IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

7 minutes ago, Smaller than a flea said:

I don't know if DC did it because he thought he wouldn't be able to work with the maniac at Leeds, or the new contract offer was too good to turn down, or he's simply loyal to the club and keeping his promise to get Rovers to top 10 in L1.

Whatever the reason, it's a huge relief he's signed. The names Gary Johnson and Ian Holloway had already been mentioned as replacements. Both, especially the second, would have been a catastrophe.

Out of interest why do you think Holloway would be a catastrophe for you. He would be for us but that's an entirely different story!

3 hours ago, Miahdennehy said:

No not really. If a team gets promoted, it's because over the course of a season, they have done what is required  to get promotion!

You had unbelievable good fortune on the playoff final, when your goalkeeper deliberately handballed a shot that was heading in, when he was outside the area.

2 hours ago, Seventeen said:

I feel you've missed the point a little.

Just because we were on the pitch singing about staying up doesn't mean that we didn't have relegation coming. Obviously after that result we thought we would stay up, and I expect the majority of you were thinking "Lucky bastards have done it again". I don't remember calls for a promotion push that season, definitely the season before when Ward took over and we were in with a shout of a late push until Bradford put them dreams to bed. 

We flirted with relegation every year in the League after relegation from League One, and it was turning into a case of when, not if, we get relegated. We were getting dicked by teams like York and Hartlepool 4-0. We deserved to be relegated and had done for a few seasons.

I would like to know how you feel DC wasn't chucked in at the deep end though. Chucking him in with 8 games to go was a horrible decision.

There were a tonne of you lot on here saying we'd be playing each other the following season, even though we had moved away from the drop zone, and rovers were about 16th. Plenty were saying you would sneak into the playoffs, in the end though you were beaten by a team who couldn't give a toss about the game.

Secondly, why would you be on the pitch singing "we are staying up" if you didn't think you were going to stay up. Singing it in the stand is fair enough, and pretty standard when a struggling team gets a win, but to invade the pitch? No, sorry that's horse shit.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, City169 said:

You had unbelievable good fortune on the playoff final, when your goalkeeper deliberately handballed a shot that was heading in, when he was outside the area.

True, but anyone who gets promoted (or relegated) has some good luck (or bad luck) throughout the season. If you say Rovers were lucky to go up because of a decision going our way in the play off final, then by the same token you would have to acknowledge that we were unlucky to go down after we battered Mansfield and did everything but score in our last game. We got relegated because we deserved it, and we got promoted because we deserved it.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Miahdennehy said:

True, but anyone who gets promoted (or relegated) has some good luck (or bad luck) throughout the season. If you say Rovers were lucky to go up because of a decision going our way in the play off final, then by the same token you would have to acknowledge that we were unlucky to go down after we battered Mansfield and did everything but score in our last game. We got relegated because we deserved it, and we got promoted because we deserved it.

While in some ways I think you are correct. The team that goes up, or down over a season deserves it, you focus on the last game/games as they are at the business end of the season , but the tone has been set by the previous 30+ games. A play off game is a one off so one bit of (mis)fortune can dictate your fate, a team that finishes 20 points ahead of another can lose a final to a deflected shot...... just thinking out loud .

1 hour ago, Miahdennehy said:

Fair point; but if I were to play devil's advocate and retort when you went down you were relegated because over 46 games you didn't do enough - long enough for luck to even out; when you went up from the conference you went up in a lottery. You did as much as Grimsby to put yourselves in a shoot-out and lucked out on a single, winner takes all, event. 

By the same token I wouldn't suggest you were lucky Accrington didn't beat Stevenage. I wouldn't because they had 46 games and long enough for luck to even out to place themselves in front of you. Grimsby, however, you could reasonably argue got shafted over the course of one game; a singular event where luck doesn't even out. 

So anyone who goes up automatically, it's evened out, anyone who goes up in 90 (or pens) at Wembley.... The loser can bemoan luck. 

Edited by Guest

35 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Fair point; but if I were to play devil's advocate and retort when you went down you were relegated because over 46 games you didn't do enough - long enough for luck to even out; when you went up from the conference you went up in a lottery. You did as much as Grimsby to put yourselves in a shoot-out and lucked out on a single, winner takes all, event. 

By the same token I wouldn't suggest you were lucky Accrington didn't beat Stevenage. I wouldn't because they had 46 games and long enough for luck to even out to place themselves in front of you. Grimsby, however, you could reasonably argue got shafted over the course of one game; a singular event where luck doesn't even out. 

So anyone who goes up automatically, it's evened out, anyone who goes up in 90 (or pens) at Wembley.... The loser can bemoan luck. 

Basically this is my point, but much better put. 

Had the correct decision been made, Rovers would have played over half the game a player down. That is a huge difference.

16 minutes ago, City169 said:

Basically this is my point, but much better put. 

Had the correct decision been made, Rovers would have played over half the game a player down. That is a huge difference.

Well in that case had the referee given the foul on our keeper when Dover equalised in the last minute in our penultimate game, we would have gone up in first place instead of Barnet.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Miahdennehy said:

Well in that case had the referee given the foul on our keeper when Dover equalised in the last minute in our penultimate game, we would have gone up in first place instead of Barnet.

