IGNORED

Chris Hughton

Mattredrobin

3 minutes ago, BcfcDuncs said:

If this is true it shows how truly pathetic, despot-ridden and outdated we are. Shortlist of 8 and interviews???? The turgid hand of a truly arrogant owner and his cronies. ("I liked his tie but he was a bit shaky on the Kings and Queens of England, let's get the bloke from Newport County, nice young man who won't rock the boat")

A proper football Club would decide who they wanted and SELL THE IDEA OF COMING TO US to that person.

5 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

Would like to say... If you 2 ever find yourselves in Canada, and end up in Victoria. My house is your house. My missus would cook a nice dinner...  Subtly fade into the background and we could talk City.

Brilliant passion ... Just got to love it. 

Please bring decent cider. 

Too kind. My boss actually lives in Victoria, so it's not an impossibility. Visited before and you're fortunate to call that town and island home. Whether @Mr Popodopolous can attend I don't know.

2 hours ago, Notbarrymanc said:

? 90 - 52 is not 48! You weren’t educated at Magdalen as well were you?

Ah you spotted the deliberate mistake. You're right of course, it's 38. Still bloody loads, and no, I'm not an academic.

Just now, southvillekiddy said:

If this is true it shows how truly pathetic, despot-ridden and outdated we are. Shortlist of 8 and interviews???? The turgid hand of a truly arrogant owner and his cronies. ("I liked his tie but he was a bit shaky on the Kings and Queens of England, let's get the bloke from Newport County, nice young man who won't rock the boat")

A proper football Club would decide who they wanted and SELL THE IDEA OF COMING TO US to that person.

IF that story is to be believed (?), then Chris Hughton, the absolute stand out candidate, has every right to be insulted by it.

In the meantime another club comes along and offers him their job straight away.

12 minutes ago, BcfcDuncs said:

11 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

Nothing close and may not be CH according to Gregor 

Strange as I thought it was just crossing the Ts and dotting the i's left to do!

If the latest Post story is in any way true then we are an absolute shambles. I’m all for due diligence but this seems like needless red tape so that we are deliberately slow to miss the best options and are only then left with the cheap versions that no-one else wants.

Just now, The Gasbuster said:

IF that story is to be believed (?), then Chris Hughton, the absolute stand out candidate, has every right to be insulted by it.

In the meantime another club comes along and offers him their job straight away.

Agreed. If true, a total insult to him. We should be selling the club to him, the stand out candidate. I am concerned we are making a pigs ear out of this and are dragging this out longer than we should be.

Oh dear. I hope this isn't going to be the mother of all anti-climaxes.

Imagine if they reveal our new manager to be Dean Holden. "After considering over 100 candidates, we like the way Dean has taken over responsibility for the team and feel he deserves the chance to take this club forward".

Sorry Dean.

2 minutes ago, Cardy said:

If the latest Post story is in any way true then we are an absolute shambles. I’m all for due diligence but this seems like needless red tape so that we are deliberately slow to miss the best options and are only then left with the cheap versions that no-one else wants.

Exactly, a shortlist of EIGHT !!

FFS

1 minute ago, Cardy said:

If I were a cynical chap I would say that that was exactly what Lansdown wants. Dear Lord please can he find another plaything and leave our Club.

2 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Agree. It is a farce that a candidate as well suited to the job as Hughton has to wait this long and be party to such an antiquated process.And it would serve Lansdown right if he turned us down and went to a club who appreciate what he has achieved in getting teams to the Premiership.

If Hughton is available, keen and excited to take the role (as reported) and we look elsewhere for a cheaper option, then that is exactly what I would expect us to do.

The longer it goes on the less chance I think we have of landing Hughton. He’s able to pick and choose clubs that come calling because of how good and proven he is. Can’t imagine he’s too keen to sit and wait around whilst we interview Robbie effin Fowler.

I was excited yesterday. Concerned now

4 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

...and there it is.

How predictable.

I have absolutely nothing against the club doing their thorough diligence. And I suspect things are considerably more advanced than the Post knows, to be fair. 

Bristol City FC.

Simple message. Stop procrastinating will you and appoint Hughton.

You are beginning to make us look stupid (again).

If you want something in life. Go for it. 

Any wonder this Club never delivers.

