IGNORED

Help Needed - What do we do Next?

15 hours ago, Harry said:

I can’t ever remember Pep, Klopp, Jose etc sitting in the stands with their mate on a laptop. The best managers are prowling the technical area, shouting instructions, giving empathy, attempting to persuade the ref etc. 
Get in the ******* dugout and give your players the support/cajoling/organisation/coaching they need

He got a team promoted on 102 points sat in the stand next to his mate on a laptop. If he has an assistant he trusts, can get messages down and feels he gets a better idea of the game from up in the stand, what’s really the issue?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ostrich said:

He got a team promoted on 102 points sat in the stand next to his mate on a laptop. If he has an assistant he trusts, can get messages down and feels he gets a better idea of the game from up in the stand, what’s really the issue?

Well, currently he hasn’t got the luxury of one of the best squads in the division put together with a lot of money. With 12+ players brought in for more than £1m, given big wages and ended up breaking FFP and having to pay a £3.1m fine. 

Right now he’s in a situation where he’s got a shitshow of a squad in a slump of form with relegation a very real possibility, and he needs to earn his wage by being in the dugout and motivating and organising his team of misfits. 

14 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Or at least make it difficult for teams to beat us, even if we do lose.

This is one of my bug bears, we should be grinding out results .

We are not Liverpool or Man City we are Bristol City with Bristol City level players who need to be at it a hundred per cent to win games but our supporters would not accept the pragmatic approach to success that other ‘ smaller ‘ clubs employ. 
We are football snobs who expect to win in style like we sometimes did in the division below.

Uncle Steve is also guilty of not facing the reality of our place in football. We need to build our club up on solid foundations. Substance over style is needed and badly lacking. 

6 hours ago, Harry said:

Well, currently he hasn’t got the luxury of one of the best squads in the division put together with a lot of money. With 12+ players brought in for more than £1m, given big wages and ended up breaking FFP and having to pay a £3.1m fine. 

Right now he’s in a situation where he’s got a shitshow of a squad in a slump of form with relegation a very real possibility, and he needs to earn his wage by being in the dugout and motivating and organising his team of misfits. 

Oh that'll sort it will it?

• Like 2

On 03/11/2021 at 12:30, Davefevs said:

I’ve said for a good while we have players that press without intelligence.  Some make that doubly worse by not actually engaging, whilst someone like Massengo can do it without discipline.  We lack intensity, we need a few more “George Tanner” tackles.  We need to make our opponents feel uncomfortable.  I suspect a lot of sides accept we might have a “few” moments in the match, but currently they know it’ll peter out and they’ll get more opportunity.

Thats the worrying trend, and as @GrahamCsays above we need to stay in games.

A while ago I posted on here after hearing a post match Nigel Pearson interview, he said during his career, when he came to Ashton Gate as an opposing player or manager, they knew they wouldn’t be in for much of a physical battle or a tough day - he said he’d be addressing that - has anything changed in that regard? 

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

A while ago I posted on here after hearing a post match Nigel Pearson interview, he said during his career, when he came to Ashton Gate as an opposing player or manager, they knew they wouldn’t be in for much of a physical battle or a tough day - he said he’d be addressing that - has anything changed in that regard? 

Yes, up until the last break I thought we were far from a soft touch this season.  The last few weeks have not been anywhere near that though.

55 minutes ago, Ostrich said:

Oh that'll sort it will it?

Well, as I said earlier, he’s arrived here as an organiser and motivator and he’s got a bunch of no-marks attempting to play football. The least he could do is give them some support from the sideline. 
Lee Johnson used to do it all the time - he’d always be In Elliason’s ear for example, telling him where to be and what to do. Perhaps Nigel could support young George Tanner by coaching him through the game from the side. His reputation on arrival here is one which would suggest that was a strength of his. I don’t care what coaches he’s got attempting to replicate that (and this one ain’t Shakespeare - the only one he’s ever had any modicum of success with), he needs to be down there organising his team.  

20 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

He also said that in the main , if a team is a team , they work it out themselves . But that was a top level player and football intelligence reduces as we drop down . Not our situation . 

That is what Nige is trying to achieve here though. Responsibility and autonomy for the 11 players on the pitch. Another of our former managers preached about this a lot... Sean O'Driscoll. 

Both SOD and Nige had success in the Championship using this approach, but presumably they had teams with a higher playing IQ. 

I think it's absolutely the right approach. The team should be able to work as a unit and make decisions without someone barking orders which they can barely hear from the touchline.

It takes time to implement though. SOD ran out of time, let's hope Nige doesn't. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

That is what Nige is trying to achieve here though. Responsibility and autonomy for the 11 players on the pitch. Another of our former managers preached about this a lot... Sean O'Driscoll. 

Both SOD and Nige had success in the Championship using this approach, but presumably they had teams with a higher playing IQ. 

I think it's absolutely the right approach. The team should be able to work as a unit and make decisions without someone barking orders which they can barely hear from the touchline.

It takes time to implement though. SOD ran out of time, let's hope Nige doesn't. 

Said this so many times in LJ’s reign, where is Player X telling Player Y to just sit in for 5 mins, the opposition have made a change and we are getting over-run, and we need to buy a few minutes to suss out what is going on….and hopefully the manager has spotted it too and can give instruction.  If not we’ll sort it out ourselves.  Do we see players feeding back to the manager what they are seeing.

