IGNORED

No plan, no action

Matthew me

1 hour ago, Matthew me said:

It's becoming increasingly clear that we dispensed with LJ and had no concrete plan in place. It goes to show that LJ's departure was not something planned for months, it was a quick and dirty decision formulated on our failure to reach the top six.

It's poor management to have no immediate back up plan. Id have expected the club to have pressed forward with CH or big Mick etc rapidly. Allow them time to meet the squad,see them play this year and then build their own team. Sadly, that won't happen. Our new manager will get about 8 weeks. We've missed the boat again.

Come on City, pick someone, get on with it. Give our new manager every chance of success .

After Wednesday, the players are gone. It's holiday time and we won't see them for a month. 

This all feels frustrating and stinks of bargain basement shopping . We'll end up losing CH to a club that act quickly. Guess it's just our "DNA"

He may have had a plan when sacking Johnson but his 1,2,3 choices may have declined the offer

14 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think it's incredibly unlikely to be Holden.

Dunno......:dunno:

Think about it - he’s young in managerial terms, knows the club and the current players, is fully aware of SLs strategy.......The question is tho - would he want it? 

From listening to SL on Talksport the other week, I thought we’d appoint someone relatively quickly, that they had someone in mind.

That may or not have been the case, we might’ve been turned down. Who knows.

The longer we have left it (not necessarily a bad thing), the more the world of football moves on, e.g. Clotet leaving Brum earlier, Cowley getting sacked, Pearson too.

Doors open and close for different reasons.

One things for sure, there is very little in the media other than speculation and 3rd party quotes.

Of course it would be nice to be kept informed, but that doesn’t really happen in football does it?

I’m remaining open minded about who we get.  Still prefer Hughton, like Cook....but that’s irrelevant really.

@Matthew me - not sure how long you may have been on this forum as a poster under another name, or a follower, but here's the situation.

There are several groups of posters when it comes to the decisions of Steve Lansdown.

For some - I'd include myself - the way the club is run is frustratingly opaque. We invest large amounts of time, money and effort getting to matches to cheer the team on and we have absolutely no insight into key decisions that impact on the quality of our experience. I'm an academic historian these days. However frustrating the world might be at times it is usually the case that eventually papers will be released and historians will be able to see what was actually going on. No such process exists in football. To give but one example, why did Coppell leave us? Plenty of speculation, no definite evidence...and unless either Coppell or Lansdown tells us some day we'll never know. 

On the other hand there are regular posters on here who don't mind knowing next to nothing and are happy with that :dunno:. They will defend anyone SL appoints against criticism until the day SL changes his mind - whether they are the Newport chap, the Cowleys or Pep Guardiola.

And then there are those who suggest that they might know something but aren't telling. :cool2:

As you review your aubergines, laughs and likes this morning I'd suggest you compile mental lists of who is in which camp and react accordingly!

Just now, Davefevs said:

From listening to SL on Talksport the other week, I thought we’d appoint someone relatively quickly, that they had someone in mind.

That may or not have been the case, we might’ve been turned down. Who knows.

The longer we have left it (not necessarily a bad thing), the more the world of football moves on, e.g. Clotet leaving Brum earlier, Cowley getting sacked, Pearson too.

Doors open and close for different reasons.

One things for sure, there is very little in the media other than speculation and 3rd party quotes.

Of course it would be nice to be kept informed, but that doesn’t really happen in football does it?

I’m remaining open minded about who we get.  Still prefer Hughton, like Cook....but that’s irrelevant really.

That's the thing about this vacancy that I've also noticed - there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of chatter about it and not many concrete rumours. 

I'm not really sure what to make of that because I have no doubt that plenty is happening in the background. Feels a bit unusual though, I don't remember it being so quiet for other appointments. 

51 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

I've no idea why you'd suggest that. 

Just because I want our replacement to be named asap. Let him meet the players before they head off for holiday.... 

If that makes me less of a fan, so be it

Why should he meet the players before they go on their holidays.

What difference will that make to anything.

10 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I don’t think there is going to be a holiday, like normal summers.  The players were told it was likely that they would go straight into pre-season and to use covid as their holiday (albeit Staycation).

I guess with no playoffs they might get a week....club we’re hoping to be involved in playoffs.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What makes someone wake up in the morning and think this is a good topic to start? None of us know whether that is the case - it's all hypothetical. I'm glad we're taking time rather than rushing into an appointment.

