IGNORED

Morrell at Luton ....

headhunter

I’d much rather have had Morrell playing in our midfield on Saturday than Brunt or O’Dowda. 
I honestly can’t fathom the Brunt signing. He’s played most of his career as a left winger, sometimes as a left back. 
We pick him up and pay him handsomely in the twilight of his career and decide we’ll play him as a holding midfielder. Playing in a midfield 3 alongside 2 other wingers. 
It’s preposterous, to be frank. 

Morrell should’ve still been here and starting last Saturday, whilst Brunt should’ve been playing somewhere else picking up his excessive wages. 

Brunt was continually out of position, couldn’t put in a tackle, wasted pretty much all of the set pieces he took. There were numerous instances where his football  education as a winger came to the fore - I’ve never seen a body shape in a DM where he’s ‘showing’ his opponent through him. As a winger, he’d have been educated to ‘show’ his opponent either inside or outside, and his body shape would be ready for the event. On Saturday he regularly went ‘side-on’, essentially allowing a passing lane straight through the middle. 
That’s all I need to see to tell me he can’t play DM. He doesn’t have the football education to do so. 

I actually felt sorry for the back 3, who took a lot of flack on Saturday, yet they had absolutely zero protection in front of them. Brunt was showing the opposition easy passing lanes, COD was regularly out of position allowing Norwich loads of time on the ball and forcing Hunt to cover where he shouldn’t need to be going. There was no pressure on the Norwich midfield and none of our CM’s shielded the back 3 - how many times were there 3 or 4 Norwich runners, into the back 3, with no midfield cover. 
The back 3 literally had nothing protecting them and were regularly 3 on 3. 

Morrell should’ve been here and playing DM. We may still have lost, but we’d have been £25k wages better off and would’ve had at least some semblance of protection for the CB’s. 

Please, please, please. No more Brunt & COD in midfield. It was horrendous. 

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Harry don’t disagree with most of your posts.  One question, what did you think of Brunt’s performance last week v Swansea (h)?

Don’t know mate, I didn’t see it. I’ve taken up football again on Saturdays (reviving my career at 46 years old - painful!!), so I’ve not streamed the Saturday games. 
And of course, there is no facility for me to watch any re-run of the full 90 on Robins TV. 

Therefore, I can’t comment on what I didn’t see. But certainly, the way he played there v Norwich was enough for me to suggest he’s not familiar in the role. And no surprise too, he’s played wide all his life. 

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

Don’t know mate, I didn’t see it. I’ve taken up football again on Saturdays (reviving my career at 46 years old - painful!!), so I’ve not streamed the Saturday games. 
And of course, there is no facility for me to watch any re-run of the full 90 on Robins TV. 

Therefore, I can’t comment on what I didn’t see. But certainly, the way he played there v Norwich was enough for me to suggest he’s not familiar in the role. And no surprise too, he’s played wide all his life. 

Yes he was v.poor on Saturday.  But he helped us control large portions of the Swansea game.  He was crap when he came on against Bournemouth too.

I’m prepared to wait and see what his next games are like.  Will they be Swansea or will they be Norwich?

As I said agree with many of the other points in your post.

As for starting to play again at 46....how soon did it take to realise the football brain is fine but the feet no longer move in sync.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yes he was v.poor on Saturday.  But he helped us control large portions of the Swansea game.  He was crap when he came on against Bournemouth too.

I’m prepared to wait and see what his next games are like.  Will they be Swansea or will they be Norwich?

As I said agree with many of the other points in your post.

As for starting to play again at 46....how soon did it take to realise the football brain is fine but the feet no longer move in sync.

Didn’t manage to stream the Bournemouth game either as was on hols with no WiFi. I just can’t see how 3 wingers playing CM will give any protection. It was a poor selection. 
Ha ha, as for my own return, I’ve had about 6 different muscular strains since coming back, but getting through it. You’re right though, brain works, legs are 10 seconds behind ?

1 hour ago, phantom said:

In the latest Welsh squad, must be doing something right

He's fine for Wales, does a good job for them.

That doesn't mean he should be in the Luton, or our team.

Also, thinking about it,

Callum O'Dowda and adam Nagy must have been doing something right when they weren't playing for us to get into their national teams...