DNA is “nice”

Football IQ and Leadership is very different.

If I was signing a player I’d be asking them stuff to find this out.  Maybe we do.  Do they understand tactical instruction, and why, etc.

15 hours ago, billywedlock said:

I’m somewhere in the middle on this . I spoke not so long ago to a Premier/International left back/wing back and asked about this . He said it’s a pain in the rear when you are on the side where the coach is . As they cannot talk to the others so the poor full back gets the majority of earful . He liked the big grounds as he could claim not to hear a damn thing .  He also said that in the main , if a team is a team , they work it out themselves . But that was a top level player and football intelligence reduces as we drop down . Not our situation . 

Anyway , I don’thave an issue with him in the stands for the start of a game , more so if we are trying something new . But he’s got to be down there during the main part of a match . There are more breaks in play these days and that is a chance to pass on comment or advice . We clearly need it . Curtis seems ok , but how can we judge . It’s not Shakey down there is it . 

maybe he’s worried about letting his emotions get away from him !!! He has history 

14 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

But as I was trying to point out to Nige’s biggest fan earlier, we don’t currently have the luxury of having a team who can think for themselves. 
Pearson needs to be in the dugout. Earn your money. 

I have a horrible feeling HNM will be sold in January to fund a Striker, Mid x 2 and Defender from the lower leagues.

We'd have to take unders for Han - £7 mil perhaps - and then sit sadly and watch him have a wonderful career in the Prem.

Which he will.

Is he worth more - hell yeah (hopefully good add-ons will be written in) but buyers will know we are in big, big trouble and have to sell to buy.

I honestly have no idea on who we could sign - I don't watch enough lower league games.

But I would hope we can add £3 mil from the kitty @Davefevs - can we with FFP?

Then 10mil to buy us 4 players to keep us up and develop as they get older.

They would have to be 'up and coming' - I'd be furious to lose HNM to sign 4 x 29 / 30 yr old journeymen.

What a state to be in. The neglect shown to the footballing side of Bristol Sport borders on the criminal.  People say SL took his eye off the ball when the Bears started to do well.

No, for me, it was when he finally got his PP for the houses, apartments and hotels which was his goal all along. 

£150 million SL has spent - pocket change to the money flowing in from all those lovely new homes, offices and entertainment facilities. Apartments are what - £500,000 min each at the AG site while 2 beds appts at AV are selling for £275 - 300,000 each.

Do the maths - sell 300 homes / apartments and that's his cash back.  PP is for waaaay more than that. Plus the ongoing rental income from offices etc

Plus the freehold at AG - once our home. ?

Not bad for £150 million.

But then again, as SL once said to my old man - it's all about the land, the football is my hobby, the land is my goal.

And so we find ourselves with an owner who has fufilled his financial aims, getting older, living away, and losing interest in BCFC.  And why wouldn't he. 

He's a businessman - job done - even retired from LH he is currently the 1205th richest person on THE PLANET - let that sink in - ON THE PLANET - with  $2.6 BILLION USD in the kitty 

Just for a laugh I looked up his interests / businesses - he made £4,000,000 YESTERDAY ALONE in investments. 

£4,000,000 in a day. My goodness.

https://www.forbes.com/profile/stephen-lansdown/?sh=20e936eb50b0

The Bears are winning with little hassle, the Flyers are just an excuse to build a multi-purpose indoor venue (PP made easy), and the employment he creates means the council eventually gives him what he wants to develop to rest of AG and AV.

Why would he then have much interest in a club that has been, frankly a failure all it's existence?

He's almost done with City. Nige is his last shot at giving a go with our club. 

Jan is crucial - this will be the last time SL will dip into his enormous wealth to fund players - and I'm afraid (to tie all this up) that HNM will have to be sold off if NP wants and extra £3-4 mil on top of HNM price.

Stay up and improve performances - SL will go again and will have one last huzzah at the Prem.

Go down, or struggle badly and NP walks - then SL is done with BCFC.

And there are buyers waiting.

Edited by The Constant Rabbit

For sake of an example.  If we sold HNM for £7m, assuming he cost £2.8m, we probably have to give Monaco a percentage of the £4.2m profit too.

I don’t know whether we will announce last season’s accounts before or after the window.  Advantages and disadvantages:

• appear to not have any money to bring players in, try to haggle down
  • be at the mercy of clubs after our players

I think we will be looking at free, small fee signings and the odd loan.

On 03/11/2021 at 11:23, LondonBristolian said:

This season is going to be a struggle and going to be about picking up enough points to stay out of trouble.

I do honestly think that the absence of Williams and Semenyo and the fact that Massengo is perhaps not yet ready to start again is hurting us a great deal and getting those three players back will make a difference. I also wonder if Conway is going to be another option up-front once fit. Those four players plus Baker's return will make us better than we are now.

It's easy to say we should ship out x or y but I think it's a massive misunderstanding of where the market is. I don't think Vyner, Bakinson, O'Dowda, Palmer, Wells or Martin are being sold for cash fees in January and letting them go on a free means we need to replace them for free too, which may not be realistic.

What I would try and do in January - if any budget exists at all- is see if we can get a holding midfielder and maybe a winger with pace, perhaps on loan or a free. It might be we don't get the best players in the world but it might give us a bit of structure and more options in the squad. 

What do you mean?