IGNORED

Italian FA says 'No to racism'

Unan

24 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

I can't wait for them to explain the thinking behind this one.

Apparently we are all monkeys.

"I've always been painting monkeys for five to six years, so I thought I'd make this work to teach that we're all apes, I made the western monkey with blue and white eyes, the Asian monkey with almond-shaped eyes and the black monkey positioned in the centre, where everything comes from. The monkey becomes the spark to teach everyone that there is no difference, there is no man or monkey, we are all alike. If anything we are all monkeys."

58 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

I can't wait for them to explain the thinking behind this one.

The artist does actually explain himself.

"I decided to portray monkeys to talk about racism because they are the metaphor for human beings. Last year I was at the stadium to see Inter v Napoli [a match in which Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly was racially abused] and I felt humiliated, everyone was shouting 'monkey' at Koulibaly, a player I respect."

Then he goes on to say what's already been quoted.

32 minutes ago, bristolmoose said:

"I've always been painting monkeys for five to six years, so I thought I'd make this work to teach that we're all apes, I made the western monkey with blue and white eyes, the Asian monkey with almond-shaped eyes and the black monkey positioned in the centre, where everything comes from. The monkey becomes the spark to teach everyone that there is no difference, there is no man or monkey, we are all alike. If anything we are all monkeys."

To be fair to the guy once it is explained I can kind of see where he is coming from - he's trying to make the point that despite looking different on the outside we are all the same inside. The thing is he's picked an animal that has an alternative meaning when used in this context, so it doesn't look too great on the face of it. I feel like this is just a case where you do need to give the guy and the league some benefit of the doubt. He's using a monkey (I think it's technically a Chimpanzee - so an ape not a monkey) because that's the chant, then he's tried to turn it on his head and effectively say "Yeh black people might be monkeys - but so are you, and so are Asians". It's a crude message and it's pretty easy to have some knee-jerk outrage to; but I don't think he's trying to be racist.

The broader problem is that if you need all this context in order to interpret the pictures as intended - then they aren't working. They clearly don't work as intended if they're just stuck up randomly with no explanation and people's initial reaction is "Wow, that's kind of inappropriate".

11 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

The artist does actually explain himself.

"I decided to portray monkeys to talk about racism because they are the metaphor for human beings. Last year I was at the stadium to see Inter v Napoli [a match in which Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly was racially abused] and I felt humiliated, everyone was shouting 'monkey' at Koulibaly, a player I respect."

Then he goes on to say what's already been quoted.

To be fair to the guy once it is explained I can kind of see where he is coming from - he's trying to make the point that despite looking different on the outside we are all the same inside. The thing is he's picked an animal that has an alternative meaning when used in this context, so it doesn't look too great on the face of it. I feel like this is just a case where you do need to give the guy and the league some benefit of the doubt. He's using a monkey (I think it's technically a Chimpanzee - so an ape not a monkey) because that's the chant, then he's tried to turn it on his head and effectively say "Yeh black people might be monkeys - but so are you, and so are Asians". It's a crude message and it's pretty easy to have some knee-jerk outrage to; but I don't think he's trying to be racist.

The broader problem is that if you need all this context in order to interpret the pictures as intended - then they aren't working. They clearly don't work as intended if they're just stuck up randomly with no explanation and people's initial reaction is "Wow, that's kind of inappropriate".

Kinda of makes sense now, but bloody hell, its a risky approach to take. 

51 minutes ago, bristolmoose said:

Has anyone explained the difference between monkeys and apes to this artist?

5 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Kinda of makes sense now, but bloody hell, its a risky approach to take. 

The tweet that OP quotes is pretty clearly an attempt to elicit a quick "what the ****?". Show anyone some dodgy Chimp paintings and a line that says "this is an anti-racism campaign". Of course, without the context, without the explanation, it seems outrageous. That's why it doesn't work; it is basically trying to be too clever in conveying what should be a simple message.

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Possibly been lost in translation. If the artist spoke in Italian and that was translated then it's possible it's the translator who needs the explanation. Using google translate it looks like Italian may not even have a word for what we call "Monkeys" and another for what we call "Apes".

