IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

This new stand. I may have missed it but have they got planning permission for it yet? I know they started the build without it but has it now gone through? Or do they still not have permission to actually let anyone in yet? 

And, with that roof! Why did they make it so high? Looks ridiculous. 

6 hours ago, Harry said:

This new stand. I may have missed it but have they got planning permission for it yet? I know they started the build without it but has it now gone through? Or do they still not have permission to actually let anyone in yet? 

And, with that roof! Why did they make it so high? Looks ridiculous. 

Yeh, permission was granted a few weeks back

59 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Taylor would be a decent appointment for them. 

If confirmed, at least the blue quarter, or is it a fifth, of Bristol will be represented by someone who isn't known for his long list of misdemeanors.

He will have some challenges. A mix of loan players and creaking oldies on their last contract.

1 hour ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Taylor would be a decent appointment for them. 

Decent on what basis (serious question)? He did okay at Exeter, yes. But that was a 'cosy' appointment at a club he knew well and was already a (little) bit of a legend there. At Rotherham, he did well to keep them in division, granted. But only just and the start to this season (when his ways really kick in) was very poor.

I'd say, at best, the jury is out on Matty Taylor (which probably swung it for him on this occasion)

38 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

Decent on what basis (serious question)? He did okay at Exeter, yes. But that was a 'cosy' appointment at a club he knew well and was already a (little) bit of a legend there. At Rotherham, he did well to keep them in division, granted. But only just and the start to this season (when his ways really kick in) was very poor.

I'd say, at best, the jury is out on Matty Taylor (which probably swung it for him on this occasion)

Decent in the fact that we are talking about the gas, a league minnow. 

3 hours ago, Scrumpty said:

I thought he had Rotherham playing some decent football last season though. Of all the teams down the bottom it felt to me like they were the ones who really didn’t look bad enough to be there.

That said, I’m not sure how he’ll replicate the sort of football he tried to play at Rotherham with the squad of players he’s got at the R###s. Big, big reset this summer on the cards. 

4 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I thought he had Rotherham playing some decent football last season though. Of all the teams down the bottom it felt to me like they were the ones who really didn’t look bad enough to be there.

That said, I’m not sure how he’ll replicate the sort of football he tried to play at Rotherham with the squad of players he’s got at the R###s. Big, big reset this summer on the cards. 

Dispassionately it’s a good appointment for both parties. Taylor did a very good job at Exeter and earned the Rotherham job, where it’s fair to say he met or even exceeded expectation by keeping them in the division. This season not as strong but it’s hard to argue they aren’t broadly where they should be and it felt like an “early” sacking. 

However, having been sacked by Rotherham it’s not likely he’ll have championship clubs calling so his next job would have to be league one. He’s got links to the area (insert “knows the club” meme) and is taking over a mid sized club in the division so if he gets it right, has potential to take them forward. Hes a good appointment for them and it feels like a decent fit for him.

That being said, I hope he crashes and burns into oblivion.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Dispassionately it’s a good appointment for both parties. Taylor did a very good job at Exeter and earned the Rotherham job, where it’s fair to say he met or even exceeded expectation by keeping them in the division. This season not as strong but it’s hard to argue they aren’t broadly where they should be and it felt like an “early” sacking. 

However, having been sacked by Rotherham it’s not likely he’ll have championship clubs calling so his next job would have to be league one. He’s got links to the area (insert “knows the club” meme) and is taking over a mid sized club in the division so if he gets it right, has potential to take them forward. Hes a good appointment for them and it feels like a decent fit for him.

That being said, I hope he crashes and burns into oblivion.

As you say, it makes a lot of sense.

Not employing someone as manager who has been in prison, who managed to upset a family yesterday who had their son murdered by his brother, who employed a chief scout who had stood trial for the manslaughter of a policeman & was an obnoxious narcissist is admittedly an incredibly low bar, but fair play, the family club with such incredible support has pulled it off.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, 22A said:

So did Paul Tisdale; is there something in the Exeter set up that helps Managers do well?

The devil in me wants to say fan ownership. They’ve been owned by the fans for about 10 years and while doing so have progressed on what looks a sustainable basis (bearing in mind their size). I’m 99% certain that the fans/supporters club fund one young players wages each year as well.

Ethos wise that means the managers have to fit with the fanbase, and the fanbase then give them time - it’s a mutually beneficial scenario. I think I’m right in saying that the club also barred one Jevani Brown from playing after he assaulted a woman, and Rovers were able to sign him because Exeter delayed offering a deal until legal proceedings were complete, and because Rovers have a total lack of moral fibre.

Good club.

Edit - @ExiledAjax, great minds.

Edited by Silvio Dante

19 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

From the BBC:-

"We would like to thank our fans for being patient with us throughout this thorough process whilst we identified the correct person to lead us in this new era for Bristol Rovers," chairman Hussain Al-Saeed said.

Were they looking at police line ups?

Clever use of words...

The identified the right person. He didn't say they'd appointed them. 

@Silvio Dante

Yep great minds.

They've had this structure for longer than you think actually. It's 20 years now as the Supporters Trust took over in 2003.

The Exeter Exiles and the supporters trust run the "1931 Fund", and as you say this money goes towards the wages of a player, who then takes squad number 31.

That player is currently a certain Vincent Harper, formerly of this parish!

It's such an incredible story, and really doesn't deserve to be discussed on this tainted thread.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 4