IGNORED

The Office (UK): Ipswich Town edition

LondonBristolian

11 minutes ago, BilboBaggins05 said:

Jesus they’re deluded. They’re genuinely comparing George Hirst (24, striker, no goals in 40 at this level before this season), Connor Chaplin (26, average record mainly below this level), Luke Woolfenden (nearly 25, 3 games at this level) and Leif Davis (closest in age and experience, but basically one season in league one at 23) to a 19 year old who is the championship player of the year. 

I’ll have what they’re smoking.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, BilboBaggins05 said:

I hope ElderGrizzly is reading…because it shows him to completely ignorant about football outside of his TractorBoy bubble.  What a bellend….average!!!

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Jesus they’re deluded. They’re genuinely comparing George Hirst (24, striker, no goals in 40 at this level before this season), Connor Chaplin (26, average record mainly below this level), Luke Woolfenden (nearly 25, 3 games at this level) and Leif Davis (closest in age and experience, but basically one season in league one at 23) to a 19 year old who is the championship player of the year. 

I’ll have what they’re smoking.

Indeed.  Bonkers

• Like 1

On 13/07/2023 at 23:05, owainipswichfan said:

Ipswich fan in peace.

The fee for Hirst is 1.5 mill not 4.5 just to clarify.

Possibly rising to about 2.5.

I have a soft spot for your club.

Makes me sad to see the hate for Ashton when to us he's doing a good job but at the same time, I could meet a lass who's great to me but a grade a b*tch to a previous fella. So makes sense in that case.

Anyways you're signings have impressed me so far and if I'm being honest I can see links to our business too.

Here's to a great season for both.

With the greatest respect Owain,might be worth seeing what position your club is left in when Ashton eventually moves on.He has a history that goes back before us.Much as I dislike Ashton, I don't wish any ill will on your club and particularly enjoyed your victory last night. 

• Like 1

On 14/07/2023 at 19:42, FinleyG said:

Town fan here. (consider myself a realistic fan). 21/22 I did think cook went too soon but ultimately it's worked out. The reason Ipswich fans really love what Ashton is done is the communication. Clearly you lot have had piss poor experience with him in the past but he's not gone into hiding as you thought he would. Time will tell as he seems to stick around at places for 5 or so years. The fans feel connected to the club, the stadium is being looked after and upgraded, our transfers are more precise each window, the data dashboard is there from MA but McKenna is bringing in his targets. £1.5 each for Taylor and Hirst is good business. Latter's can rise to almost 4 after add-ons but that includes a prem clause etc. The core of the squad that had an excellent run in is quality enough to compete and the additions over the summer, 3 so far, and another maybe 2/3 could come will be good quality players improving the team and gives us a proper fight for top half. None of this promotion dross people are shouting for (wouldn't say no of course). Good luck to you all

You`ve only seen MA front and centre because you`re doing well. Hit a bit of bad form and watch him disappear into the background.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

More than one diamond though. 7 or 8 by the looks of it. 

His general track record at clubs sees things run aground badly was what I meant.

When they have multiple players injured medium to long term, have a 7 day stint say of West Brom Home, Middlesbrough Away, Birmingham Away mid Winter...that will be a typical Championship test of mettle.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

I think the only conclusion is that Ashton is a quality CEO and can brilliantly pick a player, and it's purely down to the manager at the time that he/we failed.

Look at Ashton now - gone on to great things, and Lee is languishing, struggling in L1 after repeated failures.

Up the Mark Ashton I say. Quality bloke and great footballing brain. It's the only conclusion...

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

9 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

A post that speaks more about you than anyone else on here 

Like another poster I can think of , anything to be ‘controversial’

Not really. Just didn’t see the fuss, but there we go. I’m wrong I guess, but that’s okay, we don’t have to all agree on everything, right? 

12 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

It’s all gone very quiet on the Ashton abuse 😂

Has it?  Pretty much every thread that touches upon the fact we’ve had to rebuild, or the money spent / losses made, will criticise Ashton, or a combo of Ashton, SL and LJ.

With regards to Ipswich, he’s struck gold with a manager in McKenna who has one playing identity.  Much easier to be efficient in recruitment with that plan.  I’d say McKenna is managing his boss very well.  He’s managing the team even better.

Things were quiet on here for a while don’t forget, a few of us saw what what happening in the background re the finances and ultimately led to Nige taking over a complete cluster#### of a situation.  We will have a better picture of Ipswich when we see their 22/23 accounts.

I woke up this morning to hear a bit of Forever Bristol pod and Dave asking Mark about Luton.  Mark suggested it was playing identity that allowed Luton to do what they did.  He also said it was a 2 year plan or some clubs have a 1 year plan.  I’d suggest it was longer than two years, a build from non-league, progress, a way of playing coupled with excellent recruitment to that way of playing.  Manager succession planning too.  What does that say about City and his time here?

He was a big part of a failed set-up here.

As he was at Oxford and Watford.

Whats the difference at Ipswich?

1. McKenna

2. Gamechanger 2020 - an ownership group that appear to take no bullshit

But that’s just our outside view….and it’s early days.

• Like 3

A few thoughts on Ipswich/Mark Ashton.

1) I don't doubt he has learnt from some of his mistakes, of which there were no doubt many. I'm sure his experience (read 'failures') here will be of benefit to Ipswich.

2) McKenna and promotion momentum.

3) Waaaay too early make judgements on any team in the league. 2, 3 games without a win and you drop very quickly from the top 6.

4) Hard to know what his exact involvement in transfers at Ipswich is vs. what it was here. Could be much less in terms of player identification for example. Likewise we don't know how much he is 'supervised' or not by his now bosses vs. what SL did here.

5) We don't know what budgets/expectations are at Ipswich. Will a season or 2 in the championship push them towards FFP limits for example with an overloaded squad? Remember it took several years for his mess to unfold here and almost a year after he left for us to fully appreciate the full picture/shit show of his time here. 

We know the Ipswich fans love him, TBF he has seemingly delivered, so far. But don't forget, he was always loud and proud when things were good here, less so when it got tough....