IGNORED

Our 11 out of contract players

Fordy62

Fam looks sadly like he isn't going to sign a new deal.  

Sicknote Baker can go and occupy another club's treatment room.  Mariappa not up to it anymore.  Watkins never had it in the first place.  The Weiman headless chicken act may not be sustainable for too many more years though there seems to be a big beam coming out of his backside for both LJ and DH.  Gilmartin talks a very good game but can't play one.  Thanks to all and good luck.   

The Paterson play for 20 minutes a match can change games so may be worth an offer, if a limited one  

Not sure about Hunt.  He's not a great defender but as a wing back he looks decent so maybe has a role to play 

Not sure about Adelakun - he's a league one player right now, will he develop into championship?      

Mr Relbiable and Versatile Rowe has earned a new contract without question for me.  

Walsh has massive potential though as yet unseen in a City shirt, but I'd take the gamble 

Will there be talent out there available at a bargain this summer?  There's a good chance there will be so some full backs, a wide midfielder and some pace up front would be ideal.  

We should start picking up the gems of L1 this window in preparation that most of the OOC players will be leaving the gate. 

The offer of pretty much guaranteed Champ football must be interesting to the cream of L1 & use this season to get up to speed if they can cut it.

Weirdly, the one that's an absolute must for me is probably Tommy Rowe, even if just for an extra year.

I think he's really underappreciated by fans, when in truth he's been a really reliable performer, never goes missing and is pretty much always available to play in three or four different positions.

Is he the most naturally gifted player in the squad? Obviously not. But I'd argue he's one of the very few that's never let us down.

6 minutes ago, Red Alert said:

We should start picking up the gems of L1 this window in preparation that most of the OOC players will be leaving the gate. 

The offer of pretty much guaranteed Champ football must be interesting to the cream of L1 & use this season to get up to speed if they can cut it.

I’d like to see some forward planning this season for next season.  Just imagine we could go to Lg1 now, offer a player who might become salary capped in the summer a head-turning wage for him, and then bully club into a low fee.  And then use the rest of this season to integrate them into the squad.  Rather than negotiate a 2yr £10k per week contract for an existing player, use that £1m “budget” on someone who is gonna get better.

I appreciate that’s a bit idealistic, but that’s one approach we should be taking where we are at a financial advantage over other clubs.

44 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Because Holden wants to build the midfield around him, he’s an exciting prospect and he has the same surname as my favourite ever overseas Gloucestershire cricket player. Want any more? I’ve got loads...

Walsh has turned into Phil Foden it seems....

14 minutes ago, Super said:

Walsh has turned into Phil Foden it seems....

..and you've turned into an agent provocateur Super!

No one's ever said he's the next Phil Foden, or our saviour, or the Messiah. Or that he will 'save our season' - whatever the hell that means.

He's an exciting player many of us have been impressed with and who we don't want to see the leaving the club before we have a chance to see a lot more of him.

That viewpoint seems to be very much shared by DH by the way.

Walsh - 2/3 year deal - not saying he's the messiah but he's a young asset who has good stock from his time at Coventry, so offering a deal seems to make footballing and financial sense to me (what do I know though, eh)

Weimann - activate extension- based/dependent on injury rehab

Rowe - 1 year deal - I can't imagine he's the type of player who would be offered anything particualrly lucrative/long term elsewhere, and if he's happy to continue to be a useful squad player for us, I'd be happy to retain him.

The rest can go - I'd like to keep Fam but that one seems a bit more complex

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Gregor has just posted the below and it begs the question, which of the below would you be offering deals to?

I’d be looking to offer deals to 

Hunt (2 years)

Weimann (activate year extension)

Walsh (3 year deal with option) 

I’m a bit Meh about Rowe, although wouldn’t rule it out.

Obviously I’d like to keep Diedhiou, but that one appears to be the least in our hands.

Adelakun is a difficult one, but I’d definitely be saying goodbye to Baker (good defender, but 20k p/w for not playing isn’t good value) and Paterson (good player one in ten)  

Your thoughts?

