IGNORED

Best Obscure Little Known Track

Markman

ok - pretty impossible given so many genres however I am getting through my musical library and looking for something a little more off the main tracks

try this 

or this next one (just the link this time) BoNingen - seen them a few times and the gig at the Thekla a few years back was simply stunning

https://youtu.be/5gFlnYaXvLE

I know both of thess may not be completely off the track so I could post some really obscure stuff :laugh:

If you want obscure listen to this - 

The guy was called Barrington Frost. A decidedly odd character who believed he was the reincarnation of Rameses. He worked with the likes of Kevin Godley and was a very decent musician. Sadly he topped himself in 1976 aged just 42.

We used to listen to this album when we were students.  

Is it coincidence Major, or did you have the Nice Enough to Eat sampler album brought out to promote artists on Island Records, as those 3 brilliant bits of nostalgia are on it?  I am pretty sure I still have it in what is left of my vinyl collection.  This was the first time I heard the brilliant Nick Drake.  Some of these artists, such as Tull, Free, King Crimson made it really big, Fairport are still touring (when restrictions are not in force), as is Steve Windwood (then with Traffic). Not sure what happened to Heavy Jelly,  maybe they are still singing that same old song!

Dr Strangely Strange puts me in mind of Scottish group The Incredible String Band, who had a degree of success with their albums, and also played at Woodstock.  I remember I had 2 of their albums, "The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter" and "The 5000 Spirits or The Layers of an Onion".  Good Times!

Nice Enough to Eat

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigation Jump to search
Nice Enough to Eat
Various-NiceEnoughToEat.jpg
Compilation album by
Various Artists
Released November 1969
Genre Rock
Length 55:22
Label Island IWPS 6
Producer Various
Series chronology
You Can All Join In
(1969)
Nice Enough to Eat
(1969)
Bumpers
(1970)

Nice Enough to Eat is a budget priced sampler album released by Island Records in 1969.

Continuing the policy set by its predecessor You Can All Join In, the album presented tracks from the latest albums by established artists including Free, Traffic, and Jethro Tull, and introduced tasters from newer signings to the label, notably Nick Drake and King Crimson. The inclusion of the Nick Drake track, "Time Has Told Me", has been credited with providing the first opportunity for many record buyers to hear Drake's music.[1]

It was priced as low as 14 shillings and 6 pence (£0.72), less than half of the standard album price at the time. The album is described at Allmusic.com as a "somewhat incoherent sampler of folk-rock, prog rock, and prog-tinged hard rock", but with a "stellar artist lineup".[2]

It was combined with You Can All Join In for a CD Re-release in August 1992 entitled "Nice Enough To Join In" (Island Records IMCD 150), but omitting tracks 1, 4 (Side One) and 4 (Side Two).

Track listing[edit]

Side one[edit]

1. "Cajun Woman" (Thompson) – Fairport Convention – (from Unhalfbricking (ILPS 9102)) - 2:41
  2. "At the Crossroads" (Sahm) – Mott the Hoople – (from Mott the Hoople (ILPS 9108)) - 5:28
  3. "Better By You, Better Than Me" (Wright) – Spooky Tooth – (from Spooky Two (ILPS 9098)) - 3:29
  4. "We Used To Know" (Anderson) - Jethro Tull – (from Stand Up (ILPS 9103)) - 3:58
  5. "Woman" (Fraser/Rodgers) – Free – (from Free (ILPS 9104)) - 3:45
  6. "I Keep Singing That Same Old Song" (Gibson)[3]Heavy Jelly – Island 7" (b/w "Blue") (WIP 6049) - 8:19

Side two[edit]

