IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

15 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

If we're going nowhere at least let's have a bit of excitement and entertainment that makes attending AG enjoyable occasionally.

Are you saying this club is incapable of maintaining Championship football without comatosing the fans?

And the basis of evidence available, yes,

Our best two spells in recent history came under father and son, both played shit football,

2 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

Don't know if this has been mentioned before but article in The Times suggests that Hughton is interested in Palace cos Hodgson may be done there. 

Would Woy come back for a swansong and do we want him? 

Why would palace sack Roy,

4 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

Don't know if this has been mentioned before but article in The Times suggests that Hughton is interested in Palace cos Hodgson may be done there. 

If that is true, then Woy will be retiring, he is 74 / 75 now ?

He is looking tired and frail as well.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

If you're happy for the club to finish mid table every season while playing dreadful unwatchable football that empties the AG stands LJ was doing just fine.

Ultimately, he took us so far and thats why he lost his job. But overall, he did a good job and took us up a level. No one can deny that

36 minutes ago, QuedgeRed said:

With the utmost respect, 12th is mid table obscurity, not top half.

12th is still top half.

And nowhere near a relegation battle, where we were when he took over.

10 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

Roy is on over £3m a year before bonuses. I think that could be a bit of a stumbling block! 

I keep seeing people saying how if we don’t get a proven manager we shouldn’t have sacked LJ. Why? That’s total nonsense.

His time was up. I don’t need to go over his failings again - it’s been done countless times but in short, from a playing side there were no positives. Based on the playing side alone there was absolutely no argument in favour of keeping him.

We needed a change. That was crystal clear. If that’s not a proven manager then yes of course we will be underwhelmed, but it’s also worth baring in mind that a ‘big name’ or ‘proven’ does not guarantee success or even promotion. I guess we are all looking at what will hopefully be a statement of intent by getting in a proven head coach. However if we don’t go down the proven route it doesn’t mean the club aren’t intent on making it to the prem or that we aren’t going to have an upgrade on LJ.

We need to get the feel good factor actually back at AG. This season I have dreaded going, knowing the type of football that would be on display but I am now looking forward to hopefully seeing the club/team going in a new direction. Regardless of who the new head coach is. Like many, I have Hughton as a preference but if we don’t get him, no matter who it is I am relieved it won’t be LJ anymore. 

There has been a lot of good work put in place to build from. Who’s to say an unproven or up and coming coach can’t use this as a springboard to deliver success?

4 minutes ago, Riaz said:

12th is still top half.

And nowhere near a relegation battle, where we were when he took over.

Your cup is definitely half full, I’ll give you that.

I’ll put it another way. Out of all the teams competing for a playoff place (around 10) we came last! 

5 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Ultimately, he took us so far and thats why he lost his job. But overall, he did a good job and took us up a level. No one can deny that

I respect your appreciation of LJ but it's a bit of a stretch to say that no one can deny he did a good job. I for one would deny that, and have been doing so for a long time - and you'll have seen from numerous threads in the past that I'm not alone!

But he's gone now.

6 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

I keep seeing people saying how if we don’t get a proven manager we shouldn’t have sacked LJ. Why? That’s total nonsense.

His time was up. I don’t need to go over his failings again - it’s been done countless times but in short, from a playing side there were no positives. Based on the playing side alone there was absolutely no argument in favour of keeping him.

We needed a change. That was crystal clear. If that’s not a proven manager then yes of course we will be underwhelmed, but it’s also worth baring in mind that a ‘big name’ or ‘proven’ does not guarantee success or even promotion. I guess we are all looking at what will hopefully be a statement of intent by getting in a proven head coach. However if we don’t go down the proven route it doesn’t mean the club aren’t intent on making it to the prem or that we aren’t going to have an upgrade on LJ.

We need to get the feel good factor actually back at AG. This season I have dreaded going, knowing the type of football that would be on display but I am now looking forward to hopefully seeing the club/team going in a new direction. Regardless of who the new head coach is. Like many, I have Hughton as a preference but if we don’t get him, no matter who it is I am relieved it won’t be LJ anymore. 

There has been a lot of good work put in place to build from. Who’s to say an unproven or up and coming coach can’t use this as a springboard to deliver success?

???

7 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

And the basis of evidence available, yes,

Our best two spells in recent history came under father and son, both played shit football,

I agree, although GJ's tenure more enjoyable imo. because the players were so obviously committed to the club and playing for the manager and the fans - until it became obvious a few had stopped at the Plymouth game of course.

So do we continue to be satisfied playing shit football in the hope that maintaining our status that way may throw up a golden season when everything comes together and we go up automatically (forget the play offs, we know full well we're never going to win them)

How many fans will be left if to arrive at at that golden season we have to endure 10 years of 'shit football'?