576E019A-3155-436B-B60A-B2A46E9E8F93.png

I would hope we could a better full back than Jack Hunt.

It’s funny how people see things.  Walsh hasn’t played with us for a long time but has excelled in the league below but some people question a 3 year deal purely on what’s he’s done in a city shirt.  There’s a whole body of work he’s produced since then which easily justifies a 3 year contract.  For some reason some fans ignore that 

If we were signing one of the best league one midfielders on a free transfer who was 23-24 nobody would cry at a three year deal! 

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’d like to see some forward planning this season for next season.  Just imagine we could go to Lg1 now, offer a player who might become salary capped in the summer a head-turning wage for him, and then bully club into a low fee.  And then use the rest of this season to integrate them into the squad.  Rather than negotiate a 2yr £10k per week contract for an existing player, use that £1m “budget” on someone who is gonna get better.

I appreciate that’s a bit idealistic, but that’s one approach we should be taking where we are at a financial advantage over other clubs.

I really hope so but I suspect we’ll do nothing and wait until end of the season to start another rebuild.

As MA unequivocally stated Steve & Maggie are more than happy to support & invest so if we have cash flow it becomes a solid strategy for a club like us to take this approach.

47 minutes ago, Red Alert said:

I think this is where we have gone wrong over last couple of seasons. We need to sign some young and hungry players who have the potential to step up to this League. 
Our successes in the transfer market have mainly come from these sort of players over the past 7-8 years, stemming all the way back to O'Driscoll's Summer in 2013.

I don't know why Gilmartin is part of this conversation. If he has any future at City it will be as a coach, a role he is already fulfilling. In this role he is apparently highly rated. He could be playing now as an overage player with the U23s but shows no inclination to do so. 

As for the rest Mariappa won't be here and Watkins I expect to be let go as he can find a home in Scottish football. Fammy has been made an offer and the ball is in his court. Any half way decent offer for Walsh I'd take. His future fitness may be questionable and what you've never really had you don't miss. 

I'd keep the rest although Baker is the conundrum. His fitness is a major concern but with finances not being assured (there's no guarantee we'll be in the stadium next season) and the departure of Mawson back to Fulham we may well need him. 

I'd offer them all zero hours, pay and you play contracts, but I'd also give them each a bicycle as a signing on fee so they can top up their income by being Deliveroo riders in their spare time.

(Seriously, who on earth would think any player would consider anything as stupid as 'pay and you play?)

2 hours ago, Selred said:

Walsh - absolutely, is only going to get better.

Fam - match his terms now, nothing over the top but not going to get better on a free

Hunt - again can't see us upgrading without spending serious money, which we don't have

Weimann - 1 year deal, plays multiple position and a good pro

Pato - 1 year deal too, see Weimann

This season shows how a large squad is required, we'd have to bring in replacements for the above and I can't see us getting anyone in better.

Zero chance that Patsrson and Weimann would accept a 1 year deal when other champ clubs could offer 2 or 3.

2 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

Zero chance that Patsrson and Weimann would accept a 1 year deal when other champ clubs could offer 2 or 3.

Realistically who will offer that contract? Every club will be in the same boat and Weimann has been out for a season, also the upheaval of moving your life. 

I expect most players will sign additional years and then see the back end of next season when fans are back and they can demand higher wages again.

Just now, Selred said:

Realistically who will offer that contract? Every club will be in the same boat and Weimann has been out for a season, also the upheaval of moving your life. 

I expect most players will sign additional years and then see the back end of next season when fans are back and they can demand higher wages again.

The question is who wouldn't?

3 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

The question is who wouldn't?

Well Pato and Weimann will be on high wages, so most lower championship teams won't be able to afford it, and Weimann and Pato won't be good enough for most teams above us. 

Mariappa - Wait and review his contribution at the end of the season. Yes if willing to accept relatively modest wages.

Baker - No No No. £8 million for 84 appearances is all you need to know.

Walsh - No.  Not if it means offering better terms than he is currently on.  Could offer him less and leave it there in case he can't get an offer elsewhere.

Hunt - No.  Much better, younger players available.

Adelukan - Yes if he proves he is up to the standard by the end of the season.

