IGNORED

Lansdown should be embarrassed and ashamed

dREDful

31 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

What? We are 10 points clear of the relegation zone, and Ipswich are 9th in League 1. Stop with the sensationalist headlines

I hope it is sensationalist headlines but how do you see it possible to turn this squad around. Unfortunately Pearson seems unable to do it. And with no funds how is it going to improve.

I actually have a great deal of sympathy for Mr Lansdown, he runs an enormously successful business, which has made him a very rich man.  Unfortunately he is/was under the impression that if you excel in one aspect of your life, it naturally follows that that success can be replicated in another sphere.  But, and it is a Big but, he has knowledge and ability aplenty in his chosen field of finance, but is naive and misguided in the world of professional sport.

His ego has intervened, and his mistaken assumption that success in business naturally equates to success in a completely different field, has led to numerous mistakes over quite a number of years.  If only he had taken advice from experts who excelled in THEIR chosen profession, namely the big bad world of professional football, and had left his ego aside?   Then perhaps the current mess we find ourselves in could so easily have been avoided?

All that money and all that time, and for what? An ailing, under achieving   football team, that if given the right direction and recruitment, could so easily be riding high in the upper echelons of the sport, given the huge funds that have been pumped into the club  ............if only, if only...............                

Mark Ashton, really?  Do you recruit in an equivalent manner in your financial business? I don't think so?   So yes i do feel sorry for SL, because he meant well, and has given us a wonderful infrastructure, it's just a shame about the team?

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Or you can ask Brighton, Stoke,Bradford ,hull,Oldham, Barnsley,Swansea ,Swindon ,Ipswich,charlton,Wigan ,Blackburn and reading .

whilst some of them are in a lower league than us atm they have all had more success than us and will probably be at the same level as us before we ever do anything worthy of talking about .

This is it…. Our standing still for decades is just so dull. At least those clubs are, or have been, on a journey. Assuming history repeats itself we will be back a the third level before long having never really threatened to leave the division through promotion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jj77 said:

He spends crumbs on the club compared to his wealth. Lets not pretend he does more than any other billionaire owner (Mike Ashley excused)

Wouldn't agree with that. Compared to most owners at this level is net spend is very substantial. I also don't doubt SLs commitment to the club.

The fundamental issue is that basic decisions have been wrong, name at the top of the heirarchy and with regards to all management appointments.

• Like 1

I’m not going to join in with the Lansdown bashing as I think he has done more good than bad, but what does baffle me a little bit is why being an owner of a big investment company he hasn’t brought other investors in?

You’d think he’d have some brilliant contacts who’d be interested in investing in the club

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

I’m not going to join in with the Lansdown bashing as I think he has done more good than bad, but what does baffle me a little bit is why being an ex owner of a big investment company he hasn’t brought other investors in?

You’d think he’d have some brilliant contacts who’d be interested in investing in the club

Fixed that for you,

6 hours ago, maxjak said:

If only he had taken advice from experts who excelled in THEIR chosen profession, namely the big bad world of professional football

To be fair, he eventually realised that's what he should do.

He just ****** up the selection process and settled on the wrong candidate (as per usual) - namely, The Snake. 

No shame in trying, but one play-off place attained in 13 attempts and not one season at the top after two decades is embarrassing. Considering the heap of money thrown at it. And the public statements of some of his trusted lieutenants "we call ourselves a Premier League club in waiting," "other clubs are looking over the wall at what we are doing," and so on.

Indeed, when Mark Ashton's time here is considered, it's humiliated not embarrassed.

• Flames 1

3 hours ago, Show Me The Money! said:

I’m not going to join in with the Lansdown bashing as I think he has done more good than bad, but what does baffle me a little bit is why being an owner of a big investment company he hasn’t brought other investors in?

Because Hargreaves was the brains behind the business, not Lansdown.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

As for thanking him for all he has done, there is an argument to say the investment has been ploughed into the wrong things and has ended up stifling us as the likes of Bournemouth, Brentford, Swansea, et al just stream by us.

I actually do not like Ashton Gate that much anymore. I do for a corporate or a business event, but not as a football ground. Lost all its edge.

I would, in a heartbeat, swap a night on the old East End, staring down across pitch into a rainy abyss of the open end, with no sports-bar, club shop, heineken lounges etc… just to have a team and a club that entertained and connected with the fans.