Surely the manager must have it in mind to provide excitement and some entertaining football while we're waiting or fans might as well stop attending until they can see that elusive golden season is taking shape?

As they say, the 'journey', has to be enjoyable too, or at least not stultifying.

Just now, Nogbad the Bad said:

I agree, although GJ's tenure more enjoyable imo. because the players were so obviously committed to the club and playing for the manager and the fans - until it became obvious a few had stopped at the Plymouth game of course.

So do we continue to be satisfied playing shit football in the hope that maintaining our status that way may throw up a golden season when everything comes together and we go up automatically (forget the play offs, we know full well we're never going to win them)

How many fans will be left if to arrive at at that golden season we have to endure 10 years of 'shit football'?

Surely the manager must have it in mind to provide excitement and some entertaining football while we're waiting or fans might as well stop attending until they can see that elusive golden season is taking shape?

As they say, the 'journey', has to be enjoyable too, or at least not stultifying.

I really enjoyed the GJ years, especially the 06-08 period. I think what felt special about the season we reached the playoffs was that we felt like underdogs. I feel the atmosphere is better at AG when we're considered underdogs and things can get a bit stale if we're expected to win.

I think I enjoyed that period more than the double winning season in hindsight, although obviously that was brilliant too. Under GJ, when things were good, we played exciting football and had a team that had the right blend of grit, skill and determination. A shame it turned stale eventually, but those were some great years. 

46 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Trouble is, last time we did the 'foreign' thing, it ended badly, with Benny made manager rather than just coach. Shame, because I thought it had legs, and Benny certainly had an eye for a player.

40 minutes ago, ChubStixx said:

That's well over 20 years ago though. We're a completely different club now, so I don't see why we can't cast our net further than these shores.

33 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Same as the ‘SL won’t employ a proven manager because of what happened with Steve Coppell’ excuse, absolutely baseless and rediculous

Agree with both @ChubStixx and @Tinmans Love Child, you can't base future appointments on failed ones. Just because Benny didn't work (used in the wrong capacity?) and the Coppell appointment didn't feel right from the start, doesn't mean that you should never appoint another foreign or named coach. 

If we went down that road we'd never employ anybody - last internal appointment didn't work out great, last "young, up and coming coach" didn't end very well.... Do you then extend it to not employing short people (LJ), bald people (SC), cap wearing people (BL), club legends (BT)?

29 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Another name to throw in the mix, Michael Carrick. No managerial experience but a very intelligent player. Always thought that he would make a good coach. Bring in one of the old Man U backroom staff to assist him.

Interesting name to throw in to be honest. Worked under/alongside SAF, LVG, Jose, Ole Gunnar, seems to be well thought of at United, and seems the type that will try his hand at management at some point.

Someone like that, would possibly look better than John Terry, as he's been coaching at a higher level for a longer time. Also less controversial and divisive among fan bases.

7 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

3 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

If that is true, then Woy will be retiring, he is 74 / 75 now ?

He is looking tired and frail as well.

I'd be happy with Roy as a short term appointment, if he was to bring in a younger coach who would "take over" once he left/retired to carry on the project/transition.

I can't see why Palace would sack him though, and also why would he drop down to the Championship? He'd have some clubs in the Prem after him if he was available.

Then as @The Gasbuster says, if/when he leaves Palace there is every chance that he will retire. Let's be honest, at his age he won't get another chance at a big club, so would he really want to relocate and settle at another club in his 70's?

I think Palace is his last job.

2 hours ago, CheddarReds said:

There's plenty of speculation and hype that we've built up about getting Hughton that if we went for someone else I could see a bit of a backlash from the fan base. 

Of course on paper he's an attractive option but maybe it's worth considering if we go for someone else less 'proven' it could still be a successful choice. 

Consider the managers of the top 6 this season:

Bielsa - came with a great reputation but this had come from coaching rather than winning silverware. Also never managed in England
Bilic - arguably the most 'proven' with relative success with West Ham in the prem
Frank - only had one job managing mens football in Denmark before joining Brentford as assistant then head coach
Parker - months of experience getting relegated from the Prem with Fulham
Harris - success getting millwall out of L1 but hadn't taken a team up from this league (and won't based on last night!)
Cooper - had only managed youth teams

Season before?

Farke - only had success in German lower divisions, had never managed in England
Wilder - only had success in the lower leagues
Smith - had built a good reputation with his style of football but hadn't won promotion until going up with Villa

My point is we're all calling for Hughton because he's 'been there and done it'. I can understand why completely, as I said on paper it looks like a good appointment, however there's more to it than whether a coach has done it before. There's little point on us getting Hughton in if he isn't aligned with how we want to operate as a club so if we don't get Hughton try and trust the board, get behind the new man and remember some of the examples above which worked out well despite little or no success in England or the Championship. 

Really good post.

Someone said elsewhere the 4 managers that made the playoffs in the end were Parker, Harris, Cooper & Frank.

