IGNORED

The Football Regulator

ExiledAjax

27 minutes ago, phantom said:

FSA response to Government announcement that it will today - at last! - launch legislation to introduce an Independent Football Regulator. Bring it on.

20240319_074546.jpg

If anyone is wondering how they can try to make sure our MPs put through a strong and effective piece of legislation that arms a regulator with tools that might work - joining the FSA is a great start.

Kevin Miles is a legend in football fandom and honestly the FSA are a rare breed of fan organisation that the powers that be listen to.

Fair Game are also doing some great work so do consider supporting them as well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

Is this going to make much difference ?

That depends on what powers the regulator has.

5 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

The current Government might not even be in power soon - presume they will choose the regulator ?

Parliament will debate and pass the law that establishes the regulator. That law will set out how the individuals that head up the regulator are chosen. 

Personally - I'd probably rather a Labour government passed this law and was in power as the regulator was set up. Labour are naturally more comfortable with regulation and although the Bill has broad cross-party support, that support is more concentrated in Labour MPs.

6 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

Will any rules still have to be voted in by the clubs as well.

I don't think so. The regulator is essentially being imposed upon football by parliament and law. Private companies don't then get to "opt-out" of these laws and regulations.

That's not to say there aren't still potential challenges. FIFA might have a say as it has pretty clear rules about government intervention in football. You've also got the potential for the PL or EFL challenging any eventual use of the regulators powers - in particular any power to impose a financial deal between those two entities.

Today is a landmark moment, but it's far from the end of the story.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

I guess that is why they have said it’s an independent regulator to warn FIFA/UEFA off from thinking the Government are trying to get involved.

Perhaps part of it. Although the "independent" bit is more about making it clear that it's independent of the clubs and leagues that currently pretty much regulate themselves.

From a Bristol City fan's point of view I'm most interested in seeing what we eventually get in the Football Governance Code. I expect that to make it a condition that Clubs have a board of directors that is more than just the owner's son and mate. I expect it to require a certain level of transparency around decision making. There will also be an increase in the minimum level of fan engagement, consultation, and communication.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Clearly only cares about the money. Read between the lines and he supports a regulator who imposes a financial deal between PL and EFL.

My questions to any EFL chairman/owner/CEO who comes out today in support of the Regulator are:

1) if you get extra money can you commit to not simply spunking it on players?

2) what steps have you taken over the past two years to independently and proactively address the issues raised in the Fan-Led Review?

3) how should extra funds should be shared between EFL clubs?

Because if the answers are "no",  "nothing", and "league position"...then I say they don't actually support the regulator, they just support Championship clubs getting extra money to pour into a wages black hole in the ever-more-desperate race to the PL.

"Sustainability" is not achieved through simply more £££.

Let's be honest, if Hull don't go up within the next 2 seasons they are likely to find themselves in FFP trouble, hence why this guy is very keen for this to be sorted so Hull get the extra cash.

Trying to package it as that he care about the EFL blah blah blah is just bs.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Let's be honest, if Hull don't go up within the next 2 seasons they are likely to find themselves in FFP trouble, hence why this guy is very keen for this to be sorted so Hull get the extra cash.

Yes.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to The Football Regulator
2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Agreed although he wholly admits his or claims anyway his support for the new cost control measures too.

He seems to have a bit of a rapid gambler about him for sure however.

26 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

New Owners and Directors test will have a "competency" requirement for directors.

No comment re our board.

Yep, just read that in this Paul MacInnes piece:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/19/football-governance-bill-reveals-extent-of-english-regulators-proposed-powers

I did wonder whether JL is aware of this. 😁

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Bill is available for download if anyone else is as lame as me and needs something to read.

Not read and absorbed it all yet, but the power to 'break and enter' to obtain stuff seems just a little over the top.

It reads as a jobs charter for those leaving office after the general election. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hxj said:

Not read and absorbed it all yet, but the power to 'break and enter' to obtain stuff seems just a little over the top.

It reads as a jobs charter for those leaving office after the general election. 

I've read through once. Will go again tomorrow morning.

But yes the old dawn raids bit was interesting!

From my perspective I see huge challenges in imposing the restrictions on the share rights of owners and requirements on them to stop being owners. Or to force the removal of directors. The power to appoint trustees seems a stretch as well. I could see legal challenge there.

Financial deal is pretty weak as well. Mediation will be pointless so I don't even know why that's in there. Also there's no power for IFR to independently impose a deal. One of the PL, EFL, or NL need to request IFR to start that process. That seems a bit of an abandonment of some fairly sketchy powers. Definitely gives the feeling that IFR really, really would rather not get involved there.

On the plus I think the Owners and Directors test itself is a bit stronger - although as I say there's an issue around enforcement.

Fan consultation is bolstered.

It's a start. 

7 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Bit more than a chat down the Hen and Chicken needed.

Screenshot_20240319-175951.png

Strategic direction and objectives could be a challenge given that we appear to change tack on a regular basis on a whim. Consultation could be a full time job. 😉

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

Strategic direction and objectives could be a challenge given that we appear to change tack on a regular basis on a whim. Consultation could be a full time job. 😉

Maybe we'll get a poll on the website:

Which club should we seek to emulate this season:

A. Luton

B. Ipswich

C. Brentford

D. Brighton

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Markthehorn said:

I wonder if this is typical of some attitudes in the Premier league ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68610772

But seriously, Sullivan's resistance to the Bill might have something to do with the proposal that IFR would be able to levy a fine against an owner/director personally.

Screenshot_20240320-142732.png

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

But seriously, Gold's resistance to the Bill might have something to do with the proposal that IFR would be able to levy a fine against an owner/director personally.

Screenshot_20240320-142732.png

Gold (RIP) passed on a little while ago, Sullivan I thought.

He also said he didn't think Parachute Payments were big enough or something like that.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, chinapig said:

An excellent piece from Aaron Timms below. If only other journalists, pundits and fans would bother to think as deeply about regulation we would avoid much of the ill-informed, often hysterical nonsense.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/apr/02/premier-league-independent-regulator-profit-and-sustainability-chelsea

Very good piece. It's really hard.

I am, right now as I type, editing suggested amendments to the Bill that will (hopefully) bolster "the regulator’s most important power...to impose an agreement between the Premier League and the EFL on revenue distribution in the event of a negotiating deadlock." I've got meetings this week where we are trying to give the IFR proactive powers, and also trying to make sure that anything plan the EFL puts forward or agrees to benefits L1 and L2 as well as just Leeds, Southampton, and the other big teams in the Champ.

But it's bloody tough, and there's behemoths in front of us. 

• Thanks 2