28 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, yours is the Premier League and everything that’s in it 

To quote the late, great Les Dawson, "If you can keep your head when all around are losing theirs, you'll be taller than most".

All the panic comments are hilarious. If you really want to get the right man in these things take time. And how much does Gregor really know? Likely to be a very small pool of people who REALLY know where we are in the process and you can’t imagine any of them will be running to Gregor to tell him anything. 

In the past few years we’ve become very savvy at smoke and mirrors regarding transfers, with the truth often surfacing out of the blue very shortly before a deal is done.

Trust the process. There’s no rush, presumably the squad are ‘broken up’ for some time now anyway. 

Also, formal ‘interviews’ are the last stage, we will have probably had multiple informal discussions with all candidates. If we want CH that badly I expect we’ve given him or his representatives some assurance that he’s our prime candidate. 

Guest lou2BS7

The fact we have been chasing Gerard who is at a club with European football and are now potentially sniffing at the opportunity of Hughton at the helm - who is a proven winner just smells of a disillusioned perspective of our own club and ego’s in the hierarchy 

11 hours ago, Lez said:

Bristol 98-2000

Magdalen 00-02

Columbia university 03

Princeton 04

Fantasist. With the lies and insecurities anyone would think you are Henbury Gas. Do you realise how much you trip yourself up? 

You have no semblance of what a debate is, you display that through your meagre offerings on this forum. 

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I have absolutely nothing against the club doing their thorough diligence. And I suspect things are considerably more advanced than the Post knows, to be fair. 

The caveat used here of “up to” 7-10 days seems deliberate to induce meltdown (achieved) & also create traffic for a website to me.

Let’s face it, we don’t know what is going on, but it is not unreasonable to have moved on from Gerrard’s rejection in midweek in order to have someone in place by early next week.

Once we have a new man then all of this fury will either been seen to be fair or embarrassing.

Wtf is going on here??

How the hell are reports on this so conflicting?  Some papers were saying yesterday that the deal is done, now we have Gregor saying we’re interviewing 8 people including CH.

Surely those papers wouldn’t have published their stories unless they were pretty sure.

I wonder if Gregor has pissed the club off at some point and they’re feeding him some false info to make him look stupid, as both versions of the story can’t be right.  

Gregor does like to use the phrase ‘we understand’, so maybe he’s just been fed a couple of vague scraps and is trying to put them into a story.

This is sounding crazy and it’s hard to imagine why we would be interviewing eight other people if CH is really that close to signing ...... and why would a decision be 7-10 days away ffs!

Please City, don’t snatch defeat from the jaws of victory!!!

I've got no issue with us having 8 candidates if they are all of Chris Hughton's calibre, but if, after all these weeks we're still interviewing League 1 and League 2 managers, or rookies with limited experience, then I'd be seriously frustrated. Hughton might have other opportunities come his way this weekend...

No lose situation for the Post here, straight out of their/McGregor’s playbook.

Generate a ton of hits, can claim to be right if Hughton doesn’t materialise whilst safe in the knowledge no one will care if he’s announced today/tomorrow.

McGregor posted this in response to a question recently;

Our current information is that nothing is close to happening and it may not even be this week, but certainly by the weekend something could happen..

Nothing personal on the bloke, maybe he’s right, I’ve no idea, but If you say everything you’re bound to be right.

It's more of the same, Bristol Live has learned, Bristol Live understands, according to our sources and so on.

Bloke doesn't know bugger all about this if you ask me. Very few people will.

8 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

All the panic comments are hilarious. If you really want to get the right man in these things take time. And how much does Gregor really know? Likely to be a very small pool of people who REALLY know where we are in the process and you can’t imagine any of them will be running to Gregor to tell him anything. 

In the past few years we’ve become very savvy at smoke and mirrors regarding transfers, with the truth often surfacing out of the blue very shortly before a deal is done.

Trust the process. There’s no rush, presumably the squad are ‘broken up’ for some time now anyway. 

Also, formal ‘interviews’ are the last stage, we will have probably had multiple informal discussions with all candidates. If we want CH that badly I expect we’ve given him or his representatives some assurance that he’s our prime candidate. 

