IGNORED

The Office (UK): Ipswich Town edition

LondonBristolian

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

The TWTD posse will be reading!!

Gassan Ahadme gone to Cambridge United on loan for the season.

I may be well wide of the mark, but this is a classic example of signing someone on a 3-year deal on too much money, who you can’t move on permanently because nobody will take on his contract.  Fee in 6-figures too.

On the flipside, Jack Taylor a good signing for them on paper, fits their style.

Is there a chance that their finances are actually all in good order? Not questioning your good work, it's just intriguing that he's going on that podcast, (presumably Kieran Maguire?), and he knows his stuff doesn't he. Sounds like he could be onto a hiding if he tries BS'ing his way through.

18 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Is there a chance that their finances are actually all in good order? Not questioning your good work, it's just intriguing that he's going on that podcast, (presumably Kieran Maguire?), and he knows his stuff doesn't he. Sounds like he could be onto a hiding if he tries BS'ing his way through.

I haven’t questioned their finances!!!

I have said that some of their fans are poorly informed if they think their owners can invest their way out of the Championship like the SCMP rules allow in Lg1 (and Lg2). P&S in the Championship is a different beast though.

I posted similar on their forum.

I actually think they have headroom to spend, just not as much as they think.  Even Benjamin Bloom asked KM / POF if they could front-load their costs this season for the 3-year cycle, but KM advised (like I did on their forum) that the first 3-year cycle includes 21/22 (£12m loss), 22/23 (similar according to many Ipswich fans who heard Ashton speak as their forum)…leaving 23/24.  Who knows what the loss will be.

Pros:

• match day revenue increases, they’ll sell out nigh on most weeks probably.
  • commercial revenues increased
  • tv money up

Cons:

• wage bill getting bigger and bigger
  • amortisation getting bigger and bigger
  • Squad getting bigger and bigger and having to subsidise wages by loaning out fringe players on wages too high to sell.  It’s a bit like us having to loan Taylor Moore out, because nobody could afford to buy him…so he costs you dead amortisation and a portion of his wages.

What loss amount that equates to I don’t know.  If they buy sensibly like your Jack Taylor type signing, they’ll be fine.

If they start spending £4s and £5s millions on players like Simms, then they are really playing a “we need to go straight up” game.

To clarify, only thing I’m calling out as BS is his claim of “net neutral” for a season that hasn’t started yet, let alone finished.

I can go into more detail if need be.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

That will be blamed on Paul Cook no doubt 

To quote MA at the time, from one of his early interviews:

”Mike (O’Leary) and I said - we’ve got to get Rakeem here”

Chairman and CEO driving who to sign, not Cook. They knew Harper from their time at West Brom.

20 hours ago, nebristolred said:

Apologies a poor choice of wording on my part, I didn't mean you'd suggested any irregularity. Just intrigued to see if KM is likely to push him on a risky strategy of sorts.

KD does the interviews although I suspect KM prepares the questions. I always find them a bit nicey, nice with interviews. The Huw Jenkins one being an example. He may have been the Messiah at the start of Swansea's run but he brought the house down by inviting American investment then appointing himself CEO. In which role he bought a crocked Bony and gave him £100,000 per week wages, signed quite a few duds for a lot of money (£14 million Sam Clucas), appointed a dismal American manager etc, etc. My point being that there were no awkward questions about things that had gone wrong only questions about the good stuff.

Personally expecting a bit of a love in with smarmy Mark.

2 hours ago, Warwickshire Red said:

Talk of ITFC increasing their bid to £6m (4+2 adds ons) for Ellis Simms.

Where’s the money coming from or is it just Ashtonomics? (i.e. trouble down the road for FFP)?

Umm, can only have a rough guess here but maybe the yank owners?

28 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Umm, can only have a rough guess here but maybe the yank owners?

Yes get that and maybe not quite the right question.

Was trying to say, without sufficient balancing income, looks like he’s starting to take Ipswich down a similar road we’ve been on to FFP issues. 

Potential worrying signs for them.

6 minutes ago, Warwickshire Red said:

Was trying to say, without sufficient balancing income, looks like he’s starting to take Ipswich down a similar road we’ve been on to FFP issues. 

I'm not sure their fans have quite grasped how FFP is applied in the Championship.

Whereas Ashton has he just doesn't care.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warwickshire Red said:

Ah ok mate, agree with that!

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

No! ?

Haha, seriously though, I do find it odd. I know he’s (MA)a bit of a t*t, but what’s done is done. Let’s forgot about MA, it’s in the past. I feel we as a club are always looking backwards and it’s not healthy. Even our new Robin (splat) has a cricked neck looking behind him. We even keep looking backwards with our bloody retro kits. Let’s look forwards, look ahead and forget what happened before, it’s toxic IMO. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

That will be blamed on Paul Cook no doubt 

It’s Hakeeb Adelakun all over again. They’ll probably have a Liam Walsh type departure soon. Are the cracks starting to show?

Tune in next week. 

• Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Haha, seriously though, I do find it odd. I know he’s (MA)a bit of a t*t, but what’s done is done. Let’s forgot about MA, it’s in the past. I feel we as a club are always looking backwards and it’s not healthy. Even our new Robin (splat) has a cricked neck looking behind him. We even keep looking backwards with our bloody retro kits. Let’s look forwards, look ahead and forget what happened before, it’s toxic IMO. 

I've been re-watching the Fast Show on iPlayer recently. The show is in the past but Swiss Tony is still a funny character.

Ashton similarly is always good for a laugh. ?