Actually jealous of Coventry, Blackpool and Luton at the moment.

Shows how much we have stagnated.

Depends when and do have some sympathy with that post but pre FFP, 2008 January especially would have been the time...

Bournemouth- outright cheated at a time where there was little downside risk. Brentford and Swansea had their unique models that served them/are serving them in Brentford's case very nicely.

Yes, atmosphere has a lot of the time, gone post redevelopment but sadly we have to chase as many revenue streams as possible to try and pour back into the club/side.

3rd bit- those 3 have passed us back up now, but horrible lows not that long ago. Interesting to see how they maintain it or don't but all credit to them.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

To be fair, he eventually realised that's what he should do.

He just ****** up the selection process and settled on the wrong candidate (as per usual) - namely, The Snake. 

It only took him over a decade to work that out then still got it wrong

• Like 1

The problem for me is not the amount that SL should or should not be putting into the club. It’s been the structuring and decision making of the Board on the football side.

As with most things on here, it is mainly pure speculation what goes on at the top table of this club. But the evidence of the decision making comes down to what we have experienced as fans/spectators over the years measured against the implicit or explicit marketing/messaging about BCFC ambition - getting to the Premier League. We haven’t done it, and what’s more, but for a few good seasons worth of performances, it’s mostly been mediocre, pretty low on entertainment and excitement with the occasional good performance. Also “the plan” seems to follow the pattern of build up hope, tear down when hasn’t worked, try something/someone else... and repeat.

I think SL, deep down is frustrated and maybe just a tiny bit angry at himself for us being in this position. I must say we are not alone in feeling like this as fans. The fast majority of clubs can moan the same. We can’t all be winners - that’s sport. We have no divine right to win.The frustration for me appears to be a continued repetition of doing the same things with recruitment, policy, team build, etc with the same results whoever the coach or manager.  If this was any other business or organisation, we as customers would have long gone by now and given up on it. But were not just normal customers, we’re fans - maybe fickle a lot of the time - but we find it hard to just walk away. Although I must confess, after 55 seasons of following this club, it’s really beginning to test my patience, not so much the lack of real success, but more the lack of exciting football, let alone “good” football.

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

4 hours ago, Show Me The Money! said:

what does baffle me a little bit is why being an owner of a big investment company he hasn’t brought other investors in?

Because doing that would mean ceding power to others, and he is a control freak. 

That said, he has clearly reached a point, and probably age now, where is willing to take more of a backseat and concede some power for significant investment. It will have to be done on his terms though, and I wonder how attractive that is for prospective investors. 

There was serious interest pre-covid, maybe that will return as (or if) normality resumes... 

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Because doing that would mean ceding power to others, and he is a control freak. 

That said, he has clearly reached a point, and probably age now, where is willing to take more of a backseat and concede some power for significant investment. It will have to be done on his terms though, and I wonder how attractive that is for prospective investors. 

There was serious interest pre-covid, maybe that will return as (or if) normality resumes... 

Did the current US group who are at Ipswich also look at us? 

15 hours ago, bexhill reds said:

Still, Lansdown’s out and some form of dubious source of Russian, Chinese or Saudi money in then eh? Cos that the only places where that level of investment is going to come from….

I'd never set foot in the ground out of principle if our owners/investment came from those places, so bring it on.

1 hour ago, ray savino said:

Although I must confess, after 55 seasons of following this club, it’s really beginning to test my patience, not so much the lack of real success, but more the lack of exciting football, let alone “good” football.

Yes, we are dull. But then, at this level, when are we not pretty drab? We remember AD and 76 to 80 fondly but no football fan anywhere beyond Bristol does (like neutrals might remember say Bobby Robson's Ipswich, or West Brom in the late 70s, for example).

Credit to LJ, we were lively and enjoyable, at this level, for about 4 months (and the odd game either side of the 17/18 season). 90/91 was good, too.

If it's entertainment we want at AG and enjoyable, attacking football, then we'll have to drop back down to L1 (but it's not guaranteed at that level either, mind).

• Like 2

BCFC are set up to be a Championship side not a Prem side. Outside investors can be found but there are reservations over many aspects, not least control, ground ownership (and expansion) or Bristol Sport, plus the loans/debt. If it is put up for sale, there are buyers. Of course, but it depends what you are selling and what the price is. As ever. 

