IGNORED

Bristol City v Crystal Palace - Friendly Matchday Thread

Septic Peg

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They have a strong away record or did last season tbh, 6th or 7th best- scored 3 goals at Arsenal, Liverpool and Man City winning 2 of these.

I don't agree that it was win or bust but 5-0 is very concerning indeed. I do hope the USA trip and the general schedule hasn't knackered the players before we've even begun!

Height can be a red herring in the modern game tbh.

What I did find highly concerning as well as all you have stated is the goals in clusters- twice. 1-0 soon became 2-0, 4-0 fairly quickly became 5-0. That worried me, though maybe more than it should have?

Let’s hope we have a Milner or Henderson type in the dressing room with the associated professional pride

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Let’s hope we have a Milner or Henderson type in the dressing room with the associated professional pride

Agreed- senior pros can be important at times like this.

Whichever way LJ spins it and I say this as an LJ fan, Saturday was pretty disastrous IMO- end of story. A Milner or a Henderson type, digging in, getting into the players would be good- leadership, pride.

I like to think we'll see a reaction v Leeds- if we don't we've got problems and will probably get a bit of a thrashing, not 5-0 but a bit of one- so we surely have to react. Would be a good game to bring one about too!

Different team, different manager etc, different era- but I remember under GJ about 10 years ago in his final season we lost 2-0 to Carlisle in the Carling Cup at home, very poor indeed. Then we played Middlesbrough on the Saturday who were top of the League after 4 with 10 points and with no goals conceded- we won 2-1, quite memorable game, Maynard double including last minute, Hartley excellent, pretty sound defensively/compact and a good atmosphere- but the main thing was there a big reaction v a fancied side to a highly disappointing game- let's hope we have it in us!

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed- senior pros can be important at times like this.

Whichever way LJ spins it and I say this as an LJ fan, Saturday was pretty disastrous IMO- end of story. A Milner or a Henderson type, digging in, getting into the players would be good- leadership, pride.

I like to think we'll see a reaction v Leeds- if we don't we've got problems and will probably get a bit of a thrashing, not 5-0 but a bit of one- so we surely have to react. Would be a good game to bring one about too!

Football history might well suggest that the performance against Leeds will (hopefully) have little resemblance from Saturdays

As we’ve discussed the defensive fragility as a side, and particularly amongst some crucial members of the back four , apparent poor communication and organisation , personally , that’s what I will be looking at first and foremost come Sunday.

8 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

What struck me was the body language when the 4th and 5th went in. Trudging back to the kick off with shoulders slumped, every one if them looked totally demoralised, friendly or not. Not an ideal preparation, and on that showing, I fear for us on Sunday.

I'd fear for us at home v Leeds if we were 20 points clear at the top of the league!! Couldn't have picked a harder game to start. Can't wait !!!

Might be looking at this through Bristol City tainted glasses, but does anyone else feel like getting hammered 5-0 in our final pre-season game might be the best thing that could have happened?

If we'd have had a close game, I wonder if we'd have been more insistent on keeping Webster (who looks like he'll be leaving for the Prem soon) and not pushing hard for any additional players. Anyone else think this loss will drive LJ to let Wbester go and get those much needed positions filled (ST, CB, CM and FB)?

Apologies to bring this awful result back into all our minds so soon but, is there any footage of the goals available?

The club seem to have hushed up and pushed the open day positivity instead and Leeds match tickets.

Has this game been brushed under the carpet or does someone out there have a video?

Yeah, I'd like to know what went so badly wrong last Saturday too!

• Admin
11 hours ago, LocoPal said:

Apologies to bring this awful result back into all our minds so soon but, is there any footage of the goals available?

The club seem to have hushed up and pushed the open day positivity instead and Leeds match tickets.

Has this game been brushed under the carpet or does someone out there have a video?

Yeah, I'd like to know what went so badly wrong last Saturday too!

Palace put the highlights up on their site days ago. Just watching the goals back I wouldn't rush. 

That goal we conceded straight from the kick off is a shocker 

Screenshot_20190731-103016_Twitter.jpg

18 hours ago, pigeon said:

Might be looking at this through Bristol City tainted glasses, but does anyone else feel like getting hammered 5-0 in our final pre-season game might be the best thing that could have happened?

I agree with you @pigeon if we had beaten them 3-0 for example we would have people talking about us winning the league by now.

Sometimes a hammering puts things back into perspective that more work needs to be donw

4 hours ago, phantom said:

Palace put the highlights up on their site days ago. Just watching the goals back I wouldn't rush. 

That goal we conceded straight from the kick off is a shocker 

Screenshot_20190731-103016_Twitter.jpg

I agree with you @pigeon if we had beaten them 3-0 for example we would have people talking about us winning the league by now.

Sometimes a hammering puts things back into perspective that more work needs to be donw

I think it at least showed that we need someone to put the ball in the back of the net. Even last season we tended to have the bulk of possession but lacked that quality in the final third.

Hope we get a #9 in for the season otherwise I don't see how we'll fair any better than last season. 

6 minutes ago, pigeon said:

I think it at least showed that we need someone to put the ball in the back of the net. Even last season we tended to have the bulk of possession but lacked that quality in the final third.

Hope we get a #9 in for the season otherwise I don't see how we'll fair any better than last season. 

At home perhaps- though our possession stats weren't necessarily as high as hyped.

We certainly needed to convert more, in terms of goals from chances and especially big chances we had to do better.

Archived