Managers like Hughton know they're in demand and hold a market value, they're obviously going to take their time over decisions too. 

Because it's now 15 days..! 

Yesterday it was fine, it had only been 14 days. 

We have 1 (meaningless) game to play in the next 8? weeks, so I think it's entirely understandable that, as of today, we have ballsed everything up and should appoint someone, anyone, before the day is out. 

Otherwise the gaffer isn't going to be able to come and say hello to the players before they go of on a rather odd pre season break. 

Hopefully now it all clear to you and you can appreciate the need to have appointed someone by now..!

5 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Because it's now 15 days..! 

Yesterday it was fine, it had only been 14 days. 

We have 1 (meaningless) game to play in the next 8? weeks, so I think it's entirely understandable that, as of today, we have ballsed everything up and should appoint someone, anyone, before the day is out. 

Otherwise the gaffer isn't going to be able to come and say hello to the players before they go of on a rather odd pre season break. 

Hopefully now it all clear to you and you can appreciate the need to have appointed someone by now..!

So what do you suggest, appoint anyone who is available just to make the quick appointment that you see as essential?

Its not the quick appointment that is essential, it’s the RIGHT appointment.  How can you possibly think that City don’t have a preferred candidate or candidates?  Don’t you think we will have been in talks with people already (I have it on good authority that we have talked to Hughton)?  But these things take time.  You can’t force someone to become our manager.  From the way some people post, you’d think it was a question of deciding who is to be the next Head Coach and ordering them to turn up for work the next day!

A lot of work is going on to secure the right appointment.  The notion that the club is just sitting around twiddling it’s thumbs is just laughable and naive.

46 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

@Matthew me - not sure how long you may have been on this forum as a poster under another name, or a follower, but here's the situation.

There are several groups of posters when it comes to the decisions of Steve Lansdown.

For some - I'd include myself - the way the club is run is frustratingly opaque. We invest large amounts of time, money and effort getting to matches to cheer the team on and we have absolutely no insight into key decisions that impact on the quality of our experience. I'm an academic historian these days. However frustrating the world might be at times it is usually the case that eventually papers will be released and historians will be able to see what was actually going on. No such process exists in football. To give but one example, why did Coppell leave us? Plenty of speculation, no definite evidence...and unless either Coppell or Lansdown tells us some day we'll never know. 

On the other hand there are regular posters on here who don't mind knowing next to nothing and are happy with that :dunno:. They will defend anyone SL appoints against criticism until the day SL changes his mind - whether they are the Newport chap, the Cowleys or Pep Guardiola.

And then there are those who suggest that they might know something but aren't telling. :cool2:

As you review your aubergines, laughs and likes this morning I'd suggest you compile mental lists of who is in which camp and react accordingly!

What a great message! Thanks for the hints. 

I've been reading OTIB for many years. Only joined a week or so ago. 

I like to question the logic of what we're doing as a club as I believe we chronically under perform as an entity. 

My love for club runs deep, I hope my views and questions don't offend. They're genuine thoughts or concerns regarding our shared love and passion

The recruitment scenario could be hardly started or already settled.

Maybe the club is taking time because it is possible that they have several outstanding candidates. Thus deliberations will take longer. 

It could also be that the club has appointed but not announced! Why?

The new manager, may have asked for this to allow players to play out the season in a fairly relaxed atmosphere. I don't mean not trying to win but not tightening up mentally in games because they know they are being specifically watched.

All will be revealed some time after the last game is played.

43 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Makes a huge difference!!! Surely he wants to meet and greet his team. Understand their thinking, attitude, style and dare I say it...DNA.

He can then make decisions based on his personal experience when the window opens 

25 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Because it’s all just that easy isn’t it.

Add 1 x Chris Hughton to basket 

Ridiculous post ?

Ridiculous is sacking a manager during a season with reduced transfer window, reduced holidays , lots of managers available and do nothing for weeks

17 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

So what do you suggest, appoint anyone who is available just to make the quick appointment that you see as essential?

Its not the quick appointment that is essential, it’s the RIGHT appointment.  How can you possibly think that City don’t have a preferred candidate or candidates?  Don’t you think we will have been in talks with people already (I have it on good authority that we have talked to Hughton)?  But these things take time.  You can’t force someone to become our manager.  From the way some people post, you’d think it was a question of deciding who is to be the next Head Coach and ordering them to turn up for work the next day!

