IGNORED

Big decisions needed.

Roadrunner

With all the problems re the Corona virus is causing around the football world and in other areas of life. I can see big decisions needed re our loan players and our squad members

Between the first team squad and u23s we have 8 goal keepers why?

The list of players out on loan is amazing. I understand the club can make some good money out of the system. But now i feel  more players will leave than we get in. But who stays and who goes that is the question.My thoughts are;

Liam Walsh

Jonny Smith

Tyreeq Bakinson

Matt Taylor

Sam Szmodics

Max O'Leary

Joe Morrell

Zak Vyner

Taylor Moore

All given a chance in the first team squad.

Freddie Hinds

Hakeeb Adelrku

Bailey Wright

Antonia Semenyo

Rory Holden

Cameron Pring

George Nurse

All either sold or put back on loan

Their is also a list of other young players out on loan is some of the other lower leagues.

With a further group of younger players that need game time.

The first team squad players we have on loan who do we buy, who goes, and who in that squad need to go for other reasons.

All this when we do not know when we can start playing again and in what league we will be in. 

Yes big decisions needed indeed.

Good to see us back to talking about our squad and plans for the future.

the number of players around is very high., you mentioned 8 keepers, and realistically, we all know who number 1 on the list is.

Assuming we are in the championship next season, then oleary should be back as number 2, maenpaa released. We brought in a keeper coach (pat mountain?) so why is that irish guy in as well? 
elsewhere, lj needs to take a view on whether he sees moore and vyner as first team material, and whether pring is likely to make his squad at at any point.

semenyo is the forward prospect but was out of his depth last season. Can we afford to keep afobe, and keep him with fam, andi and wells? Surely all of those will want regular game time? If it was up to me weimann would make way, but fam has a higher value and his contract is running out.

as for midfield? Where to start??? Losing brownhill is a big blow. Henriksson looks incapable of stepping up. Can we expect massengo to take a step forward? Could we have used this break for nagy to have his operation?

the other issue is niclas,,, if hes to be sold, then reinvest the money in a midfielder, and better rwb, and play that 532 formation

Maenpaa is a very good gk. I'd prefer him as no1 which won't be to everyone's opinion I know. O'leary has great potential so we don't want him leaving to get 1st team football and not sure he'd want another loan? If he did then a top half league 1 team would surely go for him on loan 

@Roadrunner please cross Matt Taylor and Bailey Wright off your list as it's been well documented that they aren't coming back.

Football will be a very different beast (at least in the short term) when it starts back. I expect lower league clubs to want to operate on reduced squads and not pay very much for loan players.Some might even want to operate on monthly contracts if thay can afford to retain pro-status. I think we will cut our squad by as many players as we can, Walsh aside. I don't see us signing Benik Afobe or Perrira unless these deals become much more affordable.

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

With all the problems re the Corona virus is causing around the football world and in other areas of life. I can see big decisions needed re our loan players and our squad members

Between the first team squad and u23s we have 8 goal keepers why?

The list of players out on loan is amazing. I understand the club can make some good money out of the system. But now i feel  more players will leave than we get in. But who stays and who goes that is the question.My thoughts are;

Liam Walsh

Jonny Smith

Tyreeq Bakinson

Matt Taylor

Sam Szmodics

Max O'Leary

Joe Morrell

Zak Vyner

Taylor Moore

All given a chance in the first team squad.

Freddie Hinds

Hakeeb Adelrku

Bailey Wright

Antonia Semenyo

Rory Holden

Cameron Pring

George Nurse

All either sold or put back on loan

Their is also a list of other young players out on loan is some of the other lower leagues.

With a further group of younger players that need game time.

The first team squad players we have on loan who do we buy, who goes, and who in that squad need to go for other reasons.

All this when we do not know when we can start playing again and in what league we will be in. 

Yes big decisions needed indeed.

I don't quite understand your list.

Are you saying give Matt Taylor a first team chance but sell Cameron Pring.

Hasn't Matt Taylor already had a chance at the first team and deemed not the right player where as someone like Cameron Pring has not had a chance in the first team.

46 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Maenpaa is a very good gk. I'd prefer him as no1 which won't be to everyone's opinion I know. O'leary has great potential so we don't want him leaving to get 1st team football and not sure he'd want another loan? If he did then a top half league 1 team would surely go for him on loan 

I agree that Maenpaa is a very good keeper , when fit , he would be my number one choice . 

However he is getting towards the end of his career and I believe paid the price with injuries for suddenly being thrown into regular first team football after so many seasons as back up. 

He brings a calm and certain ‘ menace ‘ to the opponents and his own teammates if they screw up. 

I would love to have had him here five years ago. 

I believe MOL  would be a great back up as he looks like he’s going to have a decent career. 

One more season as number 1 for Nikki and then as back up , mentor for young Max .

