/organisation in general this pre-season. 2 penalties conceded at Hallen IIRC, admittedly neither were scored, 2 conceded at  AFC Wimbledon- think they scored 1, the 3 goals at Forest Green and it all came to the surface yesterday, Worrying!

Pretty toothless yes, looked technically sound enough in possession and especially at 0-0, which wasn't for all that long admittedly. Don't see them as 5 goals better than us overall despite the scoreline, unsure if that's a good thing or a bad thing! Bit of both maybe.

12 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

I thought taylor moore looked ok when he came on, a decent sized lump/unit to have in either box if we are getting bullied

Agreed. 

He has really filled out. 

Didn't recognise the guy in the warm-up, he's changed so much.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Agreed. 

He has really filled out. 

Didn't recognise the guy in the warm-up, he's changed so much.

I think the same can be said about LJ. Too many pies over the summer perhaps.?

9 hours ago, Gakoe said:

I was tempted to stay up till the wee hours to watch on bctv. Bloody glad I didn't, sounds shite! On a positive note though, we all know how good the likes of Kalas and Webster are so I guess it's just been one of those games? Better to get a thumping out of the way in a friendly maybe? As Johnson says "a wake up call", although I don't quite know why they'd need waking up when playing prem opposition in front of a home crowd. Hey ho, next week is when it really matters. 

COYR

And the bit in bold is worrying.

The body language when the 5th went in was very telling with two players (Brownhill (?) and Pack) failing to track the player into the box then, when they scored, it was almost like a shrug of the shoulders and heads down. No bollockings, nothing said or done just acceptance.

As LJ said, no enthusiasm for the game or, to put it another way, no application and bad attitude.

It's "only a friendly" but the attitude and application should be spot on for any game.

I hope that is a one off (although the FGR game wasn't too good either) and they'll be ready for Leeds - but they should have been ready yesterday and they weren't...

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

And the bit in bold is worrying.

The body language when the 5th went in was very telling with two players (Brownhill (?) and Pack) failing to track the player into the box then, when they scored, it was almost like a shrug of the shoulders and heads down. No bollockings, nothing said or done just acceptance.

As LJ said, no enthusiasm for the game or, to put it another way, no application and bad attitude.

It's "only a friendly" but the attitude and application should be spot on for any game.

I hope that is a one off (although the FGR game wasn't too good either) and they'll be ready for Leeds - but they should have been ready yesterday and they weren't...

I suppose you could argue that in a friendly, one week before the season starts, once you go three or four down, there's no point expending too much energy to pull the game back. 

2 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I suppose you could argue that in a friendly, one week before the season starts, once you go three or four down, there's no point expending too much energy to pull the game back. 

I would agree, but what about playing for a bit of professional pride? Also the match wasn’t a freebie for the fans, we spent time and money. I saw quite a few children in attendance yesterday who were pretty bored, we could have lost some of the future fans yesterday.

3 hours ago, RedM said:

I would agree, but what about playing for a bit of professional pride? Also the match wasn’t a freebie for the fans, we spent time and money. I saw quite a few children in attendance yesterday who were pretty bored, we could have lost some of the future fans yesterday.

I agree with you, to be honest

I was at the game yesterday and still can think of nothing positive to say about it. Just a game to forget. 

I was disappointed to hear a few City supporters booing when CO’D came onto the field as a second half substitute. A poor show in my book. As long as he is a City player he should be cheered not jeered. Whatever is happening regarding his contract is behind the scenes and should remain there. I hope that there won’t be a repetition should he be called upon against Leeds  

He signed autographs and posed for selfies with supporters by the tunnel after the game and was, as far as I could see, the only one of our players to so do. I’m sure that he felt that being there was better than going back to the dressing room but credit where it’s due. 

12 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I was at the game yesterday and still can think of nothing positive to say about it. Just a game to forget. 

I was disappointed to hear a few City supporters booing when CO’D came onto the field as a second half substitute. A poor show in my book. As long as he is a City player he should be cheered not jeered. Whatever is happening regarding his contract is behind the scenes and should remain there. I hope that there won’t be a repetition should he be called upon against Leeds  

He signed autographs and posed for selfies with supporters by the tunnel after the game and was, as far as I could see, the only one of our players to so do. I’m sure that he felt that being there was better than going back to the dressing room but credit where it’s due. 

P****S

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I agree with you about the boos. It was noticeable though how few players fully acknowledged the fans yesterday. Quite a few gave a quick clap and ran straight down the tunnel. I think only 4, one being CoD made the effort to go to the SS fans.

