IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

24 minutes ago, 29AR said:

That first para is a lot of rubbish mate. You were on the pitch at Wycombe singing we are staying up on the penultimate weekend and you went down because you lost to a team who didn't bring their own kit; and at the same time had to rely on two other results going against you to conspire in your relegation. Finally, you were only in the bottom two once during that season, being when it finished; only what, eight weeks after talk of sneaking in the playoffs?

Sorry, but that's very, very clearly not heading to the conference anyway nor can it really be being dropped in to the deep end.

The rest I agree with.

Best post on here in a long time.

On 30/09/2015 at 21:02, 29AR said:

It's about time they started exercising some sanity. There are probably at least 80 or so of the 92 football league teams that would gladly sell out just as quickly as they would sack a manager. They (BRFC)  have very little to distinguish them from anyone else.

If anything I would've thought it more likely they have distinguished themselves as 'uninvestable'. They have a decrepid ground, nil assets but for that which they need to play (and even then I doubt the land value of the mem is really that substantial), no continuity from an academy setup, years behind their nearest rival in terms of infrastructure at least, no history, little organisation, debts to payday lenders, a bank which called in their credit and a legal dispute in process. 

Given the choice of investment why would anyone look at putting a significant amount into Bristol Rovers for any reason other than they are a fan? For some balance the same same could've reasonably been said of BCFC even years ago and perhaps even today. It wasn't that long ago to be fair that they probably were quite investable and I don't doubt that they could get there again, but hopes of that angel in the near future are (I would guess) probably just as unfounded now as hoping that one of their fans wins the euro millions and feels philanthropic. 

Strong post.

24 minutes ago, 29AR said:

That first para is a lot of rubbish mate. You were on the pitch at Wycombe singing we are staying up on the penultimate weekend and you went down because you lost to a team who didn't bring their own kit; and at the same time had to rely on two other results going against you to conspire in your relegation. Finally, you were only in the bottom two once during that season, being when it finished; only what, eight weeks after talk of sneaking in the playoffs?

Sorry, but that's very, very clearly not heading to the conference anyway nor can it really be being dropped in to the deep end.

The rest I agree with.

I feel you've missed the point a little.

Just because we were on the pitch singing about staying up doesn't mean that we didn't have relegation coming. Obviously after that result we thought we would stay up, and I expect the majority of you were thinking "Lucky bastards have done it again". I don't remember calls for a promotion push that season, definitely the season before when Ward took over and we were in with a shout of a late push until Bradford put them dreams to bed. 

We flirted with relegation every year in the League after relegation from League One, and it was turning into a case of when, not if, we get relegated. We were getting dicked by teams like York and Hartlepool 4-0. We deserved to be relegated and had done for a few seasons.

I would like to know how you feel DC wasn't chucked in at the deep end though. Chucking him in with 8 games to go was a horrible decision.

26 minutes ago, Weezord said:

Clearly.

What, in the name of God, do you think you are contributing to this forum? Unlike your cyber hovel, reasonable posters who support rovers are welcome and have shown themselves to be quite self deprecating and all round good posters. You, on the other hand, have come on to the City forum just be post snide, one word/sentence replies (once you got over the shame of being a sag).

Do us all a favour and get yourself banned.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Weezord said:

Clearly.

Have you got nothing else to do? The majority of Gas posting on here are half sensible and make a contribution.

You are just a ******** who was too ashamed to admit who he supported (understandable) and spend your entire time spouting shite. 

Do one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Son Of Nob said:

What, in the name of God, do you think you are contributing to this forum? Unlike your cyber hovel, reasonable posters who support rovers are welcome and have shown themselves to be quite self deprecating and all round good posters. You, on the other hand, have come on to the City forum just be post snide, one word/sentence replies (once you got over the shame of being a sag).