• Like 1

Just need to find another City-supporting, billionaire Bristolian who's keen to throw millions away every year just to stand still. He can't spend any money on players now because of FFP but would need to be a billionaire if we ever got to the Premier League. New or old, the owner could chuck millions and millions at the problem in January but it would be very likely we'd be the next Derby County. 

Realistically if a new owner took over tomorrow, what could he (or she!) actually do that SL can't or won't? 

Foreign ownership is a big risk, never mind any possible ethical issues. 

On 03/11/2021 at 09:01, Wiltshire robin said:

He’s oblivious to football matters and whilst us as fans can appreciate the ground re build and the training ground on the pitch I can’t see us progressing past a mid table side under his watch.

I would grab mid table ATM because I fear it will get worse? 

Edited by bpexile
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Psychopomp said:

BCFC are set up to be a Championship side not a Prem side. Outside investors can be found but there are reservations over many aspects, not least control, ground ownership (and expansion) or Bristol Sport, plus the loans/debt. If it is put up for sale, there are buyers. Of course, but it depends what you are selling and what the price is. As ever. 

Ground ownership and BS are major hurdles to bringing in new investment.  A position that has been obvious for years, and commented upon by some of us for the same period of time; and still some see SL as a hero.  Unbelievable, Jeff.

33 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

SL dropped hugely in my esteem after the infamous RB interview when he basically told the fans to shut the **** up because it was his money and his club. 

That’s true and SL is in a position to say what he likes. I know for a fact that he’s always thought that.

• Like 1

On 02/11/2021 at 22:02, ashton_fan said:

Not much, most of it went on the stadium and I don't hear anyone complaining about that. The trouble is we don't get enough income to pay Championship wages, that's why SL has to subsidise the club every season.

Going to have one of the best stadiums in first division, and crowds of how many?

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

SL dropped hugely in my esteem after the infamous RB interview when he basically told the fans to shut the **** up because it was his money and his club. 

Agreed, me too.
Lansdown has manoeuvred himself into a win/win as whoever buys him out (if anyone does), will get his millions back with profit. The Bristol Sport concept protects his investment. Bristol City football club is just part of the bigger picture as far as Bristol Sport goes. Mind you, if you were SL, you would do the same as he is going to have to find another £30million+ soon I would imagine due to COVID and loss of £ income?

43 minutes ago, Tin Soldier said:

Agreed, me too.
Lansdown has manoeuvred himself into a win/win as whoever buys him out (if anyone does), will get his millions back with profit. The Bristol Sport concept protects his investment. Bristol City football club is just part of the bigger picture as far as Bristol Sport goes. Mind you, if you were SL, you would do the same as he is going to have to find another £30million+ soon I would imagine due to COVID and loss of £ income?

So you think if he sold Bristol City now he'd get over 150m quid? 

3 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Surely any buyer would have to buy the whole lot, football/rugby/kabbadi etc, otherwise things could get quite complicated?

I'd like to think part of the idea behind that is to make us more attractive to outside investment. It would rule out chancers like the guy at Rovers, and only really interest groups with serious money behind them.

Owning an entire sports franchise could be quite appealing to a large US consortium for example. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I'd like to think part of the idea behind that is to make us more attractive to outside investment. It would rule out chancers like the guy at Rovers, and only really interest groups with serious money behind them.

Owning an entire sports franchise could be quite appealing to a large US consortium for example. 

That is a good point that I never really considered. The only thing is I’m not sure how many serious wealthy investors that also could put off?

Obviously it depends on the individual but yes, I’m sure a package of different clubs that appeal to a large proportion of sports fans in a big City all cantered in one place could be attractive to the right kind of investor.

1 hour ago, Tin Soldier said:

Agreed, me too.

I don't think it'd be win/win for him getting his money back or even profit at all personally.

People like him (billionaires) are proud, and have more money than they know what to do with. Imo as they get older they usually move on to satisfying their ego (aka dick waving).

I don't think they buy clubs because they want to make money, it's because they want to be able to say they own a premiership club or whatever when they're brushing shoulders with other people in their social class at some wanky dinner or whatever. Same as the ones who own an F1 team, or the largest yachts in the world, fire one of their cars towards mars, take a space flight, eradicate a disease... whatever.

If Lansdown sells up (and he may well do) after 25 years with us still scrubbing around in the champ/L1 and £150m spent with his name on a stand it'll be a massive bruise to his ego imo. It's a very public failure for someone who isn't used to failing in his life.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I don't think it'd be win/win for him getting his money back or even profit at all personally.