There were a few fans waiting afterwards for the players to come out but were told the players weren’t leaving until later. No Lee didn’t keep them in to give them a dressing down, it seems their families were being given a party for their children in the Lansdown concourse.

It didn't look too clever yesterday but a complete overreaction from majority on here. It was a pre season game against well established Prem team. It's all about getting fit and sharp and there were times during the game that we did make them look ordinary and we should have scored at least a couple. Better that we learn from this game than against Leeds. Stay positive boys and girls 

12 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

P****S

Hey i wouldnt boo necessarily, but if someone wants to vocalise their feelings that odowda is trying to score a scarcely deserved big payrise from the club, then turn it down hoping to get more from somebody else, then thats their prerogative. Having a great life as an average championship footballer, playing for bristol city whose fans cant all afford the range rovers and designer homes in portishead and seeing them turning down payrises is going to cause offense to some people .

35 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Hey i wouldnt boo necessarily, but if someone wants to vocalise their feelings that odowda is trying to score a scarcely deserved big payrise from the club, then turn it down hoping to get more from somebody else, then thats their prerogative. Having a great life as an average championship footballer, playing for bristol city whose fans cant all afford the range rovers and designer homes in portishead and seeing them turning down payrises is going to cause offense to some people .

Booing him while he’s still our player,  and still yet might be for some time ,

..........purely because he decided not to sign a new contract for whatever his reasons

(As he is perfectly entitled to do whether that irks us or not - dozens of footballers do the same each season and I’d suggest so would virtually every poster on here if that was in their best interests)

Brilliant - that will help the situation and I’m sure the other players impressed too

Time for a few to grow up in that respect 

Wait until he leaves , if he leaves , and boo him in an opposition shirt when he returns to AG if that’s what makes you feel better

49 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

It surprises me that more footballers don't get stick for their pay demands, the most obvious example being Alexis Sanchez. He's on a reported £505,000 a week and does bog all. How is he not booed every time he steps on the pitch? 

12 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

It didn't look too clever yesterday but a complete overreaction from majority on here. It was a pre season game against well established Prem team. It's all about getting fit and sharp and there were times during the game that we did make them look ordinary and we should have scored at least a couple. Better that we learn from this game than against Leeds. Stay positive boys and girls 

Can't agree tbh.

It certainly didn't look too clever. However I look at some other Championship clubs in their final friendlies before the season- some v comparable and in a number of cases better/higher finishing opposition.

• Fulham 0-1 West Ham- Defeat but a close one, vs a side who will be top 10 and maybe top 7 this season.
  • Preston 2-1 Newcastle- Managerial instability at Newcastle yes but quite a solid end to the pre-season. Winning from behind always helps morale too.
  • QPR 0-1 Watford- See Fulham v West Ham as a comparison, though both Fulham and West Ham superior to QPR and Watford.
  • Reading 3-4 Chelsea- No it wasn't the first team and doubtless a lot of changes but Chelsea's squad players would do quite well v many.
  • Stoke 1-2 Leicester- See Fulham v West Ham, the latter fielded a fairly strong side too.
  • West Brom 0-0 Bournemouth- Useful result, seemed they were pretty competent but lacking in goals given the departures of course.
  • Wigan 2-2 Burnley- Credible comeback by Wigan, yes changes by both teams but 2 down to 2-2, Burnley started with a pretty strong side.

Then I look at Championship clubs vs midtable to reasonable European opposition- from the big 5 top divisions outside of England of course and all behind in their preparation I'd have thought- with none of the European sides do I have a clue what strength of side they put out or how intensely they played and this is a caveat:

• Cagliari 1-1 Leeds- Not a bad side Cagliari- not brilliant but not bad either. Over there in Sardinia, not an easy away game.
  • Cardiff 1-0 Nice- No idea what side Nice played but reasonable side, good footballing ethos and played competently in the Europa League in recent years.
  • Huddersfield 1-1 Montpelier- Huddersfield rounded off an unbeaten pre-season, Montpelier a useful side.
  • Middlesbrough 1-1 St Etienne- A solid result.
  • Millwall 3-3 Real Sociedad- Usually top 6 to top 10 in La Liga. Technically excellent yet can be vulnerable defensively- nonetheless a good display by Millwall by the looks of it, 
  • Nottingham Forest 2-2 Real Sociedad- This was on the Friday, as above.
  • Sheffield Wednesday 2-2 Espanyol- Played well by all accounts, vs a decent La Liga mid table-upper mid table side.
  • Swansea 2-1 Atalanta. Tbh Atalanta dominated the first half, absolutely dominated and hit the woodwork at least twice but made a lot of changes 2nd half and crumbled a bit. Could've been out of sight at halftime and some of their results in Europe and v the Serie A big hitters- as well as finishing 4th, 6th and 4th in last 3 seasons there shows their pedigree.

