IGNORED

Managerial Alternatives

bcfcnick

33 minutes ago, !james said:

We can certainly do a lot better than Sherwood! Been out of the game as a manager since 2015, had a disastrous spell as director of football at Swindon which proved what a massive ego and out of his depth he was. 

If you are looking at managers who got out of this division within our level then Aitor Karanka, Slavisa Jokaovic, Chris Hughton. Nigel Pearson but obviously just been taken by Watford. 

I really rate Alex Neil at Preston but no chance of that.

There's also the lower league/foreign model which has been successful for Huddersfield (Wagner) and Swansea (Potter) but risky and would need to work within the system we have with Ashton. 

Nigel clough has done wonders on a shoestring budget and if you want an experienced name Mark Hughes is without a club 

8 minutes ago, Xiled said:

This is fascinating. No disrespect to you for this opinion or anyone else who has mentioned him but he's the one candidate who we know for certain has a recent track record of not being up to the job at this level! (With us and Birmingham)

I appreciate the players were different, the money available for signings was different but there are some things we do know from his time in the Championship with us:

- He didn't build on a platform of amazing success at League 1

- He fell out with Steve Lansdown

- He had no idea how use the players he did have available to stem an inevitable fall into the bottom three

- He seemingly didn't trust young (academy) players

I'll always give him huge credit for the season we were promoted but he is absolutely the wrong choice to appoint now. Let's look forwards, not backwards.

There could be a whole thread on this but I believe Cotts was badly let down on transfers in the promotion summer, and you only have to look at where most of his promotion squad are playing to know that they were capable of staying in the Championship. 

He needed to be backed and given time, not sacked.

• Admin
39 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

But.....if LJ goes, I think a cheeky £10 on Moyes is the value bet. Itching to get back into management, persona non grata in Prem and BCFC links. Could definitely see that happening.

Don’t start that rumour, @RedM won’t be able to contain herself.......

1 hour ago, Hare Island said:

As a player hundreds of premier league appearances, captained a team to the premier league title, England international. As a manager has managed in the premier league, and whilst he has a lot to prove I think us fans can be unrealistic - just look at current favourite Hughton who would be highly unlikely to take the City job. Like it or not Sherwood is about our level atm.

Absolute rubbish

Not sure how popular an appointment GJ was, but I don’t remember the masses being that enamoured with him.  Same with Cotterill....yet both brought relative success (promotion).  GJ almost got us to the Prem.

So, by that previous form, we need someone the fans don’t want!!  Ok, I jest. ?

Whenever LJ going comes up, I tout around 3 names:

Garry Monk - thats off, now he’s at Wednesday

Uwe Rosler - at Malmo (the last manager from Malmo didn’t go well, but hey-ho)

Paul Cook - at Wigan

At this time, I’d add:

Jokanovic

Ainsworth

and....Moyes

19 minutes ago, Xiled said:

This is fascinating. No disrespect to you for this opinion or anyone else who has mentioned him but he's the one candidate who we know for certain has a recent track record of not being up to the job at this level! (With us and Birmingham)

I appreciate the players were different, the money available for signings was different but there are some things we do know from his time in the Championship with us:

- He didn't build on a platform of amazing success at League 1

- He fell out with Steve Lansdown

- He had no idea how use the players he did have available to stem an inevitable fall into the bottom three

- He seemingly didn't trust young (academy) players

I'll always give him huge credit for the season we were promoted but he is absolutely the wrong choice to appoint now. Let's look forwards, not backwards.

Cotterill played a simple game based on his players being better than the opposition almost the opposite of LJ. 5 headline grabbing away wins in a row v Fulham he would not get. Points accumulating by strolling past Barnsley, Wigan, Luton, Charlton, Millwall etc etc that has been beyond LJ yes Cotts would.

53 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Steve Cotterill...

... we can wish.

The only manager not appointed by SL. The only manager to bring us a title in my lifetime. But fired by SL for his wonder boy.

Yeah - the man who would have brought us Dwight Gayle and Harry Maguire (whatever happened to him??) but they’d have cost too much.... unlike the current bloated underperforming squad. 

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well, as a player he won the premier league and the championship ...

Big deal, that makes him a great manager all of a sudden does it?  He won the league as a player so long ago I’d forgotten it, if that’s the qualification for being our manager let’s give Bobby Charlton a call, see if he fancies it.  Absolute rubbish people come out with, Tim Sherwood for next manager is the worst shout I’ve ever seen on here, and that’s saying something!

Unless we have a really poor display and lose against Luton, then he won't be going anywhere until the Summer at least.

That being said, I don't think he will be afforded one more "long losing streak".

We'll probably beat Luton, the players will have found their "hunger and desire" again, and the run will be over. We'll have patchy form over the next month, then put a few wins together to "make a run at the playoffs" before falling short towards the middle/end of April.

I think Moyes would take the job if offered (and still free), but don't think that SL would pay him what he would want.

2 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Big deal, that makes him a great manager all of a sudden does it?  He won the league as a player so long ago I’d forgotten it, if that’s the qualification for being our manager let’s give Bobby Charlton a call, see if he fancies it.  Absolute rubbish people come out with, Tim Sherwood for next manager is the worst shout I’ve ever seen on here, and that’s saying something!

You asked what he’d done as a player so you must’ve thought it relevant?  unfortunately you know so little about football that rather than reinforce your argument it weakened it. But don’t let that get in the way of slagging off other posters.

4 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Eh?! Within your previous post you asked ‘what has Sherwood ever achieved as a player?’ - I responded saying he'd won the premier league and the championship as a player - and you post the response above - I was just replying to your question ....  not sure why you are asking me why his playing record “makes him a great Manager all of a sudden does it?” - I merely responded to your question about what he’d achieved as a player ....

3 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

You asked what he’d done as a player so you must’ve thought it relevant?  unfortunately you know so little about football that rather than reinforce your argument it weakened it. But don’t let that get in the way of slagging off other posters.

“Like” 

12 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

Whatever mate, if you think Tim Sherwood is a good manager then good luck to you

31 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Yeah - the man who would have brought us Dwight Gayle and Harry Maguire (whatever happened to him??) but they’d have cost too much.... unlike the current bloated underperforming squad. 

Andre Gray from Brentford, not Gayle. Gayle was never going to come here.

34 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

And to be fair that is a thing...SC and MA have spent a whole shitonne of money....SC wanted a forward at 9m and six years down the road we are here!

Bloated and under performing is spot on!!!!! A lot of the players that got us cash and helped toward a year end profit were SC players....Unless I am truly mistaken?

Wouldn’t mind Nigel Adkins. Did a good job at Hull despite a despot owner and has got a team promoted to the Premier League, albeit a while ago.

Works well with homegrown players ala Southampton.

Has a point to prove and not likely to walk into a job in a random other country like some of the potential LJ replacements.

Not perfect but wouldn’t mind seeing him in the hotseat.

He cant take a job in the premier league until next season so why not ask poch if he's up for doing it to pass his free time??

I think the next to games are must win for LJ to save his job fans have started turning on him and after seeing the goals back wonder if the changing room still believe im him?

30 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Andre Gray from Brentford, not Gayle. Gayle was never going to come here.

He was trying for one or the other...both currently at premier league clubs and both better than any permanent striker signed since. 

To think Maguire would have cost about half a Kalas at the time. 

Archived