If we had appointed any of those last summer I reckon 90% of the responses on here would be negative ones and in Harris’s case, probably nearer to 99%.

It may well be that Hughton isn’t coming, if so we will never know the true reason but it is also the case that although his CV is undoubtedly the most impressive of anyone linked (though I’d argue Mick McCarthy, who very few seemingly want & doesn’t appear to interest us, isn’t that far behind) that doesn’t guarantee he would either be successful or the right fit for us.

12 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You should go into sports motivational speaking! 

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I really enjoyed the GJ years, especially the 06-08 period. I think what felt special about the season we reached the playoffs was that we felt like underdogs. I feel the atmosphere is better at AG when we're considered underdogs and things can get a bit stale if we're expected to win.

I think I enjoyed that period more than the double winning season in hindsight, although obviously that was brilliant too. Under GJ, when things were good, we played exciting football and had a team that had the right blend of grit, skill and determination. A shame it turned stale eventually, but those were some great years. 

I completely agree. In the double season we just blew everyone away and I expected to be winning comfortably pretty much every game.

Gary's time wasn't great football, but Ashton Gate was so full of energy and excitement I definitely enjoyed it more. It was reflected on the pitch in the way we played and even if we were 0 - 1 down with 10 minutes left everyone always expected us to somehow snatch a late goal, or even a winner. Even though it was so long ago I have some great memories - Dele Adebola coming on in the pissing rain when we were 0 - 2 down against Wolves and running them ragged, Brooker coming on as a late sub and getting a last minute winner against Norwich. If we were behind we'd throw everything at them and it seemed to come off (often against the run of play). Gary pumping his fist in front of us. It was a great time.

I almost feel like I need to "train" myself to enjoy football at AG again after the last few years - even at the pub we've barely chatted about it for a season or two now, beyond a confused glance at the team sheet before the match.

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Me too.

Also the playoff final season we finished 4th, our highest placing since 1980.

No matter how great the season under Cotts was, it was at one level below this.

GJ is still our best manager since Dicks for me.

Just now, IAmNick said:

I completely agree. In the double season we just blew everyone away and I expected to be winning comfortably pretty much every game.

Gary's time wasn't great football, but Ashton Gate was so full of energy and excitement I definitely enjoyed it more. It was reflected on the pitch in the way we played and even if we were 0 - 1 down with 10 minutes left everyone always expected us to somehow snatch a late goal, or even a winner. Even though it was so long ago I have some great memories - Dele Adebola coming on in the pissing rain when we were 0 - 2 down against Wolves and running them ragged, Brooker coming on as a late sub and getting a last minute winner against Norwich. If we were behind we'd throw everything at them and it seemed to come off (often against the run of play). Gary pumping his fist in front of us. It was a great time.

I almost feel like I need to "train" myself to enjoy football at AG again after the last few years - even at the pub we've barely chatted about it for a season or two now, beyond a confused glance at the team sheet before the match.

Was great wasn't it. I still remember that particular Adebola performance very clearly. One of the best pure centre forward displays I've ever seen.

The atmosphere seemed really good back then too, the club had it right with the East End being right beside the away support. Having S82 as far away as possible has destroyed the atmosphere at AG despite S82's great efforts. We really miss that needle with the away support and back then we had it. That added to the overall matchday experience for me.

The playoff games were brilliant too and add to that loads of other really exciting games - Norwich as you mention, playing Sheffield United off the park early in the season, Stoke at home - those stick out. 

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Me too.

Completely agree - when it was good, it was a fantastic time to support City.

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Age, and experience - witnessing failure after failure - brings with it an acceptance of reality.

Except that's not how football works. By that logic I've never seen us get promoted to the top flight, so we'll never get promoted to the top flight. 

And Leicester will never win the Premier League

etc etc.

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Me too.

Agree with all that Graham...and but for a bit of a Brentford wobble we'd have gone up in second.

Happy days!

4 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Agree with all that Graham...and but for a bit of a Brentford wobble we'd have gone up in second.

Happy days!

Yes, but as opposed to some of the bullshit we have heard since, GJ could genuinely claim with his budget & a ground that was badly in need of some refurbishment by then, he was overachieving that season.

I’m beginning to think if Pep himself applied for the vacancy we would make him sit down at a desk with a question paper, answer book, green tag, candidate number. 

Appreciate there’s due diligence, but lummydaze, we’re going to start looking stupid soon particularly if we don’t announce someone of real substance who could justify such a delay. 

My fear is that it’s MA’s requirement to be ‘top dog’ that is putting many of the type of managers we need right off. If we end up with some lower league chap who is just happy to be elevated to Championship Manager status and is willing to accept being subservient to MA as a trade-off, we’re going to go around that bleeding hamster wheel again and get nowhere. 

Archived