So yeah, certainly cause for concern about from Saturday tbh, when looking around.

On 27/07/2019 at 22:43, bcfc01 said:

Just watched the Cagliari v Leeds game which ended 1-1.

Leeds have travelled much further (Australia) and tonight to Sardinia and looked very good, bossed the second half.

I really don't think jet lag can be used as an excuse.

If the players turn up against Leeds as they did today I'd expect another hiding.

It’s different coming from the west . 

Traveling East is less disruptive on the sleep pattern. I have family in Australia and visit quite often so notice that I’m not jet lagged ( just tired ) when I return from down under.

I am not sure that it was such a great idea to do the USA trip this close to the start of the season.

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It’s different coming from the west . 

Traveling East is less disruptive on the sleep pattern. I have family in Australia and visit quite often so notice that I’m not jet lagged ( just tired ) when I return from down under.

I am not sure that it was such a great idea to do the USA trip this close to the start of the season.

Agree re usa trip, might be good for team building, but we seem to be leggy and knackered before the season even starts.

12 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

The worry for me is that we should be competing, and winning at home, against the likes of Palace if we have any Premier League aspirations. 

‘It’s only a friendly’, ain’t good enough for me. It was ‘only a friendly’ for Palace as well, and they are a week behind us in prepartion, yet we seem to have been taken to the cleaners by them in virtually every aspect of the game. 

Every game/ contest is for winning. It says a lot about the mentality of the squad that they are happy to be rolled over. The first attribute in any DNA tick box should be ‘winners’. Yet again we appear to have developed a team with an ‘it’s ok’ mentality, lacking leaders and fighters. The body language and physical effort appeared woefully short of what’s required. If they can put in that sort of ‘performance’ it’s pretty clear that this ‘streaky’ issue - which should have been close season priority one - has been far from sorted. 

The only plus for me is that this game, following on from Forest Green, should be the kick up the backside required to go all guns blazing for Leeds. Why that is, needs to be thoroughly examined as it appears the much vaunted USA trip with all the scientific coaching methods/analysis and team bonding has been more of a massive hinderance than help. 

Over to you Lee.  Please don’t buy in any more players no better than what we have, particularly no player who is less than 6’2’’ and KISS. You may love your complex tactics but if players are totally bamboozled by them they ain’t going to provide that extra 1% you are looking for. Have a go at using some Warnock-style motivation and let players express themselves.

9 minutes ago, RedRock said:

The worry for me is that we should be competing, and winning at home, against the likes of Palace if we have any Premier League aspirations. 

‘It’s only a friendly’, ain’t good enough for me. It was ‘only a friendly’ for Palace as well, and they are a week behind us in prepartion, yet we seem to have been taken to the cleaners by them in virtually every aspect of the game. 

Every game/ contest is for winning. It says a lot about the mentality of the squad that they are happy to be rolled over. The first attribute in any DNA tick box should be ‘winners’. Yet again we appear to have developed a team with an ‘it’s ok’ mentality, lacking leaders and fighters. The body language and physical effort appeared woefully short of what’s required. If they can put in that sort of ‘performance’ it’s pretty clear that this ‘streaky’ issue - which should have been close season priority one - has been far from sorted. 

The only plus for me is that this game, following on from Forest Green, should be the kick up the backside required to go all guns blazing for Leeds. Why that is, needs to be thoroughly examined as it appears the much vaunted USA trip with all the scientific coaching methods/analysis and team bonding has been more of a massive hinderance than help. 

Over to you Lee.  Please don’t buy in any more players no better than what we have, particularly no player who is less than 6’2’’ and KISS. You may love your complex tactics but if players are totally bamboozled by them they ain’t going to provide that extra 1% you are looking for. Have a go at using some Warnock-style motivation and let players express themselves.

They have a strong away record or did last season tbh, 6th or 7th best- scored 3 goals at Arsenal, Liverpool and Man City winning 2 of these.

I don't agree that it was win or bust but 5-0 is very concerning indeed. I do hope the USA trip and the general schedule hasn't knackered the players before we've even begun!

Height can be a red herring in the modern game tbh.

What I did find highly concerning as well as all you have stated is the goals in clusters- twice. 1-0 soon became 2-0, 4-0 fairly quickly became 5-0. That worried me, though maybe more than it should have?

Archived