IGNORED

Anybody remember Fred Ford?

On 22/08/2021 at 09:49, red colin said:

My first city boss too. Grew up overlooking Muller Rd rec and Brian Clark trained the local amateur teams and let me join in which was awesome at 6 or 7 years old. Hence city supporter not gas as everyone else in school was  .Had the pleasure of playing against my hero Chris crowe when he dropped into local football. Bobby Kellard was small but legs like tree trunks and had a shot on him .

Same here first city manager although a long time ago thought Bobby kellard was brought in to replace johnny Quigley both class midfielders  cant remember them playing together allthough  i wish they had .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, archie andrews said:

Didnt he manage oxford early 80s?..

Think it could have been Swindon - but earlier. Might have lived in Oxford though as I have a very hazy memory of visiting his house … Kidlington rings a bell.

I might well be wrong though as I seemed to spend most of my youth on a mission in other people’s house/flats  …. normally associated with the pursuit of free alcohol. 

On 10/12/2022 at 15:47, Robbored said:

Just refreshed my memory of Fred Ford by looking him up on Wiki. He only managed three clubs, City, Gas and Swindon and died aged only 65…………that’s younger than me………:ermm:

I wonder what his cause of death was?…………:dunno:

Unfortunately he died of cancer. Neither a smoker or a drinker and incredibly active his whole life…

• Thanks 1

Really interesting thread for us oldies.

In addition to reminding us all of Fred Ford, delighted to see references to Quigley and Crowe.

Remember seeing Crowe in aCup Tie at .Spurs .  One of his first matches in a City shirt.

The most cultured forward I’ve seen play for City, and I am a huge fan of our one great player since Fatty Wedlock, the great John Atyeo.

3 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

In addition to reminding us all of Fred Ford, delighted to see references to Quigley and Crowe.

Remember seeing Crowe in aCup Tie at .Spurs .  One of his first matches in a City shirt.

The most cultured forward I’ve seen play for City, and I am a huge fan of our one great player since Fatty Wedlock, the great John Atyeo.

Did you ever see fatty wedlock in action ive?.... 

• Haha 1

On 22/08/2021 at 18:23, cidered abroad said:

I was there and the sound as he collided with the ringside seats was horrible. He had been trying all night to send Crowe half way up the Enclosure terracing.

Bad injury, would not normally wish it on anyone but in this case, the "biter got well and truly bitten".

I was there. Horrible player was Monroe. As far as I was concerned he had it coming. 

16 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

I was at that game at white hart Lane. Crowe missed a penalty that day at 1 down. Tony Ford who had previously scored about 17 pens on the trot missed and it had to be retaken. Chris stepped up and blasted wide. 
A bit later Greaves scored a pen to make it 2-0. 

On 23/08/2021 at 21:50, gavlin said:

Fred Ford was manager 1960 to 1967. 
Took them up to Division 2 ( championship now ) in 1965 with a 2-0 win over Oldham my second home game . Then had a chance to take them to League 1 with City in the promotion mix but they lost to Southampton, another promotion challenger over Easter , first clash of fans in the East End that day, Finished there promotion push. 
Unlucky for Ford,  Ayteo retired and left a hole that they didn’t fill and struggled for goals . Struggled the following season and Ford got the sack.

It was Dicks who took over in 1967 a struggling side and for the next four or five seasons, battling relegation was the norm . 
The first side I saw was Gibson, Drury, Ford, Crowe, Parr, Bartley, Savino, Rogers , Clark, Atyeo, Derrick 

No left back?

3 hours ago, aa_bcfc said:

I was at that game at white hart Lane. Crowe missed a penalty that day at 1 down. Tony Ford who had previously scored about 17 pens on the trot missed and it had to be retaken. Chris stepped up and blasted wide. 

Afterwards though, Spurs fans were asking if we could leave Mike Gibson behind as he had such a good game in goal that day.

5 hours ago, aa_bcfc said:

Not quite, he missed one the game before (home to Hull) .