People like him (billionaires) are proud, and have more money than they know what to do with. Imo as they get older they usually move on to satisfying their ego (aka dick waving).

I don't think they buy clubs because they want to make money, it's because they want to be able to say they own a premiership club or whatever when they're brushing shoulders with other people in their social class at some wanky dinner or whatever. Same as the ones who own an F1 team, or the largest yachts in the world, fire one of their cars towards mars, take a space flight, eradicate a disease... whatever.

If Lansdown sells up (and he may well do) after 25 years with us still scrubbing around in the champ/L1 and £150m spent with his name on a stand it'll be a massive bruise to his ego imo. It's a very public failure for someone who isn't used to failing in his life.

My view is that Steve wants to leave a bit of a legacy, i.e. here’s what I did for Bristol, which is fine.  Might be a bit of a guilt trip re Guernsey tax situation….speculation?

I think with all the housing / flats stuff, he will make back what he’s invested on football, sport, etc.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My view is that Steve wants to leave a bit of a legacy, i.e. here’s what I did for Bristol, which is fine.  Might be a bit of a guilt trip re Guernsey tax situation….speculation?

I think with all the housing / flats stuff, he will make back what he’s invested on football, sport, etc.

I agree, same as (on a bigger scale) Bezos with his space flight, Gates with malaria, Musk with going to Mars, and so on.

He'll make it back, but I don't think that's why he did it. If he could have a legacy and lose money in the process, he'd take that in a shot over a failed legacy but topping up his bank balance even more.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Psychopomp said:

The infrastructure is definitely Premier league ready, the rest of it not so much. 

He almost certainly wants a legacy - he wants to be remembered fondly far and wide long after he has passed.

At the moment his legacy is going to be for HL so not exactly far and wide and no one in investment banking gets remembered fondly by the general public. While he has a fairly good reputation with fans for his role in funding the stadium redevelopment and training ground, at the moment City is probably a stain on his legacy as the stated goal is prem football, the stadium and training ground are infrastructure to support that not "that" in itself - having his name on the big stand that's not in the prem is a bit like having a personalised numberplate on a 1990s ford Mondeo when your trying to present a Lamborghini image.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I agree, same as (on a bigger scale) Bezos with his space flight, Gates with malaria, Musk with going to Mars, and so on.

He'll make it back, but I don't think that's why he did it. If he could have a legacy and lose money in the process, he'd take that in a shot over a failed legacy but topping up his bank balance even more.

I'm fairly sure if someone could guarantee Bristol city could replicate Man U success in the 90s but he had to spent a billion on it he wouldn't think twice about the money.

19 minutes ago, Pezo said:

He almost certainly wants a legacy - he wants to be remembered fondly far and wide long after he has passed.

At the moment his legacy is going to be for HL so not exactly far and wide and no one in investment banking gets remembered fondly by the general public. While he has a fairly good reputation with fans for his role in funding the stadium redevelopment and training ground, at the moment City is probably a stain on his legacy as the stated goal is prem football, the stadium and training ground are infrastructure to support that not "that" in itself - having his name on the big stand that's not in the prem is a bit like having a personalised numberplate on a 1990s ford Mondeo when your trying to present a Lamborghini image.

Yes, his "legacy" at City will mostly be remembered in bricks and mortar at the moment. 

He's been one of the wealthiest owners in English football (top 15) throughout his time in charge at City, yet only the following has been delivered:

1) Football League Trophy winners 2003

2) Third division runners-up 2007

3) Second division play-off finalists 2008

4) Third division champions and Football League Trophy winners 2015*

5) League Cup semi-finalists 2018

And that's it. 

The * is there because the manager that delivered those two pieces of silverware was not even SL's choice. The FL Trophy win in 2003 was delivered by Wilson, who was already at the club when SL took over.

So really we are down to SL's football achievements at City being a couple of years under Gary Johnson and a League Cup win over Man United. In 20 years. With £100m+ spent on the playing side. 

Sad to say, but it's appalling underachievement.

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes, his "legacy" at City will mostly be remembered in bricks and mortar at the moment. 