1. "Sing Me A Song That I Know" (Abrahams) – Blodwyn Pig – (from Ahead Rings Out (ILPS 9101))- 3:04
  2. "(Roamin' Thro' The Gloamin' With) Forty Thousand Headmen" (Winwood/Capaldi) – Traffic – (from Best of Traffic)[4] (ILPS 9112)) - 3:12
  3. "Time Has Told Me" (Drake) – Nick Drake – (from Five Leaves Left (ILPS 9105)) - 4:23
  4. "21st Century Schizoid Man" (Fripp/McDonald/Lake/Giles/Sinfield)– King Crimson – (from In the Court of the Crimson King[5] (ILPS 9111)) - 7:20
  5. "Gungamai" (Rothfield/Shankar/Bhava) – Quintessence – (from In Blissful Company (ILPS 9110Q)) - 4:17
  6. "Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal" (Pawle) – Dr. Strangely Strange – (from Kip of the Serenes (ILPS 9106)) - 4:26

Cover[edit]

The cover was designed by Mike Sida, who had already provided the cover for Spooky Two, and went on to produce several further classic Island album covers including Free's Fire and Water and Traffic's "John Barleycorn Must Die". The front cover's simple motif of names of featured bands spelt out in alphabet sweets (in a combination of blue/biscuit colours alone) is subverted on the rear cover, where most of the letters have been dispersed and replaced by what seem to be brightly coloured tablets. The presence of (at least parts of) medicine capsules might make a suspicious observer suspect a reference to drugs.
The rear cover also features the track listing and thumbnail images of eight of the featured albums (1.1-4, 2.1, 2.3-4 & 2.6).

1 hour ago, New Dazzler said:

Is it coincidence Major, or did you have the Nice Enough to Eat sampler album brought out to promote artists on Island Records, as those 3 brilliant bits of nostalgia are on it?  I am pretty sure I still have it in what is left of my vinyl collection.  This was the first time I heard the brilliant Nick Drake.  Some of these artists, such as Tull, Free, King Crimson made it really big, Fairport are still touring (when restrictions are not in force), as is Steve Windwood (then with Traffic). Not sure what happened to Heavy Jelly,  maybe they are still singing that same old song!

Dr Strangely Strange puts me in mind of Scottish group The Incredible String Band, who had a degree of success with their albums, and also played at Woodstock.  I remember I had 2 of their albums, "The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter" and "The 5000 Spirits or The Layers of an Onion".  Good Times!

Nice Enough to Eat

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigation Jump to search
Nice Enough to Eat
Various-NiceEnoughToEat.jpg
Compilation album by
Various Artists
Released November 1969
Genre Rock
Length 55:22
Label Island IWPS 6
Producer Various
Series chronology
You Can All Join In
(1969)
Nice Enough to Eat
(1969)
Bumpers
(1970)

Nice Enough to Eat is a budget priced sampler album released by Island Records in 1969.

Continuing the policy set by its predecessor You Can All Join In, the album presented tracks from the latest albums by established artists including Free, Traffic, and Jethro Tull, and introduced tasters from newer signings to the label, notably Nick Drake and King Crimson. The inclusion of the Nick Drake track, "Time Has Told Me", has been credited with providing the first opportunity for many record buyers to hear Drake's music.[1]

It was priced as low as 14 shillings and 6 pence (£0.72), less than half of the standard album price at the time. The album is described at Allmusic.com as a "somewhat incoherent sampler of folk-rock, prog rock, and prog-tinged hard rock", but with a "stellar artist lineup".[2]

It was combined with You Can All Join In for a CD Re-release in August 1992 entitled "Nice Enough To Join In" (Island Records IMCD 150), but omitting tracks 1, 4 (Side One) and 4 (Side Two).

Track listing[edit]

Side one[edit]

1. "Cajun Woman" (Thompson) – Fairport Convention – (from Unhalfbricking (ILPS 9102)) - 2:41
  2. "At the Crossroads" (Sahm) – Mott the Hoople – (from Mott the Hoople (ILPS 9108)) - 5:28
  3. "Better By You, Better Than Me" (Wright) – Spooky Tooth – (from Spooky Two (ILPS 9098)) - 3:29
  4. "We Used To Know" (Anderson) - Jethro Tull – (from Stand Up (ILPS 9103)) - 3:58
  5. "Woman" (Fraser/Rodgers) – Free – (from Free (ILPS 9104)) - 3:45
  6. "I Keep Singing That Same Old Song" (Gibson)[3]Heavy Jelly – Island 7" (b/w "Blue") (WIP 6049) - 8:19

