IGNORED

The Office (UK): Ipswich Town edition

LondonBristolian

We laugh but some of the code for that website was lifted directly form Mark Ashton's Genome.Your mouse cursor turns into a little cigar toting, smug bearded icon when you click on anything

It was built with AI, Ashton Intelligence.

Edited by Gazred

I was about to listen to it but… I don’t know if I can cope with him!

I like Price of Football - and I know as they always say it’s not a football podcast, it’s a finance podcast - but at times there seems to be some massive knowledge gaps in the lower league analysis. 
I feel like Ashton will get away with too much self promotion…

Edited by t_b
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

I've not listened to it yet but an interview that the Price of Football podcast have done with him has been released today. Will be interesting to hear his opinions!

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-8mgfh-193dcddc?utm_campaign=w_share_ep&utm_medium=dlink&utm_source=w_share

Running a football club is like making love to a beautiful woman.................

• Like 1

Listened earlier.

He of course talks well.  Would’ve been interesting to hear KM ask him detailed financial questions, but I guess he’s not gonna do an interview on that basis.  Also commercially sensitive too.

If you don’t go into that detail and just listen to his lingo, you’ll be impressed.  It’s Ashton in his element.

The facts are two-fold:

1. on the pitch - they’ve progressed, now promoted
  2. off the pitch - how are the finances impacted by the progress (assumes progress), they spent a lot achieving objective one

Most fans only care about 1.

Or at least only care about 2. When 1. isn’t going well, and then ask why you can’t buy your way out of a mess.

As a neutral it’s a good listen.

• Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Listened earlier.

He of course talks well.  Would’ve been interesting to hear KM ask him detailed financial questions, but I guess he’s not gonna do an interview on that basis.  Also commercially sensitive too.

If you don’t go into that detail and just listen to his lingo, you’ll be impressed.  It’s Ashton in his element.

The facts are two-fold:

1. on the pitch - they’ve progressed, now promoted
  2. off the pitch - how are the finances impacted by the progress (assumes progress), they spent a lot achieving objective one

Most fans only care about 1.

Or at least only care about 2. When 1. isn’t going well, and then ask why you can’t buy your way out of a mess.

As a neutral it’s a good listen.

They also have the biggest number who use ifollow in the Efl. I had to Google ifollow, not a major claim then ?

I also did wonder if the dig at owners getting involved was aimed at SL?

Edited by exAtyeoMax

1 minute ago, exAtyeoMax said:

They also have the biggest number who use ifollow in the Efl. I had to Google ifollow, not a major claim then ?

Think I saw somewhere that their iFollow tv money was circa £900k in 21/22, probably increased last season.

Revenue - it’s ok saying £4m in Shirts, but we all know that’s not profit, and profit margins in shirt sales is small, so it’s nice “Willy-waving” to quote numbers like that.  It’s a shame he never balances it against Wages going up by £3.1m or Agent fees of £900k.  That’s the salesman in him.

Or even a simple losses grew (doubled) by £6.25m (to £12.64m) in his first year there.

• Like 3

On 28/06/2023 at 18:56, Ghost Rider said:

I’m finding this obsession with MA a bit weird now to be honest. Is anyone else? 

Not really, look at all of the FFP problems we've had to deal with over the last few seasons. It nearly cost us a points penalty it was that bad. This charlatan was nowhere to be seen why things started to turn badly. He upsticks and found another revenue stream. He's now using the same blueprint at another club. We warned them enough times and pointed out to them the questions to be asking but while things are still rosy they'll turn a blind eye to his out of control spending. The interest is seeing how its all developing into another swiss tony maelstrom.

Fevs and others that are far more in the know than me have all of the information and can see right through him. That is why there is still the interest in him.

• Like 16

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Think I saw somewhere that their iFollow tv money was circa £900k in 21/22, probably increased last season.

Revenue - it’s ok saying £4m in Shirts, but we all know that’s not profit, and profit margins in shirt sales is small, so it’s nice “Willy-waving” to quote numbers like that.  It’s a shame he never balances it against Wages going up by £3.1m or Agent fees of £900k.  That’s the salesman in him.

Or even a simple losses grew (doubled) by £6.25m (to £12.64m) in his first year there.

he also said that they would be bringing their TV in-house, building studio etc. Town TV or something, he called it

5 hours ago, petehinton said:

They are very much shooting for the top table signings…..and probably won’t get them. Think they’re beginning to realise they aren’t the big boys anymore.  

Also (at the risk of repeating myself) they have been out of the division for a while & really don’t get yet just how competitive it is.

Leicester, Leeds, Southampton, Norwich & Watford for example will all have far more money to spend than them.

This is not the season for speculating wildly, last year was, but they were playing jokers like Rovers then.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, frenchred said:

Thought he spoke a lot of sense.

Of course.  That’s his way…push the things that have gone well, never talk about the things that haven’t.  That’s the corporate world he operates in.

He is a good football administrator.  The main issue I have is the way he got too involved in recruitment (both in and out) whilst here. Small network of agents, a flawed plan because he didn’t recognise where his initial sales came from (others recruitment / academy), and reflect that in his current set of players, and adapt the plan.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The main issue I have is the way he got too involved in recruitment (both in and out)

This is the crux of the matter. Why on earth would you put a CEO in charge of recruitment? After all you wouldn't put the Head Coach in charge of the day to day administration of the club.

As a parallel take Ed Woodward at Man Utd who signed lots of players only to make the team worse. Van Gaal said he wasn't given the players he wanted but ones chosen by Woodward. An inevitable result of an amateur doing a professional's job.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

This is the crux of the matter. Why on earth would you put a CEO in charge of recruitment? After all you wouldn't put the Head Coach in charge of the day to day administration of the club.

As a parallel take Ed Woodward at Man Utd who signed lots of players only to make the team worse. Van Gaal said he wasn't given the players he wanted but ones chosen by Woodward. An inevitable result of an amateur doing a professional's job.

Yep, and there is a huge difference in a CEO doing the financial and contractual processes of incomings and outgoings (which is fine), than involving himself with Talent ID and / or deciding when to move players on to influence his bonus.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Found it very telling the only 3 members of staff he ear marked by name were his 3 amigos, Probert, Rolls and not least his brother in law Werhurn ‘head of contracts’…..

”and allllll the rest of the staff”

Andy Costin just left….the story was that the bloke had no clue whilst here, having self-promoted himself at his previous club.

in fairness the Probert, he was here long before Ashton, and a good career move for him to go to Ipswich.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Andy Costin just left….the story was that the bloke had no clue whilst here, having self-promoted himself at his previous club.

in fairness the Probert, he was here long before Ashton, and a good career move for him to go to Ipswich.

Wasn’t he the PE teacher?

• Like 1