He's been one of the wealthiest owners in English football (top 15) throughout his time in charge at City, yet only the following has been delivered:

1) Football League Trophy winners 2003

2) Third division runners-up 2007

3) Second division play-off finalists 2008

4) Third division champions and Football League Trophy winners 2015*

5) League Cup semi-finalists 2018

And that's it. 

The * is there because the manager that delivered those two pieces of silverware was not even SL's choice. The FL Trophy win in 2003 was delivered by Wilson, who was already at the club when SL took over.

So really we are down to SL's football achievements at City being a couple of years under Gary Johnson and a League Cup win over Man United. In 20 years. With £100m+ spent on the playing side. 

Sad to say, but it's appalling underachievement.

Think Cotts would disagree with this.....

3 hours ago, the1stknowle said:

So you think if he sold Bristol City now he'd get over 150m quid? 

With property investments, sporting/image rights, etc, he will probably get his money back.
But can’t see him achieving that currently due to COVID etc. The financial impact of COVID etc is gonna cost him a few more millions soon.
Also if his rumoured “control freak” approach to biz is right, then he is going to struggle to find a willing investor in the current climate. Think avoiding relegation will be paramount as his asset worth will drop if we get relegated.

7 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Why not everyone from those countries are bad people. If there is evidence of foul play then I understand but could end up with a gem like Leicester did .

We aren't talking about the general population though. To obtain real wealth in Russia, China or Saudi Arabia, almost certainly means a direct connection to a corrupt and/or authoritarian, human rights abusing regime. Maybe some Russian money might be legitimate. Regarding your Leicester comment - that investment came from Thailand.

Why worry anyway, I'm welcoming this investment to free up my Saturday's :)

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

We aren't talking about the general population though. To obtain real wealth in Russia, China or Saudi Arabia, almost certainly means a direct connection to a corrupt and/or authoritarian, human rights abusing regime. Maybe some Russian money might be legitimate. Regarding your Leicester comment - that investment came from Thailand.

Why worry anyway, I'm welcoming this investment to free up my Saturday's :)

Yeh I understand and completely agree about the human rights connections your bringing up .

It blows my mind how companies like sky push for equality yet have absolutely nothing to say about the new Newcastle owners .

All sky seem to be doing is bigging them up but then I guess it’s exactly the same as the World Cup next year, estimated 6500 deaths is vile . I would honestly be in support of England boycotting.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes, mate. Link below:

www.robboredisacock.com

Uncertainty due to pandemic, apparently... 

**** me I haven’t burst out laughing at something written on this forum like I did in a long time ? call me juvenile I couldn’t care less that was 10/10

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

It blows my mind how companies like sky push for equality yet have absolutely nothing to say about the new Newcastle owners .

It's all virtue signalling and window dressing, they don't really care about equality they just don't want to be accused of being discriminatory. That subject needs wider debate because everything is discriminatory - picking the best candidate for a job, picking which jobs to apply for, choosing sexual partners, picking an ice cream.

If they speak out about China or Russia then those countries just stop them from being able to sell there and as they are multi billion dollar markets and there ability to be able to pay for the next premier league contact hinges on how much money they can make they aren't going to speak out because it will cost them there job and reputation.

And there is the truth, they care about social issues as long as it is limited to internal policy they can inflict upon staff and never at the expense of the execs jobs.

• Like 1

On 04/11/2021 at 10:29, Steve Watts said:

You're absolutely right....3 points off relegation is very much at risk.  But we're not 3 points off relegation.  We're 8 points off.  9 when Reading get their 9 point deduction soon.

Not sure what you mean mate? We were talking about 2016 or whenever it was.

On 04/11/2021 at 11:05, Galley is our king said:

I think actually YOU should be ashamed!

If he walks away now I wouldn't blame him and it would be ****'s like you who would be responsible.

Chill out you cuck. If if happened I don't expect a thank you. 

• Like 1

On 04/11/2021 at 11:05, Galley is our king said:

I think actually YOU should be ashamed!

If he walks away now I wouldn't blame him and it would be ****'s like you who would be responsible.

What are we getting under Lansdown's leadership then? He stands the debts, you can't argue with that, and he builds nice facilities. However we are a FOOTBALL CLUB and I've barely seen a proper, decent game of football at Ashton Gate in three years. People like you might walk out after the win last week and convince yourself we played well and all is rosy in the garden but I walked out knowing I had just watched another 90 minutes of turd, YET AGAIN and that we would get walloped Tuesday and Saturday (we didn't get walloped yesterday but if anything it was even more embarrassing than getting walloped by 11 men).

