IGNORED

Is racism a problem at City games?

Make a Sub

58 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

I'm not sure what pub it is, but the same sign features in the Ladbrokes video about Bristol.

irish.png

Video here:

That's the Star and Garter in Montpelier. The guy who runs it now also programs the dance music at Glastonbury and is involved in organising St Paul's Carnival too.

• Admin
1 hour ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Presently in Dublin, was walking back from lunch to the office, and passed a woman wearing a t-shirt with the text: 

More Blacks
More Irish
More Dogs

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

I'm not sure what pub it is, but the same sign features in the Ladbrokes video about Bristol.

irish.png

Video here:

It's in relation to a Guiness advert.

Guiness black is a drink they are trying to launch - it is NOT related to skin colour at all

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The NF were well known to recruit outside UK football stadia were they not?

This isn't a criticism of any club, merely an observation of what went on in those periods of parts of 1970s and 1980s. With the best will in the world, would Bristol City have been an exception to something that went on nationally?

Last time I saw NF selling papers outside of a ground was Elland Road around 1988 or -89. Don't personally recall seeing it at City, but I have no idea if it ever went on or not.

1 minute ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Last time I saw NF selling papers outside of a ground was Elland Road around 1988 or -89. Don't personally recall seeing it at City, but I have no idea if it ever went on or not.

The only non-mainstream publication I was buying around that time was The Bountyhunter

Whatever became of them, I sometimes wonder . . . 

Depends on your definition of problem. 

Are their instances? Probably. Is it a continual, systematic issue that causes difficulty, no.

For the record I have never heard racist abuse used at Ashton Gate.

My toilet has blocked once in the last 18 months. It was very annoying when it happened, I don’t think my house as a problem with its drains however.

I have heard a few racist things at City games in recent seasons.

One of our fans was calling Diedhiou 'Nutella' during the friendly against FC Twente. Probably Diedhiou's first game at the Gate. He was saying it loud enough for people near him to hear, but not shouting it out.

Another time a guy shouted out 'You useless black ****' to Diedhiou.

Another time i was in an uber by KFC and a fan walking out of ground was shouting numerous things to an Afghan driver. Driver was crying as we chatted afterwards. 

We have a minority disgusting fanbase just like the next team.

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Yes they did outside some grounds.

Ours wasnt 1 of them, dunno about rovers.

Ask how many people joined the nf around south bristol in the 80s.

We arent that naive.

A city that elects Tony Benn will never be one that has a problem with fascism.

I miss him. 

54 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I have heard a few racist things at City games in recent seasons.

One of our fans was calling Diedhiou 'Nutella' during the friendly against FC Twente. Probably Diedhiou's first game at the Gate. He was saying it loud enough for people near him to hear, but not shouting it out.

Another time a guy shouted out 'You useless black ****' to Diedhiou.

Another time i was in an uber by KFC and a fan walking out of ground was shouting numerous things to an Afghan driver. Driver was crying as we chatted afterwards. 

We have a minority disgusting fanbase just like the next team.

Only heard one, and technically it didn't happen. 

I don't know if anyone recalls the sikh ref? Terrible at his job but along with Uriah Rennie the only BAME official at the time. Can't remember the fellas name. 

Anyway, he was shite at a game at AG, real bad. A bloke a few rows in front of me stands up and screams at the top of his lungs "ref you f*****g...." And then sits down. 

Everyone knew what he was thinking and it was an awkward moment until someone lightened the mood by adding "prickkkk!". 

This goes into what I was saying about quiet racists still being racists. 

15 minutes ago, J-mat said:

A city that elects Tony Benn will never be one that has a problem with fascism.

I miss him. 

There's always a problem with it sadly mate, even here. It's incumbent upon us to challenge and defeat it whenever it appears.

I miss him too, especially viewing the careerist lightweights or populist bombscares who have replaced people like him in all of the parties.

I can’t agree with those that think  @swampy has a point with his/her hypocrite post. 
Sheepshagger to me is not in the slightest bit racist, strangely enough it’s sang towards them as Wales has lots and lots of sheep! Cardiff fans even sing about it themselves ffs! So Going by your logic all of those saying Darrell Clarke manually manipulates off dogs are racists too? Those stickers are plastered everywhere.

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thanks, that helps clear some of that one up!

Would also add that brought WSC yesterday and last night read something on Millwall- seems the action plan was more substantive than a fine and has cost them so far in the region od £600,000- so I'll row back a bit on my criticism of Millwall and the FA!

