IGNORED

New music you're listening to

Kid in the Riot

On 20/05/2023 at 19:27, spudski said:

A classic pop tune that ticks nearly every box when making a ' hit'. Could be Coldplay or Snow Patrol on any other day. 

How many artists go off on their own trying to be 'artistic'...'alternative'...then come back to the basic ' hit formula'...

I actually agree. My first thought when listening to this was "Blur by numbers".

Not Damon's most creative moment. I'd imagine he came up with this song on his lunch break. He's one of the most talented British songwriters of all-time and has produced far better than this. 

• Thanks 1

On 20/05/2023 at 19:27, spudski said:

A classic pop tune that ticks nearly every box when making a ' hit'. Could be Coldplay or Snow Patrol on any other day. 

How many artists go off on their own trying to be 'artistic'...'alternative'...then come back to the basic ' hit formula'...

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I actually agree. My first thought when listening to this was "Blur by numbers".

Not Damon's most creative moment. I'd imagine he came up with this song on his lunch break. He's one of the most talented British songwriters of all-time and has produced far better than this. 

Yep true enough, we are talking about the man who wrote 'For Tomorrow' and 'This Is A Low', for example, and at least a dozen more world-class songs. Damon has set his bar so ludicrously sky-high that we have to cut him some slack when he comes up with material that is only "really good".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Yep true enough, we are talking about the man who wrote 'For Tomorrow' and 'This Is A Low', for example, and at least a dozen more world-class songs. Damon has set his bar so ludicrously sky-high that we have to cut him some slack when he comes up with material that is only "really good".

And in his spare time pencilled DARE, Clint Eastwood, Feel Good Inc, Dirty Harry etc 

• Like 2

Tom McGuire and the Brassholes, terrible name and look like a bunch of hippies, but funky. Sounds like Stevie Wonder at times.

On 08/07/2023 at 21:27, Slacker said:

Don't know if they have been mentioned before but The Lathums.Lovely bit of jangly guitar which reminds me very much of Johnny Marr.Give em a go if you like a bit of indie.

If you like that sort of thing, check out the Reytons 

Anyone know of any decent recent stuff that:

• isn’t in a relentless flat 4/4 time
  • occasionally strays into a minor key
  • has a chord sequence that involves more than two chords, preferably with the odd 7th chucked in
  • has a tune that could stand on its own

Serious question, as what I hear day to day frequently depresses the hell out of me…

I can’t stop listening to Ren.

The blokes a interesting character with a sad back story. To me he is a genius, music is all about interpretation but the way he sings, plays guitar, play keyboard, his lyrics and rapping is sensational. I urge you to watch / listen to some of his stuff.

His covers of the Verve’s Bittersweet Symphany and Fat Boy Slims right here right now are worth a look too as is this amazing track “Hi Ren”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I use Spotify to check out albums before I buy and one part of it I like, is Discover Weekly. 
Some Algorithm suggests new or different music you may like. Hit and miss as it can be, this week threw up a couple of good ones I've just sent off for. 
Joel Stoker, of the Rifles who I also rate, has a new album out. Really like this.

The other one was Don Letts album. Wasn't sure I'd like like, but had a listen and it's great, nice mix of styles.

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 1

Probably mentioned The Reytons before, but after seeing them at the Academy Thursday thought I'd give them another nod.
One of the best intros I've seen for ages, wish I'd kept the video going into the song as the place went up. I added the other video to give an idea of it.
First Declan Welsh , only caught a bit but you could tell the crowd were up for it. Then a short set from one of my favourite bands currently the Ks, got the crowd really buzzing for a support act. But have to say, The Reytons tore the place up.

This is the Steve Coogan intro to come on stage, I've added a clip from another Gig from top North to give an idea.

• Like 1

On 16/07/2023 at 01:20, Ziderarmy said:

I can’t stop listening to Ren.

The blokes a interesting character with a sad back story. To me he is a genius, music is all about interpretation but the way he sings, plays guitar, play keyboard, his lyrics and rapping is sensational. I urge you to watch / listen to some of his stuff.

His covers of the Verve’s Bittersweet Symphany and Fat Boy Slims right here right now are worth a look too as is this amazing track “Hi Ren”

Kinda nailed this… number one uk album whilst on an independent label is pretty much unheard of. 

3 hours ago, nebristolred said:

Definitely won't be to everyone's taste but loving this lot at the moment.

Have you heard of Deadletter ? Off to watch them tonight in Bristol but sold out (small venue). 

had a fair bit of 6 music play . I think if you like Yard Act (as do I), you would like these guys. Check out top 5 tunes on Spotify for a flavour , no full album yet 

in other newish music tips , have also been getting into a band called Sprints , who I believe have previously supported Yard Act on tour. Playing thekla next April and I think they will be epic inside the boat 

Edited by internetjef
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, internetjef said:

Have you heard of Deadletter ? Off to watch them tonight in Bristol but sold out (small venue). 

had a fair bit of 6 music play . I think if you like Yard Act (as do I), you would like these guys. Check out top 5 tunes on Spotify for a flavour , no full album yet 

in other newish music tips , have also been getting into a band called Sprints , who I believe have previously supported Yard Act on tour. Playing thekla next April and I think they will be epic inside the boat 

I hadn't but they sound ace, really decent they are. I'll give Sprints a go also.

• Like 1