IGNORED

Anybody remember Fred Ford?

33 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

They were very interested in signing Jantzen as replacement for an elderly Cliff Jones.

If he could have been consistent he would have been a top flight player. Unfortunately, it was a few great games followed by a few anonymous games repeated over and over again 

21 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

If he could have been consistent he would have been a top flight player. Unfortunately, it was a few great games followed by a few anonymous games repeated over and over again 

But still a more skilful player than Djiekanowski, a player so often looked at through rose tinted spectacles by City fans who in reality had many more average games than great ones. 

• Like 3

My name is Steve Richards and I am a Bristol Rovers supporter. My best friend @ primary school was Michael Ford and at that time the family lived on Stapleton Road. Both Mike and I then attended the same grammar school and he then moved to a semi in West Town Lane. I spent alot of time  staying at the house with Michael; Peter ; Martin and Fred and his wife (Ionly knew her as Mrs. Ford). Those were the days when Mrs.Ford washed and ironed the City football kit. Sometimes Fred would say to me and Mike, I'm going to watch a football match in Portsmouth, fancy a drive down? Mike went to University in London and I went to Art College in South Wales. Haven't seen him since late '60s. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Stephen Richards said:

My name is Steve Richards and I am a Bristol Rovers supporter. My best friend @ primary school was Michael Ford and at that time the family lived on Stapleton Road. Both Mike and I then attended the same grammar school and he then moved to a semi in West Town Lane. I spent alot of time  staying at the house with Michael; Peter ; Martin and Fred and his wife (Ionly knew her as Mrs. Ford). Those were the days when Mrs.Ford washed and ironed the City football kit. Sometimes Fred would say to me and Mike, I'm going to watch a football match in Portsmouth, fancy a drive down? Mike went to University in London and I went to Art College in South Wales. Haven't seen him since late '60s. 

I remember when Fred lived on WTL, I lived round the corner in Kew Walk.

Fred and his wife were friends of my mum and dad. I was keen to be a professional footballer then. I was around 12 and Fred use to watch me playing with some friends. He told me if i wanted a trail at City, i should practise by kicking a tennis ball againist the wall and learn to control it. Never had that trail, but did with some other clubs, but never made it.

• Like 1

IMG_0802.thumb.jpeg.663f2cb31a353e77f9303f75548e33e7.jpeg

Here’s a picture from a programme of that era. If you are ever in the South Devon area, happy to give you the programme.

Give my regards to Martin, tell him I’m still in contact with a few of the ‘mob’. Bristol Poly Planning Department was never going to be the same after we left. Probably still paying for the damage caused by our year to various establishments in Sheffield (who left the tap on?), the Lake District (the North vs South battle in the hotel lounge) and - what on earth were our lecturers were thinking - the Hotel Cok, Amsterdam (sheets and toilet rolls decorating nearby trees and what did happen to ALL their courtesy pennants and trophies?). 

From my recollection, Martin was part-responsible for elevating our qualification to BA level. So thank him for that, good chap. He also played a hand in my 40 yard chip goal in a college league game at St Mathias which still ranks in my top 10 goals scored (and on which Beckham subsequently based his goal on). 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

16 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Fred and his wife were friends of my mum and dad. I was keen to be a professional footballer then. I was around 12 and Fred use to watch me playing with some friends. He told me if i wanted a trail at City, i should practise by kicking a tennis ball againist the wall and learn to control it. Never had that trail, but did with some other clubs, but never made it.

My dad knew Fred and said he was a very nice man off the pitch, but quite a stern one in training. He brooked no nonsense. 

• Like 1

On 21/08/2021 at 13:09, ontariored said:

Has anything really changed, 60 years later? ?

Anyone who doesn’t think things haven’t changed we’re not going to Ashton gate in the late 60s

On 22/08/2021 at 12:26, cidered abroad said:

Yet the first thirty years of watching City there were only four.

Pat Beasley, Doherty, Ford and Dicks

Yes I hope Pearson gets/wants a New contract soon. 

23 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Anyone who doesn’t think things haven’t changed we’re not going to Ashton gate in the late 60s

Yes I hope Pearson gets/wants a New contract soon. 

More to the point, he deserves one. Whether he wants to continue or not is an entirely different matter.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RedRock said:

Here’s a picture from a programme of that era. If you are ever in the South Devon area, happy to give you the programme.

Give my regards to Martin, tell him I’m still in contact with a few of the ‘mob’. Bristol Poly Planning Department was never going to be the same after we left. Probably still paying for the damage caused by our year to various establishments in Sheffield (who left the tap on?), the Lake District (the North vs South battle in the hotel lounge) and - what on earth were our lecturers were thinking - the Hotel Cok, Amsterdam (sheets and toilet rolls decorating nearby trees and what did happen to ALL their courtesy pennants and trophies?). 

From my recollection, Martin was part-responsible for elevating our qualification to BA level. So thank him for that, good chap. He also played a hand in my 40 yard chip goal in a college league game at St Mathias which still ranks in my top 10 goals scored (and on which Beckham subsequently based his goal on). 

Why at my age can I name every player in that picture without looking at the bottom of the photo, but can’t remember where I left my phone?

Some very decent players there.

Takes me back. Fred Ford was the manager when as a youngster I first started supporting City in 1967. I used to cut out the old black-and-white photographs from the Evening Post, stick them in my scrapbook and then hang around the players/directors entrance after the match to get autographs.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Countryfile said:

Why at my age can I name every player in that picture without looking at the bottom of the photo, but can’t remember where I left my phone?

Some very decent players there.

Yes, did exactly the same, always could in that era. Is it me or do all the players nowadays look the same, similar haircuts etc. (BTW, I'm NOT being racist).

19 hours ago, RedRock said:

I hated that kit. It was all red with white numbers on the back being the only contrast. It made my eyes hurt just looking at it. That said, Les Bardsley looks very smart in his white cricket umpire’s coat