IGNORED

The Hopes And Fears Of All The Years Are Met In LEE Tonight

Curr Avon

Will Santa give LJ the gift of inspiration this Christmas? The one that our Gaffer appears to have lost following three sorry performances.

Just two weeks ago City were outplaying arguably the Championship's best footballing side in Fulham, on their own patch. Our second goal, a sweeping move from left to right was a thing of beauty, with passing and movement worthy of Manchester City.

They say that form is temporary, but class is permanent.

I believe that our players possess the qualities to still mount a play-off challenge. But can LJ get his mojo back?

Over to you Santa.

15 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Just two weeks ago City were outplaying arguably the Championship's best footballing side in Fulham, on their own patch.

Do you honestly think we outplayed Fulham?

I know people see games differently but come on!

PS Judging by some of your recent topics I really hope that you get something from santa to occupy your spare time a bit more 

7 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Do you honestly think we outplayed Fulham?

I know people see games differently but come on!

PS Judging by some of your recent topics I really hope that you get something from santa to occupy your spare time a bit more 

Fair point ADBA! I'm going to take this bit of spare time to wish you and your family a very happy Christmas.

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Get the players in for extra training on Christmas Day and keep them off the turkey and stuffing.  We always play shite on Boxing Day.

I also think the players contracts need to be more peeformance based.  They are paid way too much for losing.  Losing doesn't seem to hurt enough.

Paid to much to lose? 

If your boss was to offer you £15000+ a week to do your job would you say turn it down? most footballers get a 10 year career so they have to make as much money as they can in that time just like the rest of us do

Plus being heartless and making players miss xmas with kids and families is going keep them on your side aint it

4 minutes ago, Highguy said:

Paid to much to lose? 

If your boss was to offer you £15000+ a week to do your job would you say turn it down? most footballers get a 10 year career so they have to make as much money as they can in that time just like the rest of us do

Plus being heartless and making players miss xmas with kids and families is going keep them on your side aint it

15k to win a football match seems fair enough, but being paid 45k to lose 3 games on the trot whilst hardly having a shot on target doesn't seem right to me.

Losing has to hurt more with extra training, less time off and less money.  Of course, this can be balanced out when they perform and win games.

1 hour ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

Harsh - Curr's on a roll with his Xmas threads imo - and don't forget he has the ear of LJ every 2 years too!

Among the fairly depressing threads on OTIB atm. I for one am enjoying the odd quirky one from Curr - reckon he's stuck up in Sheffield and he'll be a lot less active on here when he gets back.

Keep 'em coming Curr. :yes:

2 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Will Santa give LJ the gift of inspiration this Christmas? The one that our Gaffer appears to have lost following three sorry performances.

Just two weeks ago City were outplaying arguably the Championship's best footballing side in Fulham, on their own patch. Our second goal, a sweeping move from left to right was a thing of beauty, with passing and movement worthy of Manchester City.

They say that form is temporary, but class is permanent.

I believe that our players possess the qualities to still mount a play-off challenge. But can LJ get his mojo back?

Over to you Santa.

Outplaying Fulham you sure

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Get the players in for extra training on Christmas Day and keep them off the turkey and stuffing.  We always play shite on Boxing Day.

I also think the players contracts need to be more peeformance based.  They are paid way too much for losing.  Losing doesn't seem to hurt enough.

I remember Brian Clough saying something like “pay players £1,000 a week with a £50,000 win bonus, not the other way round, then you’d see more of ‘em running themselves into the ground...” - I tend to agree

12 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I remember Brian Clough saying something like “pay players £1,000 a week with a £50,000 win bonus, not the other way round, then you’d see more of ‘em running themselves into the ground...” - I tend to agree

Upon his retirement from management in 1993, the notoriously colourful Brian Clough remarked: “The only agent in the ‘60s was 007, and he just shagged women, not entire football clubs”.

I've been (probably a bit too) critical in recent weeks, but you can't take away the Fulham win. We did play well that day for a long period, and I did feel we deserved all 3 pts. Hoping we can get back a little more of our spirit and togetherness and move on again.

Merry Christmas, LJ and all the boys at BCFC

Good luck at Charlton and C O Y R  !

Merry Christmas, OTIBers too

All the best to everyone & enjoy your Christmases.

33 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I've been (probably a bit too) critical in recent weeks, but you can't take away the Fulham win. We did play well that day for a long period, and I did feel we deserved all 3 pts. Hoping we can get back a little more of our spirit and togetherness and move on again.

I also think we were rather unlucky v Wednesday, a scoreless draw , the match is forgotten and we move onto Charlton with hope in our hearts . 

The ref won the game for the Yorkshiremen. 

Still three points in the next match and Christmas cheer will endure.

COYR 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I also think we were rather unlucky v Wednesday, a scoreless draw , the match is forgotten and we move onto Charlton with hope in our hearts . 

COYR 

Amen to that Major. 

Sunday was weird. I came away from Hillsborough feeling circumspect about the result. I'd usually be pissed off after such a poor display, but I wasn't bothered. Life's too short to get angry at football results. God, I'm getting old

Merry Christmas to you all and here's to an upturn, starting at The Valley.

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

I think there is some truth in what you say @Major Isewater

Trouble is, I'm not a very rational bloke after City lose 3 games in a row  :laugh:

Merry Xmas!

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

COYR 

see above

4 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

15k to win a football match seems fair enough, but being paid 45k to lose 3 games on the trot whilst hardly having a shot on target doesn't seem right to me.

Losing has to hurt more with extra training, less time off and less money.  Of course, this can be balanced out when they perform and win games.

So what about if you was having at work and your boss says im not happy with how your performing you have to work christmas day also im not paying you your wages how are you going react? You still going want to keep working there?

What the players earn is none of our buisness its lansdown paying them not us 

Problem is with the management and not playing to our better players strengths not how much the players earn

5 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

This is a nonsense theory else no team would ever worry about winning? Money probably has little to do with performance quality

9 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Cloughie was a legendary manager - the quote was in his autobiography I think - it would certainly wake up a few prima donnas if it were true ....

PFA, Agents, supply and demand to name 3 

Ain't happening, for better or worse.

Most that can be done to grossly contradict player power is to drop, stick in the reserves, freeze out. Player is getting paid well anyway, in a sense what do they care.

How successful would Clough etc be with modern player power? Even were he starting out or not so established, Ferguson. 

Roy Keane got stuck into players didn't he, didn't do him a lot of good in the end at Sunderland or mostly at Ipswich.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Not necessarily, you’d find out that your boss moves the goalposts and it all gets subjective. ?

Yeah, I've had some of that Dave.  But there is nothing subjective about the difference between 3 points and 0 points.  Lose and they should get a hard time balanced with incentives for winning and neutral for draws.  And no getting out of it by saying we played well but still lost because you sometimes play poorly when you win too.

3 losses on the bounce from that team should equal a hard time for the players, I think.

In saying that, the stick should always be balanced with a few carrots.

Archived