IGNORED

Press Conference Today...

The Original OTIB

5 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

i have to go back to work shortly so cannot acknowledge any replies until later but what is up with baker this time??,i hope i catch np again up the village, ask him his views on him 

Protocol from the head injury at WBA, must have been a bad one.

• Like 1

What a non-event of a Press  Conference ? ........Nige says we should be shouting from the rooftops about Matty James, as he is the best midfield coach at the club?   And Dan Bentley says we are a young squad (Really?) on a learning curve...Ha!     What a waste of time ,effort, and breath.  Why do they even bother?

8 minutes ago, maxjak said:

What a non-event of a Press  Conference ? ........Nige says we should be shouting from the rooftops about Matty James, as he is the best midfield coach at the club?   And Dan Bentley says we are a young squad (Really?) on a learning curve...Ha!     What a waste of time ,effort, and breath.  Why do they even bother?

The bench at Brum looked like a kindergarten class, dressed in hi-vis jackets, on a trip out from primary school.

• Like 1

i have taken alot of stick on here about wanting a new manager. I know they wont replace him anytime soon. He does not fill me with any hope he will turn this run of bad results around. he never shows any enthusiasm for the job at his press conference 3k fans going to Coventry on sat i prey me and all city fans have something to cheer. if not i fear the support will turn. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I disagree with Nige saying we are inconsistent

If the individuals are inconsistent, which is what he was eluding to after Tuesday night, then although the team itself might be consistently below par, it’s different players each week.  I think that’s what he’s saying.

6 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

i have taken alot of stick on here about wanting a new manager. I know they wont replace him anytime soon. He does not fill me with any hope he will turn this run of bad results around. he never shows any enthusiasm for the job at his press conference 3k fans going to Coventry on sat i prey me and all city fans have something to cheer. if not i fear the support will turn. 

Always Mr negative, bore off. 

• Like 14

20 minutes ago, maxjak said:

we are a young squad (Really?)

We're a squad that has a very young element to it, plus a few 30+, and not too many in the prime ages of 26 - 29. So to an extent yes we are young, despite having James, King, Simpson etc on the books.

We have 7 players 30 or over (Weimann, James, Baker, Wells, Martin, King and Simpson). Interesting that all 3 of our main forward line are 30+.

We have 3 aged 26 - 29 (COD, Bentley and Kalas).

O'Leary is 25.

The rest of the squad is then aged 24 or under, some 13 players.

You can argue about age just being a number, there's a discussion over what exactly constitutes "young", and of course the old adage that if you're good enough you're old enough comes into play.

However, I think it is fair to say that overall we have a "young" squad that is bloated at either end of the age spectrum, with very few in the prime years. It was something I worried about in the summer, too may older and younger players, the older relying on younger bodies, and the younger relying on older minds, but too few that enjoy having both legs and mental fortitude.

@Davefevs, can you perhaps furnish some minutes played data to supplement the above. How many minutes are seeing played by the different age brackets?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

???? 

15 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

Ive tried to tolerate you but i just canny anymore. Onto the block list you go..!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

negative bore off. i assume you mean me :laugh:. Get real the manager is hardly positive is he or is he. i unfortunately was at St Andrews not sure if you were Dynamite red but i have every right to be negative having spent money getting to and watching what was total crap. But if you are happy with what you are watching then thats fine. good on you.

• Like 2

Just now, Hampshire reds said:

negative bore off. i assume you mean me :laugh:. Get real the manager is hardly positive is he or is he. i unfortunately was at St Andrews not sure if you were Dynamite red but i have every right to be negative having spent money getting to and watching what was total crap. But if you are happy with what you are watching then thats fine. good on you.

Another one completely blind to the overall problem . I agree with the poster above . On the ignore list you go. 

12 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

We're a squad that has a very young element to it, plus a few 30+, and not too many in the prime ages of 26 - 29. So to an extent yes we are young, despite having James, King, Simpson etc on the books.

We have 7 players 30 or over (Weimann, James, Baker, Wells, Martin, King and Simpson). Interesting that all 3 of our main forward line are 30+.

O'Leary is 25.

You can argue about age just being a number, there's a discussion over what exactly constitutes "young", and of course the old adage that if you're good enough you're old enough comes into play.