Paterson - Hmm.  Difficult as he clearly contributes sometimes but at other times is useless.  Torn by this.

Rowe - Yes as I believe he is on fairly modest terms.  He contributes and is always fit and available.

Weimann - 1 year option..  Difficult to say yes as he is on very good wages and has a long term injury.  Too old for a long term deal given this and the financial landscape.  Probably favour no due to Semenyo's emergence.

Gilmartin - No.  

Watkins - Another waste of money

Dioedhou - Has already been offered something so N/A

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

It’s funny how people see things.  Walsh hasn’t played with us for a long time but has excelled in the league below but some people question a 3 year deal purely on what’s he’s done in a city shirt.  There’s a whole body of work he’s produced since then which easily justifies a 3 year contract.  For some reason some fans ignore that 

If we were signing one of the best league one midfielders on a free transfer who was 23-24 nobody would cry at a three year deal! 

Maybe you can counter this @Super instead of just putting a confused emoji. Interested to hear it as you are one of the main ones against offering Walsh a 3 year deal 

I assume we are all making the assumption we are in the Championship next season and that budgets are similar to those of the previous few season? If not, all the answers so far, above, probably need changing.

On that basis i have to agree with Super (knew it would happen one day!) Why would we give Walsh a 3 yr contract. Ever since he returned from league 1 people on here have been talking about Walsh and Williams yet I have hardly ever watched them - and I doubt others have either. Having watch most of games played by the others; Pato is worth an extension so are Weimann (how we miss him), Hunt, Rowe and possibly Adelakun if his wages are low.THe rest can go apart from Famara who clearly has been the best forward/scorer in the past few seasons. Until there is a good replacement we should do everything possible to keep him. I would love Semenyo and Wells to prove me wrong but they are not going to score even 10 in a season which makes Fam even more essential

6 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

I would love Semenyo and Wells to prove me wrong but they are not going to score even 10 in a season which makes Fam even more essential

Err, you know that both Fam and Wells are tied at 6 goals a piece currently and the only real difference in their stats is that Wells has 4 assists to Fams zero.

32 minutes ago, Malago said:

With a financial tsunami about to hit football it’s  quite possible we will be able to let all 11 players go and pick up 11 better players all on lower wages.

I think there’s a fair bit of truth in that.  Yesterday I worked out letting all of them go would save around £5m in wages and also our annual amortisation would drop by another circa £5m.  With the progression of some of the younger players, Vyner, Semenyo, Bakinson, the squad that would be left would have gaps, but if the focus is on those gaps and only bringing in upgrades then there is potential to use that money frugally.

Notwithstanding we’d probably get a few quid in compo for Walsh if he doesn’t sign.

I’d be looking to tie down Tyreeq to a longer deal (exp 2022+1) and Vyner (2023 no option), whilst Antoine is ok (2023+1).

Of course it would be really helpful to know who we might be lining up!!!

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Err, you know that both Fam and Wells are tied at 6 goals a piece currently and the only real difference in their stats is that Wells has 4 assists to Fams zero.

And has been stuck out in the wing in far too many games also.

45 minutes ago, Malago said:

With a financial tsunami about to hit football it’s  quite possible we will be able to let all 11 players go and pick up 11 better players all on lower wages.

Market forces will determine the better players go to the better clubs who can offer the better wages. 

Average players are the ones who will suffer & I'd imagine these are not the players you had in mind.

I think Pato would walk into many championship squads on at least the same money

11 minutes ago, Red Alert said:

Market forces will determine the better players go to the better clubs who can offer the better wages. 

Average players are the ones who will suffer & I'd imagine these are not the players you had in mind.

I think Pato would walk into many championship squads on at least the same money

All the clubs in the championship, including those with parachute payments will be looking to drastically cut their player budget this season.  In addition there’s the talked about £18m wages cap.  If Pato can find a club that’s willing to pay him more than we can, good luck to him.  My view is none of the 11 are irreplaceable and in a bear market it’s best to keep our money in our pockets until we see where the wage level for an average championship player like Pato settles out.

Archived