Cheers Miah, that's really brightened up my night.

If I ever bemoan a last minute equaliser against Dover, could someone ship me off to Dignitas.

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, Miahdennehy said:

You're missing the point... You had 46 games up until that point. For the one decision you didn't get at Dover you got one at Braintree (tongue in cheek).

But seriously, the point is over 46 90 minute events luck cannot really separate you and Barnet, you had 46x90mins to put yourselves ahead. If you didn't that's a failure, not luck.

In one single game however, someone on the end of a bad decision can feel aggrieved. Over the league you cannot look at one game in isolation (like Dover) you need to consider the 46 as a whole, In a playoff what went before is irrelevant - ask Wimbledon, ask Barnsely, ask Sheff Weds. It's what matters over 90 that counts: which in turn means luck over that 90 counts  

8 minutes ago, Miahdennehy said:

Not really, I was agreeing with the over 46 games the luck evens out. So that would be accounted for. 

There was 2 major decisions I can remember from the playoff final. One was the red card that wasn't given, and the other was when one of your strikers (Taylor?) dived to try and get a penalty, that one the ref got absolutely spot on.

Mind you, imagine trying to cheat to get out of non league!

5 minutes ago, 29AR said:

You're missing the point... You had 46 games up until that point. For the one decision you didn't get at Dover you got one at Braintree (tongue in cheek).

But seriously, the point is over 46 90 minute events luck cannot really separate you and Barnet, you had 46x90mins to put yourselves ahead. If you didn't that's a failure, not luck.

In one single game however, someone on the end of a bad decision can feel aggrieved. Over the league you cannot look at one game in isolation (like Dover) you need to consider the 46 as a whole, In a playoff what went before is irrelevant - ask Wimbledon, ask Barnsely, ask Sheff Weds. It's what matters over 90 that counts: which in turn means luck over that 90 counts  

You posted this as I was typing essentially the same thing

4 hours ago, Southstandoriginal said:

Out of interest why do you think Holloway would be a catastrophe for you. He would be for us but that's an entirely different story!

Because I think he lost the plot at Palace and Millwall and the stress of it all seemed to do him in. Also the old adage of 'never go back' applies in spades here. He lost it in 2000 when we bottled the playoffs and admitted managing Rovers as a fan and ex-player was a bit too much to take.  

Still, he, and we, don't have to speculate about that now.

Just as well Reading sacked their manager today and not last week.  That would have been a much more tempting offer for DC.

17 minutes ago, Smaller than a flea said:

Because I think he lost the plot at Palace and Millwall and the stress of it all seemed to do him in. Also the old adage of 'never go back' applies in spades here. He lost it in 2000 when we bottled the playoffs and admitted managing Rovers as a fan and ex-player was a bit too much to take.  

Still, he, and we, don't have to speculate about that now.

Just as well Reading sacked their manager today and not last week.  That would have been a much more tempting offer for DC.

Agree. Which makes me wonder if DC was trigger happy. That could have been a good job for him and one he may have been a reasonable candidate for. On the flip side, a three year deal on the biggest ever managerial wages for someone who has only achieved promotion from the basement of the football league... That's gambling too. 

Ultimately I come down to no DC wasn't trigger happy; he just earned himself a fine pay off. 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Miahdennehy said:

Well if you weren't so shit, you wouldn't have been playing Dover in the first place.

• Like 3

To suggest that Rovers were lucky with their two promotions ranks a bit of bitterness to be honest. I'm firmly of the belief that teams create their own luck and over 46 games the table doesn't lie. Regardless if they should have had a player sent off at wembley, Grimsby still had plenty of chances to win the game but blew those opportunities.

Just let them enjoy their limited success confined to the lower leagues.... and remember, neither of their recent promotions are a patch on how we absolutely steamrollered League 1 last year whilst picking up the paint pot along the way. :D

• Like 3

7 hours ago, 29AR said:

Agree. Which makes me wonder if DC was trigger happy. That could have been a good job for him and one he may have been a reasonable candidate for. On the flip side, a three year deal on the biggest ever managerial wages for someone who has only achieved promotion from the basement of the football league... That's gambling too. 

Ultimately I come down to no DC wasn't trigger happy; he just earned himself a fine pay off. 

I don't think he was trigger happy he's ambitious and we as fans are looking forward to our journey together 

5 hours ago, Kim_il_sung said:

To suggest that Rovers were lucky with their two promotions ranks a bit of bitterness to be honest. I'm firmly of the belief that teams create their own luck and over 46 games the table doesn't lie. Regardless if they should have had a player sent off at wembley, Grimsby still had plenty of chances to win the game but blew those opportunities.

Just let them enjoy their limited success confined to the lower leagues.... and remember, neither of their recent promotions are a patch on how we absolutely steamrollered League 1 last year whilst picking up the paint pot along the way. :D

I had to 'unlike' this after I read this bit :)

2 hours ago, Philgas said:

We had to be shit in the first place to come back stronger 

I would agree with that and wish you luck for the future. Your new owner seems half decent and Daryl Clarke has made a good decision by staying with you.

I still hate The Gas though !

• Like 1