IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

About a quarter, say?

If that. The fact is that, all across Bristol, they’re not attracting new fans. All they have are “legacy” family fans as opposed to kids getting into football with no connection. And as not all sons will follow fathers, and as they started from a low base, they ain’t growing any bigger any time soon. Ultimately what parent with no connection to the club wants their kids to go to that bomb site above AG, particularly with the unsavoury character in charge there.

They’re destroying their future with the stadium inertia of Wally and the general twatness of Barton. And it’s beautiful.

• Like 3
  • Flames 3

2 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Don't tell me theres loads of stories where the are hundreds of gasheads in every city and holiday resort on the planet. 

you just know artemis first astronauts back on the moon will be greeted by a couple of them who got lost travelling to forest green a while back

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

As a Yate resident, I can safely say that they are a minority here as well.

Been living near Yate for a couple of years, have only ever seen 3 with their colours on. All old boys. 1 in a rent boys bobble hat and 2 in shirts that have all sorts of food down the front......

@Silvio Dante sums it up about following the family connection. When I refer to them as old boys, I am turning 60 this year and they are older than me (or had a much bigger paper round). No youths anywhere. There are regularly dozens of city who go down the gate from the surrounding area.

3 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Don't tell me theres loads of stories where the are hundreds of gasheads in every city and holiday resort on the planet. 

I just went to read about it and malware bytes blocked it for trojans, continued and i got blocked 'cause "the owner of the site" didn't like my i.p. address !! 

Thought they had fans from all over the world ? ?

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

If that. The fact is that, all across Bristol, they’re not attracting new fans. All they have are “legacy” family fans as opposed to kids getting into football with no connection. And as not all sons will follow fathers, and as they started from a low base, they ain’t growing any bigger any time soon. Ultimately what parent with no connection to the club wants their kids to go to that bomb site above AG, particularly with the unsavoury character in charge there.

They’re destroying their future with the stadium inertia of Wally and the general twatness of Barton. And it’s beautiful.

I’d love to go forward ten years and see how this situation has developed. 

As I've said before, I live fairly close to the Memorial Ground and whilst there are indeed group of them on a match-day (as you would expect) none of the local pubs seems to be 'Gas pubs' - in so far as they are quite happy to take their cash on a match-day, but during the week..... You'd not know they were there. 

In fact, other than on a match day, I don't think I've seen a single Rovers shirt being sported as everyday clothing. Granted, I've not seen any City shirts either around here, but given how close to the ground I am, you'd think that after 20 years (is it?) they've been there, they would have conscripted a fair number of locals. 

But no. Nothing. 

• Like 1

My view too.

I was in a different part of the ground than usual on Saturday (corner of South Stand & Lansdown), as opposed to the Dolman & was struck by just how many kids & families there were.

Saw a bloke that I work with, a Coventry fan really but he’s been down here for years, lives Horfield way but guess who his kids are watching? It’s not the few, is it?

I saw some sag recently claim that more “youth” are coming back to watch them but I treat that with the same large pinch of salt that I would with anything Sam Frost wrote.

They’re dying, slowly but I’m completely convinced of it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

My view too.

I was in a different part of the ground than usual on Saturday (corner of South Stand & Lansdown), as opposed to the Dolman & was struck by just how many kids & families there were.

Saw a bloke that I work with, a Coventry fan really but he’s been down here for years, lives Horfield way but guess who his kids are watching? It’s not the few, is it?

I saw some sag recently claim that more “youth” are coming back to watch them but I treat that with the same large pinch of salt that I would with anything Sam Frost wrote.

I think one of the nails in the fewers coffin could be the sports-village that SL wants to build next to AG - if the basketball continues to grow and the enviroment is right, then a lot of families will be attracted to a high-scoring, regular breaks -( 4 x 12 min quarters) event - meaning small people will probably be able to keep a focus on the action without getting too bored, and once they are 'in BS3' I'm sure it won't be too big a jump for them to start to take an interest in rugby or football.