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think this is the problem 

ape = two arms two legs one head good at climbing trees.

monkey = two arms two legs one head good at climbing trees.

humans = two arms two legs one head good at climbing trees(when they were young).

I know there are exceptions but on the whole we are all the same.

2 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

Christ did he actually do those eyes on the Asian ape. 

This has to be a bad joke surely.

What is wrong with the eyes? He's drawn factually typical Caucasoid eyes on one monkey/ape, factually typical Negroid eyes on a second, and factually typical Mongoloid eyes on the third. All three of the broadest categories of Homo Sapiens are represented equally and fairly.  

20 minutes ago, reddoh said:

I think this is the problem 

ape = two arms two legs one head good at climbing trees.

monkey = two arms two legs one head good at climbing trees.

humans = two arms two legs one head good at climbing trees(when they were young).

I know there are exceptions but on the whole we are all the same.

Monkeys have tails as a general rule. Also apes have stronger, more mobile shoulders, so can swing between branches, whereas monkeys tend to scurry along them and jump. Apes can also stand on two legs and have a greater intelligence, so can behave in human-like ways.

I knew that gorilla safari in Rwanda would leave me with something more than just an intestinal parasite!

16 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Monkeys have tails as a general rule. Also apes have stronger, more mobile shoulders, so can swing between branches, whereas monkeys tend to scurry along them and jump. Apes can also stand on two legs and have a greater intelligence, so can behave in human-like ways.

I knew that gorilla safari in Rwanda would leave me with something more than just an intestinal parasite!

that parasite has a right to live as well sorry.

To be honest are Humans that intelligent we worship bits of paper or plastic and don't give a flying f about the planet?

and trust me I am not remotely a green inactivist let alone activist.

38 minutes ago, reddoh said:

that parasite has a right to live as well sorry.

To be honest are Humans that intelligent we worship bits of paper or plastic and don't give a flying f about the planet?

and trust me I am not remotely a green inactivist let alone activist.

After December 12th, I'm prepared to concede that lowland gorillas may have the edge in the intelligence stakes,

8 hours ago, spudski said:

Gotta love the Italians...love the Country and people, but they really do think on a different tangent to most. 

Try convincing them queuing is a civilised thing to do...it's like talking to Aliens. They just don't think like us.

That’s basically any country other than the UK from my experience. France, Germany, Italy, Spain....queueing seems a completely alien concept everywhere but here. 

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

That’s basically any country other than the UK from my experience. France, Germany, Italy, Spain....queueing seems a completely alien concept everywhere but here. 

Fair point...although from my experience Italy is the worse.

I've spoken to my Italian friends about it. They see it as, if you can gain an advantage by being clever or sneaky, then congratulations are in order. They don't get angry...they admire it. They hold those values it seems in nearly everything they do. Especially the football :laugh:

I love driving over there...everyone driving hard, concentrating...the traffic flows, no congestion like we have, they keep it moving by driving...not dawdling like here. No road rage...just going for it.

34 minutes ago, spudski said:

Fair point...although from my experience Italy is the worse.

I've spoken to my Italian friends about it. They see it as, if you can gain an advantage by being clever or sneaky, then congratulations are in order. They don't get angry...they admire it. They hold those values it seems in nearly everything they do. Especially the football :laugh:

I love driving over there...everyone driving hard, concentrating...the traffic flows, no congestion like we have, they keep it moving by driving...not dawdling like here. No road rage...just going for it.

The only reason they have mirrors on cars and motorcycles is to check one's haircut hasn't moved out of place. 

25 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

The only reason they have mirrors on cars and motorcycles is to check one's haircut hasn't moved out of place. 

I was on a beach in Rimini and saw an Italian wearing Speedos, that had a woman's compact mirror attached to the drawstring...constantly preening ????

43 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

It's true.. 

Italians holiday in Malta like Brummies do in W-S-M. They have absolutely no interaction with anyone else besides their own reflection... 

Archived