IGNORED

Signing old players

And Its Smith

Our record of signing players over 32 that seemingly no other teams want is not great. Let’s hope Klose breaks the mould

King - done okay 

Simpson - poor signing 

Brunt - poor signing 

Mariappa - poor signing 

Williams - did okay 

Gilmartin - didn’t play

Maenpaa -  good signing 

O’Neil - poor signing 

Probably £3-4m spent on wages of these players. Maybe signing on fees on top. Overall it’s not great reading.  Personally I would play the younger players and try to see if they improve rather than sign another player well past his best when we aren’t going to go down 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Our record of signing players over 32 that seemingly no other teams want is not great. Let’s hope Klose breaks the mould

King - done okay 

Simpson - poor signing 

Brunt - poor signing 

Mariappa - poor signing 

Williams - did okay 

Gilmartin - didn’t play

Maenpaa -  good signing 

O’Neil - poor signing 

Probably £3-4m spent on wages of these players. Maybe signing on fees on top. Overall it’s not great reading.  Personally I would play the younger players and try to see if they improve rather than sign another player well past his best when we aren’t going to go down 

Generally yes but this is a specific position where due to injuries we are weak as piss and as Nige correctly says it is not sustainable to be going into every game needing to score at least twice to get a point out of it and three to four times to get a win.

• Like 14

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Generally yes but this is a specific position where due to injuries we are weak as piss and as Nige correctly says it is not sustainable to be going into every game needing to score at least twice to get a point out of it and three to four times to get a win.

We are desperate for a centre bank as the majority of us know. Moore is gone, Cundy is untried at this level. With our financial difficulties this signing makes perfect sense. 

• Like 6

Just now, Red Army 75 said:

We are desperate for a centre bank as the majority of us know. Moore is gone, Cundy is untried at this level. With our financial difficulties this signing makes perfect sense. 

Yes, low cost and low risk signing which is where we are as a club anyway!! As others have said, if the guy is over his injuries we have a very capable centre half for the rest of the season.

• Like 5

Just now, firstdivision said:

Andy King - Ten league starts, two of which he's not completed because of injury, one of which he was sent off in. Two sub apps. And a hamstring injury that'll probably keep him out for a while.

Done okay?

We have a pretty low bar if we think that. 

I agree. I looked on each signing as favourably as possible. One could argue that the injuries are unlucky and one could also argue signing older players increases chance of having injured players. We have signed another player with injury concerns. 

18 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

King - done okay 

Simpson - poor signing 

Brunt - poor signing 

Mariappa - poor signing 

Williams - did okay 

Gilmartin - didn’t play

Maenpaa -  good signing 

O’Neil - poor signing 

Disagree re Mariappa. 4/8 isn't great still, but older signings are normally low pay high risk.

It will be interesting whether he starts. 

As long as we aren’t getting drawn into a relegation dogfight (and we currently seem to be getting just enough points to avoid that) I’d honestly rather see Pring, Vyner, Atkinson getting game time.

Not saying we don’t need him (on Tuesday I think we had no central defender on the np bench) but I kind of hope it’s not to start every week. 

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I agree. I looked on each signing as favourably as possible. One could argue that the injuries are unlucky and one could also argue signing older players increases chance of having injured players. We have signed another player with injury concerns. 

You only have to look at his injury record to know he's not been 'unlucky' with injuries this season. He's started 8 first-team games since 2018. The last time he started 20+ games in a season was 2014, more than seven years ago. Sometimes I despair with our recruitment.

It makes perfect sense to sign Klose despite his history of injuries. He’s vastly experienced with a very decent CV and without Baker city are yet again short of a decent CB to play alongside Kalas.

Klose has been training with City and Nige will have had a good look at him and decided to offer him a deal - just in time for the visit to Deepdale on Saturday.

He’ll be in he matchday squad for sure. 

1 minute ago, Street red said:

Free signing and a experienced CV to go with it not a bad signing to have around the place in my view.

We have spent £3-4m on the ‘free’ signings above.  

Moore would do a job until the end of the season and we ain’t going down.  Not gonna lose sleep over it mind you !

Edited by And Its Smith

57 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Could have recalled Moore instead of signing Klose 

It could  quite easily be the case that Klose’s wages are lower than what we are getting from Hearts.

Just throwing made up numbers out there, but say Moore is on £12k p.w (remember the new contract he got?) of which Hearts are contributing 50%, it’s conceivable that we might be paying Klose less than £6k p.w.

There’s also the intangible that him staying at Hearts might mean we shift him in the summer (to Hearts or whoever), saving £600k in wages next year and a small amount of amortisation (about £40k).  We might even get a fee too.

Plus there’s also the other bit that Nige doesn’t think he’s good enough…that’s probably the most important factor! ?

(Personally I don’t think he’s as bad as made out on here, but that’s immaterial)

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Klose probably on more wages than Moore 

How can you be sure? Klose was unemployed, and finances for all clubs are tight, so he was hardly in a position to negotiate a high wage 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It could  quite easily be the case that Klose’s wages are lower than what we are getting from Hearts.

Just throwing made up numbers out there, but say Moore is on £12k p.w (remember the new contract he got?) of which Hearts are contributing 50%, it’s conceivable that we might be paying Klose less than £6k p.w.

There’s also the intangible that him staying at Hearts might mean we shift him in the summer (to Hearts or whoever), saving £600k in wages next year and a small amount of amortisation (about £40k).  We might even get a fee too.

Plus there’s also the other bit that Nige doesn’t think he’s good enough…that’s probably the most important factor! ?

(Personally I don’t think he’s as bad as made out on here, but that’s immaterial)

I agree.  I'd like to see if he could iron out the errors if he was given the opportunity that Vyner's been given.  At the end of the day, he hasn't had a run in the team.  He's shown flashes of potential, but admittedly been error prone.  But for me, he's a better defender and footballer than Zak and I think his errors could be coached out of him.  Like you say though, Nige obviously doesn't agree, so it's all immaterial.

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Moore would do a job until the end of the season and we ain’t going down.  Not gonna lose sleep over it mind you !

I don’t think it’s a case of whether we are at risk of going down or not. It’s about trying to improve the team in all aspects of play and building momentum.

Moore is done here so no point bringing him back as he wouldn’t improve us.

Hopefully Klose will help improve our ability to defend from crosses and set pieces and so help improve our chances of winning games and so building momentum which you carry through into next season.

You feel with the way that the team is progressing at the moment that the squad is very bought into improving and building into next season and the one after. “On the bus” as Nige calls it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Moore won't be back a player we can get a fee for, Think he burnt his bridges in training a reason he's out on loan and not come back even though we are short.