IGNORED

Bristol City v Wayne Rooney's Derby County Match Day 32

Septic Peg

44 minutes ago, tunnie12345 said:

Johnson just frustrates me so much, He is such a reactive manager and just cant seem to be proactive about anything. were 3 up and hes sitting there not knowing what to do until Derby score a couple of goals. You can see him thinking, well i wasn't expecting this i haven't written down what to do if we were 3 up! He has the potential to be a great manager i just think he needs someone with some experience stood next to him to give him some guidance in decision making.

Fair play tho he got the result just wish i didnt need to suffer a heart attack every time. 

COYR

‘You can see him thinking’?  How does that work then?

I thought the subs were spot on.

6 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I just wish we'd learn to play it out from the back. I lost count of the times Bentley hoofed it upfield straight to one of their players, putting us on the backfoot again

Odd.  I thought that we consistently put Derby under pressure through Bentley’s long  kicks.

32 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

‘You can see him thinking’?  How does that work then?

I thought the subs were spot on.

This is my point it took for Derby to get a foothold back in befor he would do anything. 3 up at home with 30 mins to go. You tighten things up and shut up shop but he did nothing until Derby were back in it. Yes the subs after were good which is why I say he is a reactive manager. But a great manager would have done something to make sure there was no way back in the game for them. 

Whoever said we played like an away side, at home, has it spot on for me.

Yes, Derby had the ball a lot but in the middle and their defensive third, we know we can do that and handled it very well apart from the last 15.

Fam MOTM for me, closely followed by Henriksen.

Have we finally found a way to play at home? The fans know what we're doing so I, for one, can live with it but that last 10, Jesus Lee, O' Dowda and Rowe? Really? Some of us are past 50 and can't handle your subs and the 'excitement' they bring!

As for Derby, lovely to watch their football but they were pretty toothless for a fair share of the game. Thankfully, they went for it too late. :)

Well done City, COYR.

1 hour ago, tunnie12345 said:

Johnson just frustrates me so much, He is such a reactive manager and just cant seem to be proactive about anything. were 3 up and hes sitting there not knowing what to do until Derby score a couple of goals. You can see him thinking, well i wasn't expecting this i haven't written down what to do if we were 3 up! He has the potential to be a great manager i just think he needs someone with some experience stood next to him to give him some guidance in decision making.

Fair play tho he got the result just wish i didnt need to suffer a heart attack every time. 

COYR

I’m hardly LJs biggest drumbeater

But what did you want him to do just after we’d taken a 3 nil lead ?

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

The longer you've been a City fan the greater the sense, experience tells you, that even when things are going well, the next disaster is waiting just around the corner.

Of course your right but going by the reactions to your comment most of them have a hard lesson to learn, let's hope there truly are better times ahead, bet you like me would love to be proved wrong about our natural sense of foreboding, in my local they call me doom and gloom which is all down to watching city on the telly and expecting the worst, I wish I was wrong more often but even when we were three nil up said well at least we might win three two now, I get a lot of stick for it and wish I was wrong more often but again I was right tonight, wish like the rest of them watching didn't always fear the worst but that's what watching city for 50 odd years does for you unfortunately.

7 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I thought we were good tonight. I think excellent is a little OTT. 

The decision to bring Wells off was truly a shocker and nearly cost us 2 points. 

But a good win. Maybe we can be reinvigorated by the new players?

Disagree. We were losing the midfield at that point and we needed an extra man as Rooney was dictating too much.

Diedhiou is too important from defensive set pieces to take off so Wells the only logical sacrifice.

O'Dowda has been awful for well over 12 months now, but did well last night. Should have had an assist if Weimman had an ounce of composure and did really well to put a bit of pressure on Rooney. Made them rush and allowed Benkovic and Williams to deal with a lot more straight balls than they had been before the subs. 

I'm not sure we can play Niklas on the right though, two players who absolutely cannot defend leaves us open to a lot of crosses into the box. Might be worth switching Nik and Jamie round. 

6 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I just wish we'd learn to play it out from the back. I lost count of the times Bentley hoofed it upfield straight to one of their players, putting us on the backfoot again

It would be nice if we were a bit more mixed in our distribution, for sure. 

Bentley started a few good counter attacks with quick, accurate throws in the first half, but at the end of the game we really could have done with keeping the ball a little bit longer at times to kill the game.

Tough though, because the risk of playing out at that stage is conceding a goal. Hard to do that when the ball is at the other end of the pitch, so I can see the logic both ways.

7 hours ago, pillred said:

Why is that though? completely different players yet you know when we are winning even 3-0 if the other team score with maybe 25ish minutes to go we are in for a bumpy ride yet when we had a chance to score with 2 mins to go to kill the game off what do we do miss both chances and turn what could have been a convincing moral boosting victory into a game despite winning leaves us with a sense of disappointment.  

If you're honestly disappointed after that then get to the doctor, no piss taking. 

7 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Absolutely agree.

We ended up defending far too deeply, with no forward outlet.  Meaning that every time Derby came forward they had lots of time/space  and when we cleared it came straight back at us.

From being comfortable at 3-0  (at least as comfortable as it gets for us) we scrapped home 3-2 and if it had gone on much longer I think Derby were more likely to score than us.....I even had a flashback to that infamous Sunderland game....

Even before taking Wells off we were defending too deeply, allowing Derby the freedom to attack and then started defending once they were in the final third, a dangerous approach IMO.

As downedcity points out we don’t defend from the front, if we did, the opposition would have much less time/space to build and create attacks and it would be much better for my heart rate.

In the end it’s three points, but in true City fashion it was stressful to watch, a rollercoaster and didn’t fill me with any confidence.

You ok hun? 

9 hours ago, Natchfever said:

Yep. I think Derby may still be a factor in April so a win win. Fair play everyone on and off the pitch.. Could be better but that's disrespectful of a decent Derby. 

A Derby side , it should be highlighted, who had only lost one of their last eleven matches before last night .

We have just beaten a very good side who were on a great run .

The difference , as it mostly is in this division, is that we took our chances. 

12 hours ago, Gakoe said:

Ahhh, I've just stopped laughing! What a sweet victory. Unlucky sky you absolute f¥¢kin belters. The worst commentary I think I've ever heard. 

How many different pronunciations of Eliasson's name did they come up with?

Ellison, Ellinson, Alison, Ellianson, Elyson.

Thank God we don't stlll have Forbes Phillipson-Masters !

12 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

If you could sum up what it means to support Bristol City in 90 minutes then this would be it. Sublime in parts, ridiculous in others and overall, prone to giving us all a f****ing heart attack.

My blood pressure was through the roof by the end of the game, had to go and have a lie down. Mind you it was 11.45 here and well time for bed anyway. still felt as if it was a bit high this morning, the tablets help though.  Let's hope they can do better against Leeds on Saturday, I don't want the same symptoms then thank you City.

Archived