The Fewers losing the Bears was probably one of their biggest disasters, but if you are going to be a difficult landlord then you can expect anything else. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not small enough to die out or even become a fulltime non league entity. I would say though they follow a consistent cycle of a yo yo between league 2 and 1 and normally finish well in their return to league 1. 

Their facilities and stadium (whilst slowly improving im told) is holding them back massively. They are nowhere near championship ready and their recent plight is hilarious. I think best we can hope for is being a league 2 mainstay with occasional delusions of becoming a top league on side.

15 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I think one of the nails in the fewers coffin could be the sports-village that SL wants to build next to AG - if the basketball continues to grow and the enviroment is right, then a lot of families will be attracted to a high-scoring, regular breaks -( 4 x 12 min quarters) event - meaning small people will probably be able to keep a focus on the action without getting too bored, and once they are 'in BS3' I'm sure it won't be too big a jump for them to start to take an interest in rugby or football.

The Fewers losing the Bears was probably one of their biggest disasters, but if you are going to be a difficult landlord then you can expect anything else. 

And I think the final nail - if we ever managed it - would be getting to the Premier League.  

For that alone, it would be worth it.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

And I think the final nail - if we ever managed it - would be getting to the Premier League.  

Knowing that lot they’d find some way of either hyping up some meagre achievement of theirs to our promotion or jumping on the ‘it’s great for football in our city’ angle. 

Example A) their bragging that they won promotion at Wembley and were the first team from Bristol to do so, conveniently forgetting we’d just steamrollered L1 that same season…

Example B) the infamous promotion bus tour that followed….

25 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

They'll then claim that they're the more 'traditional' club who have deliberately shunned the trappings of success in order to give proper football supporters the traditional, organic football experience. 

And if that didn't work, they'd still claim that they were the best ever second team in the world and that the 18zillion Wolves fans they met who were at the Gate for the league game all told a computer repair man that whilst they dislike other midlands teams, they reserve all their real hate for us, because da Fewers are their second club. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

As I've said before, I live fairly close to the Memorial Ground and whilst there are indeed group of them on a match-day (as you would expect) none of the local pubs seems to be 'Gas pubs' - in so far as they are quite happy to take their cash on a match-day, but during the week..... You'd not know they were there. 

In fact, other than on a match day, I don't think I've seen a single Rovers shirt being sported as everyday clothing. Granted, I've not seen any City shirts either around here, but given how close to the ground I am, you'd think that after 20 years (is it?) they've been there, they would have conscripted a fair number of locals. 

But no. Nothing. 

So many young kids at the Gate

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

But no. Nothing. 

Back in the 70's in Horfield magger1 and his boys all City,   Lloyd R etc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Too true. Imagine living in Nottingham and just getting interested in football. Who are you going to watch; Forest or County?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 22A said:

Too true. Imagine living in Nottingham and just getting interested in football. Who are you going to watch; Forest or County?

County have recently started doing a few very cheap games in order to entice new fans (pay what you want, 5 quid for adults etc). Its about the only way they can keep crowds up. 

That being said, they are still a well supported, big club and so have enough of a pull, even when they're in the conference. 

Rovers on the other hand would be finished if we went up, unlike County they have nothing going for them and with their ground and league position, that isn't going to change

17 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

County have recently started doing a few very cheap games in order to entice new fans (pay what you want, 5 quid for adults etc). Its about the only way they can keep crowds up. 

That being said, they are still a well supported, big club and so have enough of a pull, even when they're in the conference. 

Rovers on the other hand would be finished if we went up, unlike County they have nothing going for them and with their ground and league position, that isn't going to change

They would not be finished though would they, no matter what you think they have a (small) hardcore of fans that would still go. They wouldn't suddenly all switch allegiance! Plus we can only fit 26 odd thousand in anyway!

Personally I'd rather they support the gypsies than see more Liverpool, man city etc etc shirts on young uns in and around bristol

• Like 2