IGNORED

Now go get that quicksilver striker in the January window

where's the joy

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Semenyo is pretty quick, all he needs a Championship goal from open play.

I think we should turn him into an inverted winger, working his way into the box. Pretty much how he is played now but be expected to create rather than score 

Whoever we sign in the future, I'd like to think they would fit our style of play.

I look at the likes of Leeds as an example, and you can see the players they have suit what is being asked of them.

When we play 532...do you think our wingbacks are suitable for such a formation?

We have other players recruited as reasonably priced rough diamonds...imo some of them were bought because of their potential talent and sell on, rather than for a specific game plan.

2 hours ago, tin said:

I was thinking you might be aware of other suitable players who can play across the front three. 

The virus has probably pushed Wallace’s price down, and I’m not sure he fits the club’s profile in terms of increasing his future value.

Look into Balogun if you get a chance. He can play across the front three, has been scoring in the Europa League and Brentford reportedly placed a £5m bid for him in the summer before going for Toney. I trust their scouting network more than our own. I reckon we might be able to get him loan until the end of the season. 

Balogun is a great shout, one we should defo be going after on a loan for rest of the season

13 hours ago, tin said:

We definitely need a wide forward, ideally someone who can play on the right of the three to allow Semenyo to play on the left. I was impressed by Osayi-Samuel again last night, Jed Wallace would suit, or a loan move for Arsenal’s Floarin Balogun would be ideal. I’m sure @Davefevsknows a few other names to throw into the hat for this role. 

Osayi-Samuel's deal expires in July 2021, and he can begin pre-contract talks next January. Unsurprisingly the lad is generating interest both here and North of the border; ‘Destined’: Manager thinks reported Crystal Palace and Celtic target is Premier League-bound – HITC 

We need a creative midfielder who can also defend, but that's a £10m job there...

Walsh & Williams fit this role, to an extent, but we don't know if they're good enough. I feel people are pinning their hopes on these two too much, neither are proven to be at a top level for this league, not that I'm saying they can't be in the future.

24 minutes ago, Banned User said:

We need a creative midfielder who can also defend, but that's a £10m job there...

Walsh & Williams fit this role, to an extent, but we don't know if they're good enough. I feel people are pinning their hopes on these two too much, neither are proven to be at a top level for this league, not that I'm saying they can't be in the future.

Williams is pretty proven at the level, albeit with Wigan. Agree about Walsh but with both I think lots of fans can see the potential in both. Nothing wrong with that really. 

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Whoever we sign in the future, I'd like to think they would fit our style of play.

I look at the likes of Leeds as an example, and you can see the players they have suit what is being asked of them.

When we play 532...do you think our wingbacks are suitable for such a formation?

We have other players recruited as reasonably priced rough diamonds...imo some of them were bought because of their potential talent and sell on, rather than for a specific game plan.

I get your first point, but what is our style of play? Sit back, soak up pressure and try to nick one on the break? Until we have close to a fully-fit squad, I don't think any of us can define our style. 

As for Leeds, five or six of the team playing in the PL were average Championship players until Bielsa came in. The way he's coached the best out of Ayling, Cooper, Klich etc is something only a handful of top coaches can do. 

I don't think we do have the wingbacks to play 3-5-2 or 5-3-2. Dasilva's a better LB than LWB, despite being ripped apart by Osayi-Samuel; Hunt's a better RWB than RB, IMO. 

Your final point is spot on, a lot of our recruitment has been a scattergun approach to Moneyball. 

2 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Osayi-Samuel's deal expires in July 2021, and he can begin pre-contract talks next January. Unsurprisingly the lad is generating interest both here and North of the border; ‘Destined’: Manager thinks reported Crystal Palace and Celtic target is Premier League-bound – HITC 

This is a murky area.  BOS is 23 at the end of the month, and players 23 and over can sign pre-contracts with non-English clubs in January.  However in the UK, u24s (which BOS is) are entitled to compensation, so the rules aren’t well aligned.  He certainly can’t sign a pre-contract with Palace, but I don’t know whether Celtic would need to pay compo?

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

This is a murky area.  BOS is 23 at the end of the month, and players 23 and over can sign pre-contracts with non-English clubs in January.  However in the UK, u24s (which BOS is) are entitled to compensation, so the rules aren’t well aligned.  He certainly can’t sign a pre-contract with Palace, but I don’t know whether Celtic would need to pay compo?

Pretty sure they would, think Celtic signed a young lad from Bolton who was out of contract a few years ago & had to do so.

As for us I would be amazed if we brought anyone in next month & if a few our long term injured returned I can’t see why we would.

Wells can be the consistent scorer we need & the 3 options we have to play up top apart from him cover all the bases.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Pretty sure they would, think Celtic signed a young lad from Bolton who was out of contract a few years ago & had to do so.

As for us I would be amazed if we brought anyone in next month & if a few our long term injured returned I can’t see why we would.

Wells can be the consistent scorer we need & the 3 options we have to play up top apart from him cover all the bases.

Thanks Graham, makes sense.

Luca Connell is the guy you’re referring to.

??????

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

If given the choice, id go for the bloke up front for reading on saturday.

Big, quick, skillful.

He caused us plenty of issues, never looked like giving the ball away.

Looked a diffrent class.

funnily enough, a mixed reaction at the suggestion / rumours of Lucas Joao in the summer of 2019.

55 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thanks Graham, makes sense.

Luca Connell is the guy you’re referring to.

??????

funnily enough, a mixed reaction at the suggestion / rumours of Lucas Joao in the summer of 2019.

Going to sound a right smartarse now but always rated Joao, gave us problems every time whilst at Sheff Wed.

I really like that Wilks at Hull, he looked decent in a poor Hull side last season & is doing well in League 1 this season.

Remember last year he had a horrid run where Hull didn't win any game he started in for ages like Bale had at Tottenham. 

He's only 21, exactly the sort of player we'd normally go for. 

I also think it's worth keeping our eye on Jephcott at Plymouth. Finishes well with both feet & is decent in the air. 

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

I really like that Wilks at Hull, he looked decent in a poor Hull side last season & is doing well in League 1 this season.

Remember last year he had a horrid run where Hull didn't win any game he started in for ages like Bale had at Tottenham. 

He's only 21, exactly the sort of player we'd normally go for. 

I also think it's worth keeping our eye on Jephcott at Plymouth. Finishes well with both feet & is decent in the air. 

Definitely one to keep an eye on.  Got good instincts in the area.

Archived