Side two[edit]

1. "Sing Me A Song That I Know" (Abrahams) – Blodwyn Pig – (from Ahead Rings Out (ILPS 9101))- 3:04
  2. "(Roamin' Thro' The Gloamin' With) Forty Thousand Headmen" (Winwood/Capaldi) – Traffic – (from Best of Traffic)[4] (ILPS 9112)) - 3:12
  3. "Time Has Told Me" (Drake) – Nick Drake – (from Five Leaves Left (ILPS 9105)) - 4:23
  4. "21st Century Schizoid Man" (Fripp/McDonald/Lake/Giles/Sinfield)– King Crimson – (from In the Court of the Crimson King[5] (ILPS 9111)) - 7:20
  5. "Gungamai" (Rothfield/Shankar/Bhava) – Quintessence – (from In Blissful Company (ILPS 9110Q)) - 4:17
  6. "Strangely Strange But Oddly Normal" (Pawle) – Dr. Strangely Strange – (from Kip of the Serenes (ILPS 9106)) - 4:26

Cover[edit]

The cover was designed by Mike Sida, who had already provided the cover for Spooky Two, and went on to produce several further classic Island album covers including Free's Fire and Water and Traffic's "John Barleycorn Must Die". The front cover's simple motif of names of featured bands spelt out in alphabet sweets (in a combination of blue/biscuit colours alone) is subverted on the rear cover, where most of the letters have been dispersed and replaced by what seem to be brightly coloured tablets. The presence of (at least parts of) medicine capsules might make a suspicious observer suspect a reference to drugs.
The rear cover also features the track listing and thumbnail images of eight of the featured albums (1.1-4, 2.1, 2.3-4 & 2.6).

No coincidence my friend , I bought it from a second hand record shop in Clifton around 1976 . A rare buy for a young punk but there it is .

Well done Sherlock .

Wow - my thanks to all - best thing that has happened for me since the lock down as it gives me lots to hunt down - Major and I have the same album but it brought back memories (esp Tull) and I had forgotten Strangely Strange completely

Was never sure about Wayne County - really enjoyed Genelab and The Times.

Will have to follow up on The Residents and Rameses - loved the latter and still trying to fathom the former!

Tit Wrench United - thought I knew them - did we play them in a pre-season friendly about 14 years ago?

7 minutes ago, Med/MadHatter said:

Was this video used in title sequence of the Bob Mills tv show "In Bed With Me Dinner" ?

Not aware of that, so I'm not sure. I bought the Times album This Is London in 1983, in Bristol. Thought it was brilliant, and i've loved it ever since. Also, it got me into Television personalities, also great stuff.

13 hours ago, Markman said:

ok - pretty impossible given so many genres however I am getting through my musical library and looking for something a little more off the main tracks

try this 

or this next one (just the link this time) BoNingen - seen them a few times and the gig at the Thekla a few years back was simply stunning

I know both of thess may not be completely off the track so I could post some really obscure stuff :laugh:

That Cosmic Rough Riders album is very good. I used to listen to it loads im about 2006, or whenever it was that it came out

On 10/04/2020 at 09:52, Markman said:

try this 

I loved Have you heard the news today? by the Cosmics

Absolute goosebumps every time I listen to this incredible record by Stanley Winston. Hardly anything is known about poor Stanley, even though he was possessed of the most soulful and plaintive singing voice in the history of music (in my humble opinion).

No More Ghettos in America, released in 1970, was his only record and was one of John Peel's all time favourites. I used to tape the Peel show sometimes and was lucky enough to capture this rarity on cassette. Until relatively recently you couldn't even find it on the internet.

If this song doesn't move you, then I'm afraid you and I can probably never be friends (unless you happen to support the City, in which case I'll make an exception, but still think you're weird). Listen loud to the end, through headphones, and feel your hairs stand on end.

On 10/04/2020 at 09:52, Markman said:

try this 

Jeez, I've got that (somewhere), haven't listened to it in yonks !

Archived