Can't agree with either view. BCFC under Lansdown are pathetic on the most important issues because he loves wielding power, this emerged clearly with the McInnes appointment. Please read my post above. A proper football Club would decide who they wanted as new manager and go out and sell that idea to that person. Shortlists, interviews??? Middle Ages stuff in the modern football era. To the despair of many of us we are in the hands of an arrogant despot.

Just now, southvillekiddy said:

Can't agree with either view. BCFC under Lansdown are pathetic on the most important issues because he loves wielding power, this emerged clearly with the McInnes appointment. Please read my post above. A proper football Club would decide who they wanted as new manager and go out and sell that idea to that person. Shortlists, interviews??? Middle Ages stuff in the modern football era. To the despair of many of us we are in the hands of an arrogant despot.

I know let's sell it to the Chinese like wigan did or some local businessman like Bury did or how about the Russians like Portsmouth did,

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

I've got no issue with us having 8 candidates if they are all of Chris Hughton's calibre, but if, after all these weeks we're still interviewing League 1 and League 2 managers, or rookies with limited experience, then I'd be seriously frustrated. Hughton might have other opportunities come his way this weekend...

Just as long as one of the 8 is not your boy Pulis!

2 minutes ago, S_C said:

No lose situation for the Post here, straight out of their/McGregor’s playbook.

Generate a ton of hits, can claim to be right if Hughton doesn’t materialise whilst safe in the knowledge no one will care if he’s announced today/tomorrow.

McGregor posted this in response to a question recently;

Our current information is that nothing is close to happening and it may not even be this week, but certainly by the weekend something could happen..

Nothing personal on the bloke, maybe he’s right, I’ve no idea, but If you say everything you’re bound to be right.

This. The Post are more concerned about generating hits and ad revenue than being an actual paper nowadays. Hence all the click bait articles from Hull.  I think GMG does a decent job but wouldn’t be surprised if this is about getting more clicks than actual fact

1 minute ago, Gazred said:

It's more of the same, Bristol Live has learned, Bristol Live understands, according to our sources and so on.

Bloke doesn't know bugger all about this if you ask me. Very few people will.

To know specifics such as 8 candidates, Gregor would need info from either Lansdowns/Ashton or an agent of a candidate. There's no other way he could make these claims.

2 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

I know we are all getting worked up a bit but arrogant despot Lansdown is NOT.

IF Gregor is right it perhaps indicates something may have been requested that is making us a bit twitchy, bigger transfer/wage budget perhaps, wanting the club to have a category 1 academy for example? Something that increases costs of the club at a time they need to be kept down.

Having said that KITR generally has a better success ratio than the post...

14 minutes ago, Davo370 said:

I hope one of them doesn't bring a PowerPoint presentation.

I've heard that there is one chap who has applied, that absolutely loves a PowerPoint presentation. Not quite sure of his previous experience, but I'm told that his name is John Leeson. 

Short fella, big bushy beard and a very large (almost fake looking) nose.

Reminds me of someone. Can't quite put my finger on it though.....

Who's to say that any delay isn't solely down to CH, I'd suggest it's more likely he's taking longer to consider working for Bristol City, as opposed to our board questioning the merits of a man who has already promoted two teams from this league.

No need to blame the club for this, for all we know they have probably offered him the job weeks ago and are waiting for him to agree.

The talk of still interviewing other people is just saving face - so we don't end up looking too embarrassed if CH rejects our offer.

Just from gut instinct I wouldn't be surprised if Watford have sounded out his representatives about taking over there - especially if they are relegated.

1 minute ago, reddogkev said:

Who's to say that any delay isn't solely down to CH, I'd suggest it's more likely he's taking longer to consider working for Bristol City, as opposed to our board questioning the merits of a man who has already promoted two teams from this league.

No need to blame the club for this, for all we know they have probably offered him the job weeks ago and are waiting for him to agree.

The talk of still interviewing other people is just saving face - so we don't end up looking too embarrassed if CH rejects our offer.

Just from gut instinct I wouldn't be surprised if Watford have sounded out his representatives about taking over there - especially if they are relegated.

You also have employment law to consider 

1 hour ago, Rossi the Robin said:

One or two maximum possibly 

I think those two are the perfect ones too.

Tinman who is probably the best serving player in the modern era, 500+ games, probably the one most turn to if we say who was our favourite/best player over the last 30 years and for him to mentor and help the youth players.

