IGNORED

Nonsense for Eriksen

Unan

8 minutes ago, Banned User said:

Belgium intend to kick the ball out of play in the 10th minute of their game with Denmark to take part in a minute's applause for Christian Eriksen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51197575

Do something before and/or after the game, but not during it ffs

Even if the ball is on the penalty spot...?

Just now, LondonBristolian said:

I was thinking that.

That aside, I'm going to step away from the consensus and say that was a really nice moment. 

Agreed

I am going to really badly explain why I think it is a great gesture for them to do it during the game.

Before or after, could be organised by UEFA, TV director, sponsor etc. Even if it was said that the players organised it, who knows whether it is true.

During open play is the one time the players are 100% in control of the game, so the one time the gesture actually means anything coming from his peers, friends & team mates. Possible that it has been organised by someone else but in complete control of the players.

Hope that makes sense!

1 hour ago, Banned User said:

Belgium intend to kick the ball out of play in the 10th minute of their game with Denmark to take part in a minute's applause for Christian Eriksen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51197575

Do something before and/or after the game, but not during it ffs

Agreed. It probably comes from a good place, but feels a bit like virtue signalling now. 

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I don't know why anyone cares, it's a minute out of game of football in which the players decided to say "get well soon" to a friend and colleague. What harm does that do?

I think the suggestion is because there are less showy ways to show their good will. By doing this it draws lots of spotlight and some might argue in turn makes it all about them, even if that's not the intention.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think the suggestion is because there are less showy ways to show their good will. By doing this it draws lots of spotlight and some might argue in turn makes it all about them, even if that's not the intention.

Well it started the crowd singing the name of a player not even on the pitch, but will I am sure be watching, so it did something positive.

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Jesus. Of all the things to complain about. Bloke nearly died and his mates want to do something to show solidarity. What’s the problem?

Just now, TonyTonyTony said:

Jesus. Of all the things to complain about. Bloke nearly died and his mates want to do something to show solidarity. What’s the problem?

Not a problem really Tony just discussing the thought process. I hadn’t given it anymore thought since reading the thread.

In my opinion it’s very hard to get the balance right between making a good gesture and it being a bit showy - thus running the risk of it becoming virtue signalling.

I don’t doubt it comes from a good place, but personally I agree with @Banned Userthat there are probably more understated ways to go about it. 

Just now, TonyTonyTony said:

Well i suppose they could send him a get well card from funkypigeon.com but that doesn’t have the same gravitas. Maybe they didn’t want their gesture understated? 

I don’t know why you’ve picked up on my input in this thread in particular, bit strange. 

I don’t think a card from funkypigeon.com would be appropriate. I think perhaps doing something before the game or after would be equally as effective and perhaps more moving. 

If you were to ask me - I think forming a circle on the centre circle with both teams combined and a minutes applause before kickoff would’ve been nice.

I genuinely don’t think this is a huge deal so don’t really want to get bogged down in a debate with you or all people about it. My only input is that this particular gesture is perhaps a bit showy and there are better ways to get the message of solidarity across. 

42 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

My only input is that this particular gesture is perhaps a bit showy and there are better ways to get the message of solidarity across. 

If you first thought about how friends, team mates and supporters want to honour/be respectful to Eriksen who nearly died in front of millions of people is "I don't think they should do it that way, I think they should do it this way" then you need to have a look at yourself. Sounds awfully similar to someone who would boo kneeling to raise a message against racism...

Archived