I would actually sell Bentley because , although he is a top keeper , I think we would get a good fee for him  and he is no better than Nikki , who wouldn’t command the same sum and is probably on lower wages. 

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

the number of players around is very high., you mentioned 8 keepers, and realistically, we all know who number 1 on the list is.

see answer to @paul_fox below

Assuming we are in the championship next season, then oleary should be back as number 2, maenpaa released. We brought in a keeper coach (pat mountain?) so why is that irish guy in as well?

Gilmartin was brought in to provide experienced back-up to O’Leary / Wollacott, depending on who went out on loan (both eventually did!) and prior to Maenpaa extending his contract.  He is focused more on coaching, and will be on a relatively low salary (and was free transfer).

elsewhere, lj needs to take a view on whether he sees moore and vyner as first team material, and whether pring is likely to make his squad at at any point.

semenyo is the forward prospect but was out of his depth last season. Can we afford to keep afobe, and keep him with fam, andi and wells? Surely all of those will want regular game time? If it was up to me weimann would make way, but fam has a higher value and his contract is running out.

as for midfield? Where to start??? Losing brownhill is a big blow.

Josh was having a mixed season, and we got maximum value for him.

Henriksson looks incapable of stepping up.

He looked very capable against Derby!  As a free transfer pre 20/21 season, I would be considering, but considering only.

Can we expect massengo to take a step forward?
yes, imho.  He’s only gonna get better.

Could we have used this break for nagy to have his operation?
not sure there’s any free beds!!!

the other issue is niclas,,, if hes to be sold, then reinvest the money in a midfielder, and better rwb, and play that 532 formation

Transfer values are gonna fall off a cliff as are wage demands.  We don’t be getting anywhere near what he was worth 4 weeks ago.  The clubs that go into next season strong are the ones that don’t need to sell to buy.

58 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Yes, I’d be prepared to see if there are any nibbles for Bentley, and have Maenpaa, O’Leary as 1 and 2. 

• Admin

THIS IS NOT MY PERSONAL CHOICES JUST WHAT I THINK WILL HAPPEN

OUT ON LOAN AGAIN

Jonny Smith

Tyreeq Bakinson

Max O'Leary

Joe Morrell

Zak Vyner

Antonia Semenyo

Rory Holden

Cameron Pring

RELEASED

Liam Walsh

Matt Taylor

Sam Szmodics

Freddie Hinds

Hakeeb Adelukan

Bailey Wright

George Nurse

19 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I agree that Maenpaa is a very good keeper , when fit , he would be my number one choice . 

However he is getting towards the end of his career and I believe paid the price with injuries for suddenly being thrown into regular first team football after so many seasons as back up. 

He brings a calm and certain ‘ menace ‘ to the opponents and his own teammates if they screw up. 

I would love to have had him here five years ago. 

I believe MOL  would be a great back up as he looks like he’s going to have a decent career. 

One more season as number 1 for Nikki and then as back up , mentor for young Max .

I would actually sell Bentley because , although he is a top keeper , I think we would get a good fee for him  and he is no better than Nikki , who wouldn’t command the same sum and is probably on lower wages. 

Thats what I'd do. Nikki can certainly play another season as our no1. Max for cup games and any times nikki is injured etc. 

I believe we paid 2m for Bentley. Should think we'd be able to get 4m plus add ons 

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

OUT ON LOAN AGAIN

Jonny Smith

Tyreeq Bakinson

Max O'Leary

Joe Morrell

Zak Vyner

Antonia Semenyo

Rory Holden

Cameron Pring

RELEASED

Liam Walsh

Matt Taylor

Sam Szmodics

Freddie Hinds

Hakeeb Adelukan

Bailey Wright

George Nurse

Joe Morrell will surely be here next season (whenever that is)

Szmodics wont be released as he is on a long contract (I am guessing 4 yrs the same as everyone else that signed in the last 12 months)

Bailey Wright has already left (his cvontract expires in June and he is on loan to Sunderland til then)

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

OUT ON LOAN AGAIN

Jonny Smith

Tyreeq Bakinson

Max O'Leary

Joe Morrell

Zak Vyner

Antonia Semenyo

Rory Holden

Cameron Pring

RELEASED

Liam Walsh

Matt Taylor

Sam Szmodics

Freddie Hinds

Hakeeb Adelukan

Bailey Wright

George Nurse

When you released, do you mean that, or try to sell?

Wright and Taylor are out of contract....so leaving anyway.

Liam Walsh is almost certainly going to be a part of the first 11 next season. Morrell is someone who I think could play the Korey Smith role? Bit of a terrier with a good range of passing. Would still like to see some height in the middle. Henrikson would fit that but it depends if LJ rates or trusts him after the remarks he made. 

I'd like to keep Taylor but the chance for first team football at the club you support is something you can't turn down. Semenyo I can't see making it, a bit like Akinde while here. Will be a decent league 1-2 player probably. Would love to sign Afobe as he's the type of striker we've been missing for years.. 