Called quite an innovative approach actually.

The 'Pikey' thing doesn't surprise- remember hearing relatively casual use of the term from Greater Londonish/Kent, ie that general area- know a few from that area.

believe what you will mr.p………...

4 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

believe what you will mr.p………...

Eh?

Can only go on what's in the public domain tbh Archie. And having listened to the "Rather be a **** or *****" it's genuinely hard to tell which one they were using- I've got an open mind on which they were using personally.

Leaning towards them singing "Rather be a ****" if anything- but the evidence from Phil in France suggested otherwise.

7 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Sheepshagger to me is not in the slightest bit racist, strangely enough it’s sang towards them as Wales has lots and lots of sheep! Cardiff fans even sing about it themselves ffs! So Going by your logic all of those saying Darrell Clarke manually manipulates off dogs are racists too? Those stickers are plastered everywhere.

I tend to agree with you that accusing our Welsh friends of being 'sheepshaggers' is not racist: puerile, abusive, even xenophobic banter, perhaps, but probably not racist.

I can accept that the chants towards Leicester fans about 'poppadoms' and 'small town in India' are very near the mark, but are they really racist? I have heard chants towards City fans about being a small town in Wales. Surely that is the same sort of 'banter' and, quite rightly, is just laughed off.

On a similar note, whilst I don't consider the chant towards Brighton fans about holding hands to be homophobic, I have heard other chants that are both vulgar and homophobic: there is a fine margin between banter and homophobia/racism.

Incidentally, I am not sure how you associate Darrell Clarke and his (alleged) manual manipulation of dogs with racism....  

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Nope. 

Yeah, I'm not the world famous lead singer of Massive Attack ? @PHILINFRANCE 

Regarding Millwall, they were almost certainly singing the worse of the two chants, the Dockers Upper stand at the Den will sing or shout literally whatever they can get away with, and sometimes at their own players. It's also the same chant I consider as the last mass racism I heard at Ashton Gate and not more than 10-15 years ago (something I deeply resented at the time).

32 minutes ago, Olé said:

Yeah, I'm not the world famous lead singer of Massive Attack ? @PHILINFRANCE 

Regarding Millwall, they were almost certainly singing the worse of the two chants, the Dockers Upper stand at the Den will sing or shout literally whatever they can get away with, and sometimes at their own players. It's also the same chant I consider as the last mass racism I heard at Ashton Gate and not more than 10-15 years ago (something I deeply resented at the time).

Well, Well.

Firstly, I do apologise.

I suspect we are from different generations and have different musical tastes ?, and whilst I have obviously heard of Massive Attack, and heard their two 'hits', Unfinished Sympathy and Teardrop, I don't believe I have ever seen them perform (on screen, obviously), and I most certainly wouldn't be able to name any of their band members.

Hence, when I read that a 'fanzine' had been inspired by somebody called 'Rob', I wondered whether it was you: I seem to recall that your name is Rob and that you are involved in producing City-themed merchandise, but may be mistaken - probably best to stop there, holes and digging and all that ?.

Re. Millwall, I am sure you are correct, which is unfortunate as I was convinced my Millwall supporting acquaintance was answering my query in good faith.

Anyway, whatever your name is, I do enjoy your well-written reports and look forward to reading the next one on the Luton match this Saturday - I only went there once and ended up chatting with the late Eric Morecambe in the Luton supporters club bar, having been chased there after the match by a marauding group of Luton fans.   

12 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I tend to agree with you that accusing our Welsh friends of being 'sheepshaggers' is not racist: puerile, abusive, even xenophobic banter, perhaps, but probably not racist.

I can accept that the chants towards Leicester fans about 'poppadoms' and 'small town in India' are very near the mark, but are they really racist? I have heard chants towards City fans about being a small town in Wales. Surely that is the same sort of 'banter' and, quite rightly, is just laughed off.

On a similar note, whilst I don't consider the chant towards Brighton fans about holding hands to be homophobic, I have heard other chants that are both vulgar and homophobic: there is a fine margin between banter and homophobia/racism.

Incidentally, I am not sure how you associate Darrell Clarke and his (alleged) manual manipulation of dogs with racism....  

I understand the point you're making but not sure I agree with it: when deciding if both are "just banter" I don't think there is an equivalence between 1) Bristol's geographical proximity to Wales and 2) Leicester's racial demographic.

Archived