IGNORED

The Football Regulator

ExiledAjax

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There are 10 clubs who have scuppered this New Deal..and they're reportedly threatening legal action etc if forced to partake.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-13188487/Premier-League-clubs-shot-EFL-deal.html

And the Government is not impressed.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/12/government-angry-premier-league-reject-efl-support-plan

• Thanks 1

On 20/02/2024 at 12:47, ExiledAjax said:

On a personal note I think it's pretty probable that we would see legal challenges to the power that the regulator might wield in this regard. I think the PL is playing for time and is happy for this all to rumble on until the regulator sticks a deal in...and then it launches a challenge in the courts (see the Agents regs challenges for reference).

@Mr Popodopolous. Not normally one to quote myself, but I was way ahead of the Daily Mail on this occasion.

At this stage it's sabre rattling only but there are a few turkeys in the pyramid (not all currently in the PL) who are ready to vote for Christmas because they think they don't need the Deal.

In my opinion their display of hubris will bite them in the end. Clubs like Forest, Villa, Palace. They'll all be relegated sooner or later and they want PPs in place and they want to drop into a weaker Championship not a stronger one. Short-sighted and selfish imo, but there's football for you I guess.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Under the new system surely Parachute Payments would remain albeit reduced.

85% vs 70% then albeit Reduced Parachutes vs EFL money.

New system would.benefit them well potentially..Bournemouth another who voted against, I have rather a dislike for them also.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

I still think the idea of the PL settlement but with the 85% rule and Parachutes- Solidarity gap decreasing but still probably decent and merit based payments which would invariably under this system reinforce the position of relegated Parachute Clubs..assuming the underlying proposals haven't shifted.

I dunno if it would be an improvement on now. Maybe a bit? Blatant protectionism all the same.

The shadow leader of the House, Lucy Powell, said Labour would make the introduction of a regulator “an election issue” in places with struggling clubs if the government did not act.

“If the Conservatives want to make this an election issue in those places, I say bring it on,” Powell said. “Let us be really clear: if they do not want to regulate football governance, then we will.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/14/efl-looks-to-independent-regulator-to-break-premier-league-impasse

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I mean. Ultimately they just want more money to spend on transfer and salaries.

But they are correct that they need independent input to bring a deal forward.

However it will come with cost controls as Parry said.

The 70% cap combined with higher Revenue seems like the correct formula. Albeit the Parachute and 85% v 70% are two problems still.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

However it will come with cost controls as Parry said.

The 70% cap combined with higher Revenue seems like the correct formula. Albeit the Parachute and 85% v 70% are two problems still.

More revenue means any cap is a just a % of a bigger number.

Unless there are actual spending restrictions - as you get with stuff like the PL infrastructure grants - it will just go on wages and transfers. Maybe not player wages, maybe coaching wages.

Two weeks ago I personally asked Parry whether the EFL was interested in asking it's clubs to spend sustainably. I'll paraphrase his answer: "no".

• Thanks 1

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

More revenue means any cap is a just a % of a bigger number.

Unless there are actual spending restrictions - as you get with stuff like the PL infrastructure grants - it will just go on wages and transfers. Maybe not player wages, maybe coaching wages.

Two weeks ago I personally asked Parry whether the EFL was interested in asking it's clubs to spend sustainably. I'll paraphrase his answer: "no".

Oh wow.

Parry has changed his tune then??

The 70% cap would still see a tightening of the belt in both absolute and relative terms. I haven't looked yet at last season Accounts..he seems keen on FFP although perhaps less so in the last couple of years.

Posted (edited)

The Bill is expected to be tabled (in a weird and possibly desperate throw of the die from the government) to Parliament tomorrow.

Aides are briefing journalists today.

The wording surrounding any power to impose a financial deal between EFL and PL will be what to watch for.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

The Bill is expected to be tabled (in a weird and possibly desperate throw of the die from the government) to Parliament tomorrow.

Aides are briefing journalists today.

The wording surrounding any power to impose a financial deal between EFL and PL will be what to watch for.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/18/english-football-regulator-close-as-government-confirms-historic-bill

Worth looking at his impact on the first year of Hull City accounts. This being before Philogene, Carvalho, Delap etc.

Income up during new era, Allams gone, investment on the pitch etc..great.

Yes Income up but FFS look at the Wages and Amortisation! Plus the rate of growth with one vs the other.

Actually a pretty good letter in fairness.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

A New governance bill is to be introduced in parliment today, not looked into it too much but did notice a bit "clubs need to consult with fans re heritage and direction" and an independant regulator to be appointed. FSA (Football Supporters Assocation) warmly welcomes bill and a landmark decision....thoughts ?

(merge with ffp thread if required)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mason said:

A New governance bill is to be introduced in parliment today, not looked into it too much but did notice a bit "clubs need to consult with fans re heritage and direction" and an independant regulator to be appointed. FSA (Football Supporters Assocation) warmly welcomes bill and a landmark decision....thoughts ?

(merge with ffp thread if required)

Yes a huge day today. The culmination of years, in some cases decades, of campaigning by some very hard working people.

It won't be quite as strong a regulator (initially at least) as some hoped for. The fan heritage but is watered down a fair bit from what we hoped for, but yes there will be a regulator that checks that clubs have consulted fans if they want to change their badge for example.

A few of us have been discussing it over on this thread, and you're welcome join us.

https://www.otib.co.uk/topic/214852-the-fan-led-review-of-football-governance/page/7/#comment-4841478

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Open letter from the Hull owner. To fans of all clubs.

Albeit his spending seems a bit like Marinakis? He doesn't exactly seem a man of prudence or long term planning??

https://www.wearehullcity.co.uk/news/2024/march/16/open-letter-to-football-fans-from-acun-ilicali/

Clearly only cares about the money. Read between the lines and he supports a regulator who imposes a financial deal between PL and EFL.

My questions to any EFL chairman/owner/CEO who comes out today in support of the Regulator are:

1) if you get extra money can you commit to not simply spunking it on players?

2) what steps have you taken over the past two years to independently and proactively address the issues raised in the Fan-Led Review?

3) how should extra funds should be shared between EFL clubs?

Because if the answers are "no",  "nothing", and "league position"...then I say they don't actually support the regulator, they just support Championship clubs getting extra money to pour into a wages black hole in the ever-more-desperate race to the PL.

"Sustainability" is not achieved through simply more £££.

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

33 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yes a huge day today. The culmination of years, in some cases decades, of campaigning by some very hard working people.

It won't be quite as strong a regulator (initially at least) as some hoped for. The fan heritage but is watered down a fair bit from what we hoped for, but yes there will be a regulator that checks that clubs have consulted fans if they want to change their badge for example.

A few of us have been discussing it over on this thread, and you're welcome join us.

https://www.otib.co.uk/topic/214852-the-fan-led-review-of-football-governance/page/7/#comment-4841478

yes sorry didnt see/notice it

• Robin 1