Jonny Smith on loan in league one as a natural step up. 

Vynar to stay as back up or maybe even take the RB slot 

Sat here today, thinking we might finish the season by end of July, very short break, then into 20/21 season, I would go with the following streamlined squad, mainly for financial / contractual reasons

Goalkeepers: Maenpaa, O’Leary, Wollacott (generate funds from Bentley)

Right Backs: Hunt, Vyner (not take up option on Pereira who is too dear in the new world)

Left Backs: Dasilva, Rowe

Centre Backs: Kalas, Baker, Moore, Vyner as cover (Williams out of contract)

Centre Midfield: Massengo, Nagy, Walsh, Morrell, Palmer, K.Smith can cover RB too

Wide Midfield: Eliasson, Paterson, J.Smith, Szmodics (keep Eliasson, generate funds from O’Dowda)

Forwards: Weimann, Wells, Semenyo, buy Afobe (generate funds from Diedhiou)

Tough calls, but we have Losses of £500k per week to recoup.

Loans: Pring, Hinds, Holden, Janneh 

Make available: Bentley, Diedhiou, Adelakun, Bakinson, Watkins, O’Dowda, Cundy, 

At this point, one out, one in.

2 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

as for midfield? Where to start??? Losing brownhill is a big blow. Henriksson looks incapable of stepping up. Can we expect massengo to take a step forward? Could we have used this break for nagy to have his operation?

I wondered about Nagy having his op but I guess the situation probably prevents that as well, even if it was being done privately?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Sat here today, thinking we might finish the season by end of July, very short break, then into 20/21 season, I would go with the following streamlined squad, mainly for financial / contractual reasons

Right Backs: Hunt, Vyner (not take up option on Pereira who is too dear in the new world)

Centre Midfield: Massengo, Nagy, Walsh, Morrell, Palmer, K.Smith can cover RB too

Wide Midfield: Eliasson, Paterson, J.Smith, Szmodics (keep Eliasson, generate funds from O’Dowda)

Agree with most of that apart from Jonny Smith and Semenyo. Both not good enough for a play off chasing Championship side at the moment. Also doubts with Szmodics.  

3 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

@Roadrunner please cross Matt Taylor and Bailey Wright off your list as it's been well documented that they aren't coming back.

Football will be a very different beast (at least in the short term) when it starts back. I expect lower league clubs to want to operate on reduced squads and not pay very much for loan players.Some might even want to operate on monthly contracts if thay can afford to retain pro-status. I think we will cut our squad by as many players as we can, Walsh aside. I don't see us signing Benik Afobe or Perrira unless these deals become much more affordable.

Hi Sleepy, I included Taylor and Wright in my list because it this moment they are our players. The list is what i would do, not what i expect Lee, Mark and John  want to do. I think you are right re Matt and Bailey. I like Matt because he adds directness and some urgency to the forward line, something we have lack most of the season.Also your point about teams wanting smaller squads and we end up with a smaller squad. I would love to see Afobe and Perrira in the squad next season. I am sure their will be some good deals to be had as teams try urgently to get in some cash as soon as they can.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Don't think for one minute that Eliason will be here next season. His agent seemed busy during January drumming up interest and putting his name around. However we may have to take less for him than we would have got in January (can't see Celtic affording him now)

See where we and other Championship clubs are whenever football resumes. A lot of clubs allegedly in serious financial trouble. Can we afford our wage bill for too long with no income. Will anyone have money to buy our assets? Will 20/21 be uninterrupted as virus is going nowhere for a while.

I think there may be a much bigger impact than is generally being factored into the thoughts above. 

Clubs lower down could easily go bust. There will be humungous losses for championship clubs that could transform the transfer market. We may find it very difficult to get anywhere near the fees we paid for players like FD. 

We may even see clubs trying to impose some kind of cap on wages and fees. Frankly we could come out the other end of this with a transformation we can't currently envisage. So that background will have a huge impact on what happens to squads across the EFL. 

6 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Agree with most of that apart from Jonny Smith and Semenyo. Both not good enough for a play off chasing Championship side at the moment. Also doubts with Szmodics.  

Just thinking we might need a bit of cover.

3 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

I think there may be a much bigger impact than is generally being factored into the thoughts above. 

Clubs lower down could easily go bust. There will be humungous losses for championship clubs that could transform the transfer market. We may find it very difficult to get anywhere near the fees we paid for players like FD.

that’s exactly the reason why I created my list the way I did (not saying I got it right though ?).  We have a £20-25m deficit to fund!!

We may even see clubs trying to impose some kind of cap on wages and fees. Frankly we could come out the other end of this with a transformation we can't currently envisage. So that background will have a huge impact on what happens to squads across the EFL. 

Archived