Great minds thinking alike, Son of Nob!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Seventeen said:

Just because we were on the pitch singing about staying up doesn't mean that we didn't have relegation coming. Obviously after that result we thought we would stay up, and I expect the majority of you were thinking "Lucky bastards have done it again". I don't remember calls for a promotion push that season, definitely the season before when Ward took over and we were in with a shout of a late push until Bradford put them dreams to bed. 

We flirted with relegation every year in the League after relegation from League One, and it was turning into a case of when, not if, we get relegated. We were getting dicked by teams like York and Hartlepool 4-0. We deserved to be relegated and had done for a few seasons.

I would like to know how you feel DC wasn't chucked in at the deep end though. Chucking him in with 8 games to go was a horrible decision.

It is a deep end, it is a deep end for any rookie manager. In his favour he was part of the backroom; much like when we had Pemberton and Wade Elliot step up in tough circumstances in roles they were unfamiliar with; and they won in adversity.

What I take objection to is the theme of inevitability about your relegation throughout your post prior to DC taking over. As I said, the only point you entered the bottom 2 that season was about 4pm on the final game of the season; you had a relatively comfortable run in, and even a defeat then wouldn't send you down as you needed two other results to conspire to result in relegation: much like needing Accy not to beat Stevenage to go up.

I've also said before DC has done very well since that time and it's no surprise to me he's on Leeds' radar. When Peterborough's job came up I thought he might have been fancied for that one too. But I don't think you can rewrite history to show he was handed a bomb to catch. He wasn't. He was given a job with very reasonable prospects of keeping you up and didn't. What's refreshing is he got another chance and proved worthy of it.

39 minutes ago, Seventeen said:

Sacking Ward with 8 games to go was the horrible decision.  He'd have kept you up IMO.

2 hours ago, Son Of Nob said:

I'm contributing to your mammoth Bristol Rovers thread in case you hadn't noticed.

2 minutes ago, Weezord said:

I'm contributing to your mammoth Bristol Rovers thread in case you hadn't noticed.

Fair enough and I think you're right...every Rovers thread should have a Gas d1ck with nothing to say contributing every so often.

Not too embarrassed to admit who you support now then?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, 29AR said:

It is a deep end, it is a deep end for any rookie manager. In his favour he was part of the backroom; much like when we had Pemberton and Wade Elliot step up in tough circumstances in roles they were unfamiliar with; and they won in adversity.

What I take objection to is the theme of inevitability about your relegation throughout your post prior to DC taking over. As I said, the only point you entered the bottom 2 that season was about 4pm on the final game of the season; you had a relatively comfortable run in, and even a defeat then wouldn't send you down as you needed two other results to conspire to result in relegation: much like needing Accy not to beat Stevenage to go up.

I've also said before DC has done very well since that time and it's no surprise to me he's on Leeds' radar. When Peterborough's job came up I thought he might have been fancied for that one too. But I don't think you can rewrite history to show he was handed a bomb to catch. He wasn't. He was given a job with very reasonable prospects of keeping you up and didn't. What's refreshing is he got another chance and proved worthy of it.

I wasn't trying to create excuses or make it sound like we were down before DC took charge, obviously we went down because we were unable to beat a team who had nothing to play for on the last day when everything seemed to be in our favor. I'm just trying to get across that over a number of seasons in League 2 we were poor, and it just felt like sooner or later we were gonna get relegated. We had it coming in a sense that we were being run horribly both on and off the pitch for a few years.

44 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Sacking Ward with 8 games to go was the horrible decision.  He'd have kept you up IMO.

It was, but I'm still not sure he would have kept us up. Ward played far too defensively and wouldn't have got what seemed to be 3 massive points against against Wycombe.  

• Like 1

I don't know if DC did it because he thought he wouldn't be able to work with the maniac at Leeds, or the new contract offer was too good to turn down, or he's simply loyal to the club and keeping his promise to get Rovers to top 10 in L1.

Whatever the reason, it's a huge relief he's signed. The names Gary Johnson and Ian Holloway had already been mentioned as replacements. Both, especially the second, would have been a catastrophe.