IGNORED

Managerial Alternatives

bcfcnick

5 minutes ago, Highguy said:

He cant take a job in the premier league until next season so why not ask poch if he's up for doing it to pass his free time??

I think the next to games are must win for LJ to save his job fans have started turning on him and after seeing the goals back wonder if the changing room still believe im him?

He sounded all over the place in the post-match interview, like he was confused. Struggling for excuses.  I wonder whether he’s now just over thinking everything to a stupid degree. 

1 hour ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Why do you want us to employ proven failures?

With respect, Cotts didn’t have half the backing that Lee has had. 

I honestly believe we’d be higher than 10th with Cotts in charge if he had the same resources. So I think it’s pretty harsh to call him a proven failure.

45 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

And to be fair that is a thing...SC and MA have spent a whole shitonne of money....SC wanted a forward at 9m and six years down the road we are here!

Bloated and under performing is spot on!!!!! A lot of the players that got us cash and helped toward a year end profit were SC players....Unless I am truly mistaken?

I don't want to go back down the financial path to summer 2015 but IMO it wasn't altogether feasible at that time.

I wonder had Cotts waited it out a year and just aimed at lower midtable or thereabouts, might he have reaped the rewards of the revamped ground, corporate facilities, production line etc. That League One double side though, failed somewhat more than I thought it would...were we so different in ability to Sheffield United's title season in 2016/17? I think not!

@Lew-T Didn't have half the resources to go and spend that under Cotts either- not his fault but we were very much in a phase of growth!

Consider the Turnover:

1. 2015/16...Turnover £14,175,396
  2. 2016/17...Turnover £21,248,355
  3. 2017/18...Turnover £25,975,432
  4. 2018/19...Turnover £30,250,718

Consider the Profit on disposal of Player Contracts:

1. 2015/16...Profit on disposal of Player Contracts £81,358
  2. 2016/17....Profit on disposal of Player Contracts £13,603,739
  3. 2016/17....Profit on disposal of Player Contracts £296,625
  4. 2016/17....Profit on disposal of Player Contracts £38,159,454

All of this creates a perfect storm for Johnson to have more, a lot more resources to play with than Cotterill. So the comparison is or can be a bit misleading.

@Mendip City Hughton is holding out for a PL job IMO. Won't be getting him at this level!

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't want to go bac k down the financial path to summer 2015 but IMO it wasn't altogether feasible at that time.

I wonder had Cotts waited it out a year and just aimed at lower midtable or thereabouts, might he have reaped the rewards of the revamped ground, corporate facilities, production line etc. That League One double side though, failed somewhat more than I thought it would...were we so different in ability to Sheffield United's title season in 2016/17? I think not!

@Lew-T Didn't have half the resources to go and spend that under Cotts either- not his fault but we were very much in a phase of growth!

I understand what you’re saying but if ever there was a time to roll the dice supplement those players and keep the momentum going... it was then.  

We’ve wasted a staggering amount of average players since then. There don’t seem to be any kids coming through and little by way of assets to sell right now. 

54 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

I understand what you’re saying but if ever there was a time to roll the dice supplement those players and keep the momentum going... it was then.  

We’ve wasted a staggering amount of average players since then. There don’t seem to be any kids coming through and little by way of assets to sell right now. 

Average players...or a manager who struggles to get the best out of what he has?

Probably a bit of both...significant injuries in at least 4 or 5 cannot be overlooked also.

We may have fallen foul of FFP rules, embargo etc. That turnover level is possibly similar to Brentford and Preston now- they don't splash the cash, they have very good recruitment models and philosophy.

33 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Average players...or a manager who struggles to get the best out of what he has?

Probably a bit of both...injuries in at least 4 or 5 cannot be overlooked also.

We may have fallen foul of FFP rules, embargo etc. That turnover level is possibly similar to Brentford and Preston now- they don't splash the cash, they have very good recruitment models and philosophy.

I don’t think injuries are relevant. All squads have them. Apparently Charlton had 10 out today. 

FFP is interesting but I’d think the best way to deal with it is to carry a small squad of quality players and utilise your academy. 

Baker, Watkins, Wright, Pereira, Bakinson, Gilmartin, Rodri, adelakun, szmosics, Palmer are all out of favour or not up to standard and not helping FFP..... god knows how much else we’re still paying all the players out on loan... that won’t help. 

operate with 18-20 quality players knowing they have a chance and will get games. Supplement them with academy players who know they’ve got a chance to prove/disprove their ability at first team level. 

MA and SL have to take some responsibility for yet again the squad getting too big. It usually happens when you get through 2 or 3 managers quickly and they all bring in their own players. Lee’s managed to do it all on his own and now admits he needs to trim his own squad.... it’s madness! 

4 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

I don’t think injuries are relevant. All squads have them. Apparently Charlton had 10 out today. 

FFP is interesting but I’d think the best way to deal with it is to carry a small squad of quality players and utilise your academy. 