However, I think it is fair to say that overall we have a "young" squad that is bloated at either end of the age spectrum, with very few in the prime years. It was something I worried about in the summer, too may older and younger players, the older relying on younger bodies, and the younger relying on older minds, but too few that enjoy having both legs and mental fortitude.

@Davefevs, can you perhaps furnish some minutes played data to supplement the above. How many minutes are seeing played by the different age brackets?

Very good point. Although the average age works out okay, we actually have very few players in those "peak" years. (Perhaps unsurprising that Bentley and Kalas are quite comfortably our best 2 players over the last couple of seasons?)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

Bit of a typo, think you meant HOPE

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

O'Leary is 25.

According to transfermarket, we have the 10th oldest squad at average age of 26.1 and the 8th oldest starting 11 at 26.7.

The spread of age is, as you've shown, a point of discussion. 7 over 30 but 13 under 24 and how many of those are under 20/21?

41 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

Dear oh dear………..:sleeping:

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Very good point. Although the average age works out okay, we actually have very few players in those "peak" years. (Perhaps unsurprising that Bentley and Kalas are quite comfortably our best 2 players over the last couple of seasons?)

Yep, and I made the point in the summer that we had too few in their prime. Bentley in the press conference says a lot of the young guys are learning on the job. Ok, that's to be admired...but if it's 13 out of 24 doing that then you're inevitably going to see a lot of mistakes, naivety, and struggle. It also puts huge pressure on the other players to effectively teach/coach those young lads through each game, simultaneously trying to do their own jobs as well.

You see it in action when James has to come off v Brum. Bakinson loses his mentor, who is replaced by HNM. Bakinson instantly goes from a midfield partner 7 years his senior, who is a very experienced, ex-Premier League player who understands the manger, to one who is 3 years younger than him and bar a few apps in some dead rubber Champs League games, has not much more experience than himself.

Try doing similar in any job and you're going to get slower, less precise work.

18 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

According to transfermarket, we have the 10th oldest squad at average age of 26.1 and the 8th oldest starting 11 at 26.7.

The spread of age is, as you've shown, a point of discussion. 7 over 30 but 13 under 24 and how many of those are under 20/21?

I think this is a statistical case where the mean average is misleading and the mode is actually more useful. The two most frequent ages in our squad are 23 and 24. We have four players aged 23, and 4 aged 24. We then have 3 aged 30. So although our mean is 26.1, that is being dragged up by Martin, King, and Simpson. In effect the most likely age of any of our players, is 23.5 - which is young.

In answer to the other point, again using transfermarkt - Tanner and Semenyo are 21, HNM 20, Wiles-Richards is 19, and Scott is 18. Benarous and Bell were on the bench v Brum, but aren't officially first team squad members. Benarous is 18, Bell is 19.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Hampshire reds said:

In the unlikely event you have one, maybe you could take your bird with you…

then again, if you DO have one, she may not want to spend the afternoon with such a moany bustard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I think this is a statistical case where the mean average is misleading and the mode is actually more useful. The two most frequent ages in our squad are 23 and 24. We have four players aged 23, and 4 aged 24. We then have 3 aged 30. So although our mean is 26.1, that is being dragged up by Martin, King, and Simpson. In effect the most likely age of any of our players, is 23.5 - which is young.

In answer to the other point, again using transfermarkt - Tanner and Semenyo are 21, HNM 20, Wiles-Richards is 19, and Scott is 18. Benarous and Bell were on the bench v Brum, but aren't officially first team squad members. Benarous is 18, Bell is 19.

The other potentially misleading aspect of this is the Championship experience (or lack of) with some of our younger players. A player can be young and have decent experience at this level (e.g. Dasilva). For many of our younger players this isn't the case.

Pring is 23 (so not THAT young by footballing standards), but is in his first ever season of Championship football. Tanner, Atkinson and Scott are also in their first season at this level. Bakinson came into the season having played 2054 mins in the league in 20/21 - approx 23 matches worth of Championship experience.

It's very plausible that all 5 of those players could be starting a game for us - that's half our outfield players with little/no experience at this level prior to this season.

When Bentley talks of us being "A young squad on a learning curve", perhaps this is part of what he means. 

Edited by Supersonic Robin
  • Like 6