A lot of work is going on to secure the right appointment.  The notion that the club is just sitting around twiddling it’s thumbs is just laughable and naive.

Whoosh..! 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Dunno......:dunno:

Think about it - he’s young in managerial terms, knows the club and the current players, is fully aware of SLs strategy.......The question is tho - would he want it? 

Of course he'd want it.

I think it's incredibly unlikely we'd go for him - fans wouldn't be behind it as there's clear appetite for change. People remember how the Millen appointment went. 

That's also the risk the board face if they go for Cowley/Lowe - it seems fans want us to make a bit of a statement with this appointment and not someone low profile/learning their trade. 

It may well be that for all we know (which is nothing), there have been discussions with CH/MM etc - and based upon those discussions one or more parties have decided that its not the way forward. Football being what it is, there will be plenty of options for individuals and clubs over the next few weeks.

That said, presently I'm leaning toward the theory that City are waiting to appoint a candidate who is currently in post. 

Whatever the outcome, we have no influence over the decision. Yes, we want the "right" decision to be made. Of course we do. But it's out of our hands. So lets just enjoy the build up to an announcement and hope that whoever we get, he turns out to be "the one". 

It's becoming increasingly clear that the club want to ensure that we get the best head coach which is going to take time whereas some fans are demanding we replace LJ the day after we sacked him. 

Hughton and McCarthy both say they are interested in the job absolutely great shows we are attracting the right kind of people. 

Oh Nigel Pearson has now become available since we started looking for a new manager he'd be a good candidate for a job. Dyche and Howe are both rumoured to be leaving at the end of the season from their respective jobs why not wait to see what happens?

Nope City fans demand the new manager now. 

If you are Chris Hughton or any other manager on the market, wouldnt you wait until the end of season PL sackings to occur? Like any other person in demand to have more than one offer allows you to get better terms. In Hughtons position it would be crazy for him to accept Citys offer - far better for him to wait for a bit to see what else comes in. For that reason i cant see an appointment until its all over.

2 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

What a great message! Thanks for the hints. 

I've been reading OTIB for many years. Only joined a week or so ago. 

I like to question the logic of what we're doing as a club as I believe we chronically under perform as an entity. 

My love for club runs deep, I hope my views and questions don't offend. They're genuine thoughts or concerns regarding our shared love and passion

You'll enjoy it on here.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's the thing about this vacancy that I've also noticed - there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of chatter about it and not many concrete rumours. 

I'm not really sure what to make of that because I have no doubt that plenty is happening in the background. Feels a bit unusual though, I don't remember it being so quiet for other appointments. 

I think a huge part of it is the way the club conducts its business generally. With things like transfers, we rarely get quotes or things leaking out. It happened with Nketiah and there was a period under Cotts with Gayle, Lingaard and Andre Gray but, generally speaking, the board run things as a tight ship where nothing leaks into the media.

Similarly with managers, I suspect the type of manager that leaks details of negotiations around jobs into the press is the type of manager we want to avoid. I don't imagine Christoph Daum was ever really a serious candidate but I suspect, in any case, the moment he began to tell the media about his interest, his chances went out the window.

What surprises me - and impresses me - a little is that no posters on here with inside knowledge seem to have any inkling of what is going on either. It's often harder to conceal things internally than it is externally but no informed rumours seem to be leaking out either.

I've seen a fair bit of press speculation linking one manager or another but it seems clear at the moment nobody knows anything. I suspect, by the end of this week or beginning of next, it will become clear who the new manager will be. But we may never know who else was approached, whether anyone else was seriously in the frame and whether the decision not to take it further was our decision, their decision or a mutual one. 

58 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Ridiculous is sacking a manager during a season with reduced transfer window, reduced holidays , lots of managers available and do nothing for weeks

I don't know that we have done nothing though. In pretty much every business outside of football, it would be rare within two weeks of a sacking to have even finalised a job description and got an advert out, let alone shortlisted, interviewed and appointed.

15 days is not a long time at all. Appointments do happen faster in football so I'd expect someone in place by Friday week at the latest and very possibly this week but an appointment before now would have felt rushed to me and I'd have wondered how much due diligence had been done on the candidate. 

Archived