And then Scotty who is probably the player who has connected with the fans the most over the last 30 years, is a character, likeable to players, but also has that experience with 300+ appearances for us so can also be a friendly ear to players should they need it.

IF true... How is it taking them 3 (three) weeks to draw up a shortlist? When there’s a pool of max 100 candidates. And how is the shortlist 8? That’s a large amount for the real world, let alone in a position where CVs are much more transparent. 

We’ve already talked about deliberation vs procrastination. This does not bode well.  

I also mentioned board unity earlier. At a point where vision and clarity are essential, it sounds like we have bureaucracy and dithering. 

If there is any truth in this, then it’s an absolute shambles. It would have been good to see the new head coach in and over seeing the last couple of games.

Hopefully someone at the club has is having a good laugh at McGregors/the EPs expense and the reality is that this is all done and dusted. 

5 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

IF true... How is it taking them 3 (three) weeks to draw up a shortlist? When there’s a pool of max 100 candidates. And how is the shortlist 8? That’s a large amount for the real world, let alone in a position where CVs are much more transparent. 

We’ve already talked about deliberation vs procrastination. This does not bode well.  

I also mentioned board unity earlier. At a point where vision and clarity are essential, it sounds like we have bureaucracy and dithering. 

Thats how every professional business in the Western world works, 

17 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I wonder if SL is going to repeat his biggest clanger at City.

Pulis chosen over Moyes!

No multi interviews when LJ was appointed. So why when we have an absolutely stand out candidate?

If this is fact of course. It could just be creative journalism.

Wasn’t it Scott Davidson who appointed Pulis?

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

Strange some media outlets were reporting its was done now apparently its 7-10 days away and might not be CH. Maybe CH met with city yesterday and he and the club have different visions . 

Or maybe we pissed about trying to get SG and someone else has now come in and sounded Hughton out.

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Thats how every professional business in the Western world works, 

Well its how very few football clubs work. Three weeks rudderless, pre-pre season opportunity lost. NO plan whatsoever for replacing LJ, just fire him and ‘cross that bridge when we get to it’. 

i have recruited about 30 people to very senior positions in my time. In my experience middle management jobs take a long time to fill, very senior levels nowhere bear as long because you know what you want and the candidate pool is so much smaller. 

Hopefully this is either..

1) Gregor doing what his bosses want...clickbait

or

2) Spin from the club who want it to look like they’ve taken their time and interviewed everyone available before coming to a decision...rather than just saying “listen Chris, the job’s yours, we’ll announce it formally next week after the news of these redundancies has died down”.

What concerns me is that the club either don’t really know who they want OR Hughton has decided against it for whatever reason. I’m more inclined to think the latter as pretty reliable posters on here have seemed very confident that he’s getting the job.

20 minutes ago, JollyestOli said:

@Harry any idea?

I’m not hearing anything on this at the mo. Doing some digging. 

My thoughts are thus :

What we do know is that Hughton was spoken to over a week ago. He has a particular salary requirement. He’d also have particular requirements over the areas he would oversee. 
Those areas may step on some other toes. 

We know that Flynn was spoken to over a week ago. He’d ‘exactly’ fit the structure. 

We know that Gerrard was being pursued. He’d have been a combination of Hughton & Flynn - ie expensive, but fits the structure. 

I’m thinking that Gerrard was first choice without a shadow of doubt. Hughton they know will be the sensible 2nd choice, but there are stumbling blocks over areas of responsibility, ie insistence on playing youth, control over transfers, player wage budget... 

7 minutes ago, Desso said:

I think it should be CH interviewing our board.

Absolutely. Becoming farcical. We should know who we want and go and get him. Look at Huddersfield. They knew who they want and get him in straight away. 

If I was Hughton I'd stick two fingers up to Lansdown and Co. 

Someone said we have plenty of time? I'd imagine pre season will start in less than three weeks.

22 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

IF Gregor is right it perhaps indicates something may have been requested that is making us a bit twitchy, bigger transfer/wage budget perhaps, wanting the club to have a category 1 academy for example? Something that increases costs of the club at a time they need to be kept down.

Having said that KITR generally has a better success ratio than the post...

It would appear that KITRs source was infact LJ. Hasn’t had any information right  since his departure...

Archived