IGNORED

Bristol City v Wayne Rooney's Derby County Match Day 32

Septic Peg

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

Neither...we need an upgrade. And DaSilva for me is a left midfielder... he's useless at stopping crosses, but fantastic offensively.

Yep but that either means more money, better spread of budget across the squad or a better coaching network. Hunt can't defend either imo 

Do you consider defending a dying art or are there realistic targets we should be looking at? 

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Strange but true. Strange because I don’t get any overwhelming sense of excitement or great optimism on here. Cautious optimism maybe, but nothing more than that.

You’d think being right in the play off mix and top of the form table with 14 games to go should have us getting really excited.

I guess it’s because despite everything, we’re still not a very convincing side, especially at home.

The longer you've been a City fan the greater the sense, experience tells you, that even when things are going well, the next disaster is waiting just around the corner.

11 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Alan Parry was always a terrible commentator but Lee Hendrie as a pundit? Wow. Not even the slightest bit of research into how we play and why home form isn't great. When asked he just trotted out an unrelated cliche.

Like the love child of Chris Sutton and Robbie Savage.

People like him get employed because they are ex players. The fact that the majority seem to know nothing about the game, or are simply incapable of being articulate about it, and are too lazy to do any research, is neither here nor there.

42 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Sadly seems to be the default option when trying to "defend"a lead . i.e. take off a striker to "tighten things".

In my experience all too often it does completely the reverse as not defending from the front give the opposition a far greater ability to build from the back and exert more pressure in attack. Pressing/defending from the front usually causes the opposition to launch the ball long more often, which is far easier to defend.

Absolutely agree.

We ended up defending far too deeply, with no forward outlet.  Meaning that every time Derby came forward they had lots of time/space  and when we cleared it came straight back at us.

From being comfortable at 3-0  (at least as comfortable as it gets for us) we scrapped home 3-2 and if it had gone on much longer I think Derby were more likely to score than us.....I even had a flashback to that infamous Sunderland game....

Even before taking Wells off we were defending too deeply, allowing Derby the freedom to attack and then started defending once they were in the final third, a dangerous approach IMO.

As downedcity points out we don’t defend from the front, if we did, the opposition would have much less time/space to build and create attacks and it would be much better for my heart rate.

In the end it’s three points, but in true City fashion it was stressful to watch, a rollercoaster and didn’t fill me with any confidence.

3 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Would add to the accolades for Fam.

Immense, now with added skill. Pity about the miss at the end but awesome apart from that.

The man is a beast, and finally getting the credit he deserves.   Get him on a new contract,  for gods sake.

42 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

3 years to the day we were 3 nil up at derby and cocked it up thank **** not tonight but nearly......

Yeah as soon as Derby got their first all I could think about was that 3-3! To the day? Wow!

29 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Alan Parry was always a terrible commentator but Lee Hendrie as a pundit? 

They spent nearly an hour loving Derby and Rooney, and totally missing the dynamic of the game, then when we went 3-0, they did a U-turn, ironically just before Derby gave us a battering! Awful commentary. 

Johnson just frustrates me so much, He is such a reactive manager and just cant seem to be proactive about anything. were 3 up and hes sitting there not knowing what to do until Derby score a couple of goals. You can see him thinking, well i wasn't expecting this i haven't written down what to do if we were 3 up! He has the potential to be a great manager i just think he needs someone with some experience stood next to him to give him some guidance in decision making.

Fair play tho he got the result just wish i didnt need to suffer a heart attack every time. 

COYR

36 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Yes the feeling that it will all end in tears is inescapable for us.

Why is that though? completely different players yet you know when we are winning even 3-0 if the other team score with maybe 25ish minutes to go we are in for a bumpy ride yet when we had a chance to score with 2 mins to go to kill the game off what do we do miss both chances and turn what could have been a convincing moral boosting victory into a game despite winning leaves us with a sense of disappointment.  

For an hour that was an almost faultless performance. First 20 minutes were tough but we saw it out and hurt them frequently with Bentley having to do little.

All the problems for us came down the side with Hunt and Elliasson after the hour mark. Elliasson should have been taken off a lot sooner.

Horrible watch in the last 10 minutes but a vital 3 points. 

Thought Fammy and JD were brilliant.

Just reflecting on the late chances we had to wrap it up.  Fammy through with just the keeper to beat, really should have scored, however, I thought Weimann’s chance was an even better one. He had time to bring the ball under control and then shoot, instead he attempted a first time shot that was a horrible miss. 

Chuffed with that performance, really disappointed with the 2 goals conceded as I thought 3-0 / 3-1 would have been about right as I thought we controlled the game well, let Derby have a load of pointless possession but they created little, one from a lovely cross, and the other from inexplicable defending from Hunt. 

We had a plan, and executed it and I enjoyed watching. 

Fam was an absolute ******* monster tonight. 

13 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Just reflecting on the late chances we had to wrap it up.  Fammy through with just the keeper to beat, really should have scored, however, I thought Weimann’s chance was an even better one. He had time to bring the ball under control and then shoot, instead he attempted a first time shot that was a horrible miss. 

Agree, Weimann has become so poor. That said I was gobsmacked LJ actually left his favourite out of the starting 11, long may it continue.

Archived