IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

As an aside....

Does anybody know whether Rovers actually have a functioning Academy/Development set up?

My eldest has just started at the SGS Academy team under Dave Hockaday. The goalkeeping coach was with Rovers until last season and a load of the team left Rovers over the summer.

Obviously all the Academies let a large number of players go at 16 and SGS provide their Academy with the Scholarship environment to try and get them back into the Professional game (15 signed Pro contracts in last 5 years).

They play all the local teams under 18-21s (excluding us) and have beaten Swindon, Newport, Reading and Forest Green over the pre season and then CAT 1 teams in term time

SGS though rarely play Bristol Rovers as the standard they play at isn't of a sufficient level. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, cityal said:

That would still require the blue few to actually turn up in the sort of numbers that they have not witnessed for over 70 years!!

Bear in mind, at championship level, our average gates of over 20K are not really "sustainable" without a benefactor. I see no fundamental or structural reason why they would be better off in this regard, even if they were located at the fruit market.

They may claim support equal or better to ours but many years of evidence does not back this up. 

They must be the only club to have their attendances go down on promotion.

1974 promoted to the Championship (as is now) with 13,026 but the following seven seasons to relegation all had less (5,929 in the last season)

1990 promoted to the Championship with 6,202 then three seasons to relegation all under 6k.

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

They must be the only club to have their attendances go down on promotion.

1974 promoted to the Championship (as is now) with 13,026 but the following seven seasons to relegation all had less (5,929 in the last season)

1990 promoted to the Championship with 6,202 then three seasons to relegation all under 6k.

It's what they do.

#GasLogic

14 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Any Arab billionaire wouldn't be wasting their time with a 3rd division club stuck in a non league ground and train on a Sunday league pitch,

It also seems unlikely that someone with any real money or stature would leave Wael to get on with heading operations, if they have done their homework and seen what he has done once the family left him on his own they surely cannot been impressed.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Any Arab billionaire wouldn't be wasting their time with a 3rd division club stuck in a non league ground and train on a Sunday league pitch,

Unless they have bought them for the same reason that Robert Maxwell bought Oxford United; he wanted somewhere near his home where he could land his helicopter.

• Haha 1

I rarely go on to their 'Forum' but now and again I do when I'm having a particularly sh!te day. Today is one of those days so I had a quick look to cheer myself up.

They start by saying, 'I don't know how the planning process works but .........'

'fast track route' ?
'surely we don't have to wait in a Queue' ?

The best bit though: 'affects something of cultural importance to the city' ??

Thank you S@gchat for cheering me up!!

39 minutes ago  
Post Options

Post by heartofgas on 39 minutes ago

I don't know how the planning process works but surely there is a fast track route if the planning permission affects something of cultural importance to the city. Surely we don't have to wait in a queue behind Mr Wilsons proposal to build a porch on the front of his 3 bed semi?

dudelebowski
Club Legend
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, supercidered said:
I rarely go on to their 'Forum' but now and again I do when I'm having a particularly sh!te day. Today is one of those days so I had a quick look to cheer myself up.

They start by saying, 'I don't know how the planning process works but .........'

'fast track route' ?

39 minutes ago  
Post Options

I don't know how the planning process works but surely there is a fast track route if the planning permission affects something of cultural importance to the city. Surely we don't have to wait in a queue behind Mr Wilsons proposal to build a porch on the front of his 3 bed semi?

dudelebowski
Club Legend

If Mr Wilson lives in a certain part of Horfield, perhaps he’ll revise his plans for a porch and go for a 3,000 seater conservatory in his back garden instead  - queue jumped in an instance 

Edited by Scrumpty
  • Haha 2

It gets me that all the objections I`ve read have been well thought out, considered and well written whereas the comments in support from their dribblers are along the lines of ` we want a new stand and you better let us build it or else`.

I hope the poor sods who have to read them are at least getting a chuckle out of it.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, supercidered said:

'fast track route' ?

39 minutes ago  
Post Options

dudelebowski
Club Legend

This guy aught to apply for the spin doctorate at Conservative H Q............ he can put the most positive slant on anything ! we are totally crap, got an ex con for a manager, no crowds, a shithole of a ground and deluded as ****, ideal for a capital venturer I'd have thought !

Pisspoorblue might need reminding that 15 stole a rugby club’s ground and have somehow contrived to make what was already a crappy dump appreciably worse in the past 25 years.