Baker, Watkins, Wright, Pereira, Bakinson, Gilmartin, Rodri, adelakun, szmosics, Palmer are all out of favour or not up to standard and not helping FFP..... god knows how much else we’re still paying all the players out on loan... that won’t help. 

operate with 18-20 quality players knowing they have a chance and will get games. Supplement them with academy players who know they’ve got a chance to prove/disprove their ability at first team level. 

MA and SL have to take some responsibility for yet again the squad getting too big. It usually happens when you get through 2 or 3 managers quickly and they all bring in their own players. Lee’s managed to do it all on his own and now admits he needs to trim his own squad.... it’s madness! 

When I say injuries, I'm talking medium to long term and the impact on individuals. For example, I believe that Hegeler, ONeil and Djuric- and that's just off the top of my head- would have been better if injured less. I accept all teams have them- let's not forget too that O'Dowda got a long term at a significant time, think he was on fire with 4 assists and a goal in 5 games or something- hit a really rich vein of form and them got crocked for months! He's less of a good example though, possibly.

Kind of agree...but again we come back to injuries! Also those academy players being sold for quite big bucks helped us with FFP- chicken and egg a bit.

Haven't a number of these had recurring or niggling injries too? Seem to recall Baker certainly, sure Watkins- though not up to standard- had a few, Wright too? Watkins btw was very decent at Barnsley. Pereira not up to standard? Bit early to say, in some ways. Chopping and changing positions doesn't help, not just for him but for a lot of players! RB and RWB have fairly significnantl differences in requirement. Gilmartin was only partially signed as a player, but a coach too, Rodri a free and gap filler, Adelakun? God knows- not loaning him out either last January or even summer 2019 hasn't helped his development, or his value, Szmodics perhaps should've been loaned and Palmer? Certainly not getting the best from him! Bakinson almost forgot, is he just not good enough- surely he should be on loan to help protect his value if not seen as the present/future?

Partially agree, but a number of these have mitigating factors- I've always thought 25 the optimum squad size personally. Injuries and suspensions you can get, as we've seen over the past 2 seasons and this one as well! Bit of a gamble to take though when fans demanding promotion yesterday...I think we have a two year window including this one before FFP becomes a factor once again.

Yeah agreed. Doesn't get the best out of what he has- unsure he can if anything. The turnover is a nonsense, seemed to settle down a bit at one point but is an absolute nonsense overall.

I think we’re nearly saying the same thing! 
just to be clear I described that lists as out of favour or not up to it. I don’t know which is which but certainly Palmer and Pereira are in the  out of favour camp (neither on the bench even today). Whether those two are up to it, I don’t know as they’ve not played much. It’s not a great picture for two summer signings. 

The official site has us with 28 first team players. That doesn’t include Matt Taylor, Paterson, Walsh, Morrell all of whom have first team experience and all too old to be referred to as academy prospects. Even if they’re being manoeuvred our, they’re still a financial drain (there are probably others I’ve not thought of). 

It is bonkers to have Taylor on loan at Oxford and Rodri not getting a sniff here... presumably at a combined cost far higher than hanging on to Taylor (who would have had loads of game time this season). 

It smacks of poor management (by whoever) and is definitely blocking the “pathway”. How on earth would a young player get a game right now? 

I do agree we’ve had lots of injuries at poor times but genuinely think it’s no worse than others. Interestingly, the bloke who scored Charlton’s winner today was a kid recalled from loan at Bromley due to their injuries. 

Anyway, Johnson’s not going anywhere so here’s hoping for a spectacular January of loads of ours and a couple of decent ins!! 

3 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Cotterill played a simple game based on his players being better than the opposition almost the opposite of LJ. 5 headline grabbing away wins in a row v Fulham he would not get. Points accumulating by strolling past Barnsley, Wigan, Luton, Charlton, Millwall etc etc that has been beyond LJ yes Cotts would.

Christ, the Championship isn't that easy!! Isn't that simple...

I see what you're saying but...

Drew with, and by all accounts should've beaten WBA today- check! Drew up there too and could've won too...

See Barnsley- battered WBA a bit a few wqeeks ago and though they're drawing games of late, they're generally having the better of them.

Quite probably. Terrible defensively though 3-3 vs Fulham today, gave Leeds a bit of a game at home a few weeks ago- quite probably though.

Draw, quite plausible here.

Again.

8 hours ago, Lew-T said:

With respect, Cotts didn’t have half the backing that Lee has had. 

I honestly believe we’d be higher than 10th with Cotts in charge if he had the same resources. So I think it’s pretty harsh to call him a proven failure.

Cotts was a complete failure at Brum when he had his chance, relegation zone, here-relegation zone. Any other jobs at this level? I don’t know of any.

12 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Cotts was a complete failure at Brum when he had his chance, relegation zone, here-relegation zone. Any other jobs at this level? I don’t know of any.

Again, Birmingham had financial problems. Not exactly dealt with a great hand on both occasions at the time. 

Still don’t think he had a fair crack at it to judge.

Archived