IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

Think it depends on length of support, game ‘experiences’, where you’ve lived as to who you consider our rivals to be, my 1-4 order in edgy, tense, atmospheric games would be:-

1) Sags

2) Cardiff

3) Millwall

4) Brum

The likes of Swansea, Muff, Pompey all jostling for attention behind that group. Swindon, oddly, never really registered as a rival despite being my first away day.

I'd say that we no longer have a proper rivalry with any club, the days when the Bristol derby featured in listings of the top ten derbies in Britain are long gone.

The others you list may have some edge through localness and history but I would say that a key aspect of a rivalry is always looking out for the rival team's result and the only teams I now take notice of, other than Rovers, are teams in which I have an interest because they are, or were local to me, so it doesn't derive from rivalry.

I look out for the Plymouth, Exeter and Torquay results but don't see them in any way as being rivals.

I suppose that if we have to name a rival then it's Rovers but that's only because they used to be proper rivals, it's been at least a decade since they were even close to being that. "Coming for us" indeed.

3 hours ago, 95red said:

The rivalry between  city & rovers  in the late 70s,80 90s was unbelievable yep definitely  do miss those times ,feel sorry for the young uns on here who've  never experienced  it .if we played  them tomorrow  it'd  still be great ,don't kid yourselfs cardiff  swindon  etc are are main rivals  they ain't. 

I’ve only truly hated one set of fans and that is Rovers fans.
Many a story to be told (not on here) hunting them down around Eastville, Twerton, AG when they played Swindon, and generally all round Bristol and Bath. Only one word hatred, but as I get older, the rivalry wains. Still got my 10 holed DMs just in case I get a chance to wear them again 😆 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

I’ve only truly hated one set of fans and that is Rovers fans.
Many a story to be told (not on here) hunting them down around Eastville, Twerton, AG when they played Swindon, and generally all round Bristol and Bath. Only one word hatred, but as I get older, the rivalry wains. Still got my 10 holed DMs just in case I get a chance to wear them again 😆 

10 hole? I'd pass out being bent over long enough to put them on nowadays! 😮‍💨

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Now apparently opened talks with Matt Taylor, which shows that it’s been 4 weeks and they don’t want to appoint anyone that they’ve spoken to so far. Tinpot as ****

Not necessarily tinpot. Robinson was favourite and ideal but Taylor got sacked 2 days ago so he’s become available and he’s probably better

5 minutes ago, Boring Sag said:

Not necessarily tinpot. Robinson was favourite and ideal but Taylor got sacked 2 days ago so he’s become available and he’s probably better

Hell of a risk. It’s gone public now, So if Taylor turns it down, Rovers crawl back to someone and basically say well now you know we didn’t really want you, but do you fancy the job anyway please?

5 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

This is correct.

The stand is temporary. It is designed and constructed to collapse and be removed within the next five years.

This will coincide perfectly with Rovers being relegated back to non-league football, and the appointment of Jon Lansdown as their new Chairman.

The club that is the very definition of `built in obsolesence`

• Like 1

Whoever gets the job will need to check for drawing pins on the Rovers office chairs.

I once worked with a chap who was sacked. He handed back the keys of his company car for his replacement to take on a few weeks later. It was the middle of summer and he left unwrapped stilton and kippers under the passenger seat. 

3 hours ago, petehinton said:

Hell of a risk. It’s gone public now, So if Taylor turns it down, Rovers crawl back to someone and basically say well now you know we didn’t really want you, but do you fancy the job anyway please?

Is it particularly risky? Was this not City’s exact strategy with Liam Manning after strong links with Lampard and Eustace for days?

Rovers already had this from when it was announced they were negotiating with more than one candidate. 

4 minutes ago, Boring Sag said:

Is it particularly risky? Was this not City’s exact strategy with Liam Manning after strong links with Lampard and Eustace for days?

Rovers already had this from when it was announced they were negotiating with more than one candidate. 

He’s back!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Boring Sag said:

Probably more to do with many on your list of potential candidates missing criminal convictions on their CV

1 hour ago, Boring Sag said:

We didn’t speak to/interview anyone other than Manning, and local media didn’t report on anything other than Manning, so no not really

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Whoever gets the job will need to check for drawing pins on the Rovers office chairs.

I once worked with a chap who was sacked. He handed back the keys of his company car for his replacement to take on a few weeks later. It was the middle of summer and he left unwrapped stilton and kippers under the passenger seat. 

Are you suggesting that Mr Barton may have left some booby traps for his successor? 

Shame on you! He doesn`t have a vindictive bone in his body...................................

7 hours ago, petehinton said:

Now apparently opened talks with Matt Taylor, which shows that it’s been 4 weeks and they don’t want to appoint anyone that they’ve spoken to so far. Tinpot as ****

Or.. anyone that they’ve spoken to on closer inspection don’t want a bar of it because they’re as tinpot as ***.