Glad they recognise that getting into the Prem is a lot more difficult than getting into the second tier - doesn’t say a lot for them though, haven’t come close to achieving that since we effectively relegated them in Apr ‘93.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

"Disjointed out-of-town stadium" ?

Reading maps obviously not this fella's strength. 

Is this the easy access stadium that only has one small bridge access from the A4? That is due to be sited next to 3 x recycling plants, Bristol Water depot and the river. Not only that but the proposal from Congyer is for them to have a portion of the site, with the rest made up of residential and business space.

With the trainline bordering to the north as well.

How is this easy access? It's only if you get a train into Temple Meads and walk there. How many supporters are going to do that. 

If the Arena had problems right next to this site, how do they figure this sort of proposal is going to go down?

11 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Is this the easy access stadium that only has one small bridge access from the A4? That is due to be sited next to 3 x recycling plants, Bristol Water depot and the river. Not only that but the proposal from Congyer is for them to have a portion of the site, with the rest made up of residential and business space.

How is this easy access? It's only if you get a train into Temple Meads and walk there. How many supporters are going to do that. 

If the Arena had problems right next to this site, how do they figure this sort of proposal is going to go down?

I live Arnos Vale side of Bris, and let me say I ******* love living there, but my god is it a bad place for a football stadium. Said on here a few times, but I frequently go down that way walking/voing to temple meads to get the train, and I genuinely couldn’t imagine many worse places for a ‘go-to’ event space. Let alone a football stadium. No pubs, no walk ways, no buses, no anything. They’re genuinely better off staying put. 

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I live Arnos Vale side of Bris, and let me say I ******* love living there, but my god is it a bad place for a football stadium. Said on here a few times, but I frequently go down that way walking/voing to temple meads to get the train, and I genuinely couldn’t imagine many worse places for a ‘go-to’ event space. Let alone a football stadium. No pubs, no walk ways, no buses, no anything. They’re genuinely better off staying put. 

2015 won't care.

As long as the Fruitihad is bigger than "Trashton", then they will all be happy.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

@petehinton I work on Feeder Road. The bottle necks around there are only going to get worse when the new University of Bristol Campus is built right next to where they want to build this stadium. Allied to the 3000 other student flats they are building opposite the nightclub on the corner of Cattle market Road and Feeder Road and the whole place will have to be pedestrianised soon.

The Gas are looking at the site now. Unfortunately in the next 2 years current redevelopment around Temple Meads that is being built at present (let alone a company that hasn't even put in a planning proposal) will completely change the dynamics of the area. There is a reason the Arena didn't end up there after all.

The site itself will be worth so much more money to Congyer for housing. You just know Rovers are going to get pushed out at some stage.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Interest rates continue to rise, house prices falling cost of materials is ever changing and there is a skills shortage.

If you were a developer, would you want to put all your eggs is a residential development basket at the mo

12 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Interest rates continue to rise, house prices falling cost of materials is ever changing and there is a skills shortage.

If you were a developer, would you want to put all your eggs is a residential development basket at the mo

Rob, as per my previous response to @petehinton

The whole area is changing and becoming a student quarter for the University (Old Sorting office next to BTM). 

If they were looking at the whole site to build the stadium on, then maybe it might work, but they're not. They're getting a corner plot apparently alongside more residential and businesses.

"Conygar’s plans are said to include a large-scale housing and urban development containing hotels, restaurants and other leisure facilities. Should negotiations with Rovers prove successful, Bristol Live understands there is a provision for a stadium with an initial capacity in the region of 17,000-20,000 with options to expand."

The whole proposal just reads like "Put this in, put that in. Let's just keep our options open on anything and everything". The only option missing seems to be a new ice rink ?.

Have they seen the size of that plot? It's not he biggest in the least.

Then there is the issue of the financing of the stadium itself. Which reads like Rovers getting conned by some sort of Nigerian General or Spanish Lottery type scam.

Edited by NcnsBcfc

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

"Disjointed out-of-town stadium" ?

Reading maps obviously not this fella's strength. 

That one seems to mistake 'good investment' for 'cheap'.

Just because you don't pay much for something doesn't mean you get a better return. When something is a total mess it means you need to spend a ****** fortune to put it right.

Do you think they will feature on one of those DIY rescue programs? Homes Under the Hammer?