16 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Yep, fair to say his start there has been pretty slow. 2 starts, 2 sub appearances & as you say, taken off at half time in the second of them tonight.

"We were sluggish in the first half and got overrun in midfield which doesn't normally happen" was the comment from Nathan Jones. Doesn't make Morrell a bad player but also doesn't mean he would have been the immediate answer to our problems that some on here think he would have been without seeing him play in Championship football.

35 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

"We were sluggish in the first half and got overrun in midfield which doesn't normally happen" was the comment from Nathan Jones. Doesn't make Morrell a bad player but also doesn't mean he would have been the immediate answer to our problems that some on here think he would have been without seeing him play in Championship football.

But that doesn’t fit with some people’s motives on here does it? It’s easier to blame those that take training & see the players daily than think they might know what they are doing!
How can an inexperienced Holden, a qualified coach who’s been in football for let’s say 25 years possibly know what he’s on about compared to an experienced supporter who’s profession is let’s say an accountant, that has seen the highlights of a player on loan at Coventry for 6 months via tv & YouTube?

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

But that doesn’t fit with some people’s motives on here does it? It’s easier to blame those that take training & see the players daily than think they might know what they are doing!
How can an inexperienced Holden, a qualified coach who’s been in football for let’s say 25 years possibly know what he’s on about compared to an experienced supporter who’s profession is let’s say an accountant, that has seen the highlights of a player on loan at Coventry for 6 months via tv & YouTube?

This is why I always take YouTube montages with a pinch of salt tbh. They can give you a flavour of what a player can do but they literally only show the best bits. Give it a few months and any one of us will hopefully be able to produce a montage that makes Semenyo look as good as Messi.........it's not the reality week in and week out but it looks like it on the 10 minute clip!!

I would guess the reality is that Holden thinks that Morrell is a good player BUT that once Walsh and Williams are fit his opportunities would have been limited because he believes them to be even better players so didn't stand in the players way and allowed the lad to build his career elsewhere............even though not standing in his way and allowing him to build his career elsewhere MIGHT (only might because he seems to have work to do at Luton to get up to speed) be to the short term detriment of the midfield department at present. Holden cannot come out and say that in interviews because that would be disrespectful to Luton Town's player so you need to look at the facts and work it out yourself.

Too many people are looking at things point by point and don't join the dots together.

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

This is why I always take YouTube montages with a pinch of salt tbh. They can give you a flavour of what a player can do but they literally only show the best bits. Give it a few months and any one of us will hopefully be able to produce a montage that makes Semenyo look as good as Messi.........it's not the reality week in and week out but it looks like it on the 10 minute clip!!

I would guess the reality is that Holden thinks that Morrell is a good player BUT that once Walsh and Williams are fit his opportunities would have been limited because he believes them to be even better players so didn't stand in the players way and allowed the lad to build his career elsewhere............even though not standing in his way and allowing him to build his career elsewhere MIGHT (only might because he seems to have work to do at Luton to get up to speed) be to the short term detriment of the midfield department at present. Holden cannot come out and say that in interviews because that would be disrespectful to Luton Town's player so you need to look at the facts and work it out yourself.

Too many people are looking at things point by point and don't join the dots together.

Exactly this, DH is looking to the long term future & he has to do that for the club & for the players. DH comes across as a very honest person & players past & present have alluded to that & I’m sure he could of told Morrell that he might get games in the next few weeks but Morrell himself has got to be looking after his own long term future & I believe it was in his best interests to move on.

I can imagine that those select few supporters now, had Morrell been given an opportunity & failed to impress, they would of been straight on DH & MA’s backs saying that we should of taken the money when we could! Unfortunately in some people’s eyes the club can do no right & it amazes me that people want to ‘support’ a club that can do nothing right!

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Their forum seems to save their ire for Tunnicliffe in the midfield, rather than Morrell. 
Seems the half time change was to get Mpanzo on to give a midfield attacking threat, rather than having 2 ‘defensive CM’s’. 
No one on their forum has said that Morrell was playing badly and was rightly subbed. Just seems like a tactical change and Morrell was the DM pulled, probably due to being the lesser experienced DM of the 2. 

Archived