How long do people have to wait before they can walk into Ashton Gate on a semi-regular basis and enjoy a game of football? Another 3 years? We have to be grateful to Steve's leadership for that do we? If he ***** off he ***** off as far as I'm concerned and you can hold me responsible all you like.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

What are we getting under Lansdown's leadership then? He stands the debts, you can't argue with that, and he builds nice facilities. However we are a FOOTBALL CLUB and I've barely seen a proper, decent game of football at Ashton Gate in three years. People like you might walk out after the win last week and convince yourself we played well and all is rosy in the garden but I walked out knowing I had just watched another 90 minutes of turd, YET AGAIN and that we would get walloped Tuesday and Saturday (we didn't get walloped yesterday but if anything it was even more embarrassing than getting walloped by 11 men).

How long do people have to wait before they can walk into Ashton Gate on a semi-regular basis and enjoy a game of football? Another 3 years? We have to be grateful to Steve's leadership for that do we? If he ***** off he ***** off as far as I'm concerned and you can hold me responsible all you like.

I'm not quite so angry this morning, but you have hit the nail on the head. It's supposed to be about watching entertaining football, not an excruciating loyalty test. I'll be back at the Gate when I think there is a chance of seeing skilled players competing in a well organised and ambitious Bristol City team. As you say, not seen that in a long while. I'm taking a break.

• Like 1

Just now, Red Exile said:

I'm not quite so angry this morning, but you have hit the nail on the head. It's supposed to be about watching entertaining football, not an excruciating loyalty test. I'll be back at the Gate when I think there is a chance of seeing skilled players competing in a well organised and ambitious Bristol City team. As you say, not seen that in a long while. I'm taking a break.

I have had a season ticket since I stopped playing football around 15-16 years ago but my patience and loyalty are being severely tested now. If my elderly uncle who comes to the Gate for the social more than anything wants to carry on then so will I. If he knocks it on the head I will be seriously thinking about groundhopping from next season. The football is so bad that I just won't miss it. Like others I just stayed in my seat when we equalised last week because I was so bloody disappointed in the 40 minutes that preceeded it - I had no enthusiasm whatsoever and that can't be right. I don't blame Nigel Pearson for that because I know what a shambles he has inherited and also this has been going on for years. Grateful to our Owner for the current state of affairs - **** that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

I have had a season ticket since I stopped playing football around 15-16 years ago but my patience and loyalty are being severely tested now. If my elderly uncle who comes to the Gate for the social more than anything wants to carry on then so will I. If he knocks it on the head I will be seriously thinking about groundhopping from next season. The football is so bad that I just won't miss it. Like others I just stayed in my seat when we equalised last week because I was so bloody disappointed in the 40 minutes that preceeded it - I had no enthusiasm whatsoever and that can't be right. I don't blame Nigel Pearson for that because I know what a shambles he has inherited and also this has been going on for years. Grateful to our Owner for the current state of affairs - **** that.

I took a break for a variety of reasons in the Millen/McInnes/SOD era. Fortunately most of those reasons no longer apply, but the common thread is incompetent management of the club and squads assembled that can barely compete, a total lack of ambition.

Came back with gusto when Cotts got the job...the break did me and my relationship with City a lot of good. I fear we are back in the bad old days.

Just now, Red Exile said:

I took a break for a variety of reasons in the Millen/McInnes/SOD era. Fortunately most of those reasons no longer apply, but the common thread is incompetent management of the club and squads assembled that can barely compete, a total lack of ambition.

Came back with gusto when Cotts got the job...the break did me and my relationship with City a lot of good. I fear we are back in the bad old days.

Agreed. You get the impression that the football side of the operation is wholly dependent upon the Owners latest "whim".

Sadly the entire infrastructure of football in England needs radical reform, which it is unlikely to get.

At our level we are likely to see a severe drop in attendances over the next decade which will of itself necessitate change.

The top league may split into two but whatever happens it will become divorced from the rest of the football pyramid; perhaps even being promotion and relegation restricted to Premier League A and B

Not to worry I am happy down here in Sussex to watch the progress of Worthing led by a young owner and an experienced manager.  Football played without mega bucks at a very acceptable Isthmian League standard, and no car park full of the players’ expensive cars!

• Robin 1