IGNORED

Defending last minute

Finley_Smith10

4 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

That defending from Vyner is embarrassing. Hate for him to be the scapegoat but he’s not good enough 

100% a foul on Pring

Then it’s just poor between Kalas and Vyner. Kalas is just ball watching and in no man’s land as that ball comes in. Perhaps Vyner should have got in tighter - some communication may have helped

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MarcusX said:

100% a foul on Pring

Then it’s just poor between Kalas and Vyner. Kalas is just ball watching and in no man’s land as that ball comes in. Perhaps Vyner should have got in tighter - some communication may have helped

Think it’s just a case of someone taking responsibility and staying touch tight to Preston’s top goalscorer in the last minute of the game. The amount of stupid goals conceded this season by mistakes like this is why we’re not joint 5th 

21 minutes ago, Super said:

Ok Vyner could do better but the fault is with Pring.

No it’s not. There are multiple opportunities to deal with that attack after Pring lost the ball on the edge of the area at the other end of the pitch. 
Vyner & Kalas could mark better. Weimann could run back and defend rather than stand and watch. Perhaps if he’d ran back to cover the fact Pring was upfield he might have been on the edge of the box to put the attacker off. Williams could have covered the overlapping run wide a lot quicker. Not Prings fault at all. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Harry said:

No it’s not. There are multiple opportunities to deal with that attack after Pring lost the ball on the edge of the area at the other end of the pitch. 
Vyner & Kalas could mark better. Weimann could run back and defend rather than stand and watch. Perhaps if he’d ran back to cover the fact Pring was upfield he might have been on the edge of the box to put the attacker off. Williams could have covered the overlapping run wide a lot quicker. Not Prings fault at all. 

The first error was Pring. His fault I'm afraid.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Think it’s just a case of someone taking responsibility and staying touch tight to Preston’s top goalscorer in the last minute of the game. The amount of stupid goals conceded this season by mistakes like this is why we’re not joint 5th 

Then again, we got a last minute equaliser at Hull, a last minute winner at QPR- that's 3 points you can put to the other side.

Saw mentioned on social media last 5 mins- well by the same token we have to count winners v Peterborough and Millwall- I'd say we would on balance be pushing top 6 if not for the late moments though.

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Vyner marking fresh air when that cross came in, although you can also see how easy it was for Pring to play the pass for Semenyo before he got caught.

Or just head for the corner. He only had to hold it there for about 10 seconds and they wouldn’t have had the time left to get it back down the other end. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I agree completely. Pring could have headed to the corner and still be dispossessed.

You have to defend the same way, regardless of what minute the game is, not switch off.

If that had happened in the 60th minute, everyone would be blaming Vyner and Kalas for switching off. 

Yes...Pring could have made a more experienced decision, but that still doesn't stop the poor defending at the back... completely switched off...which imo is worse, especially from more experienced players.

So I'm with you in your observations Harry.

• Like 5

Right how I see it.

Pring, hindsight says he should take it to the corner, fair enough. I've said elsewhere, the best way to see out the game is score another. Brilliant run and he just gets caught in two minds. definitely should have played Semenyo in and let him get a shot in. In the crowd or in the goal, game over. Tiredness and indecision meant he did neither. 

The other end, maybe Vyner could have been closer, but the reason I think people feel he's being scapegoated? Has anyone complained about Kalas? He's marking no one, he jumps under the ball when a centre forward scores. But Vyner gets the grief . Not perfect defending, when is it, but it's a 1 in 50 type strike, I  just put this one down to bad luck.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

Yes, Pring could have headed for the corner and been dispossessed (although he’s a strong lad) - and would probably have got stick for that too. But of the three options he had, that was probably the one most likely to have enabled us to see out the last few seconds. 

But why this obsession with finding one individual to “blame” all the time. I’m with @1960maaan on this. Several players made decisions that probably weren’t the right ones in hindsight. Pring being just one. Why were they given so much space on their right to get behind us. Why the space to get the cross in. Why were two defenders in no man’s land in the box. 

Not the best decisions - by some very tired players at the end of an exhausting 90 minutes they’d battled throughout. It happens. No one player deserves “blame”. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Super said:

Sorry, ridiculous statement imho.

How about we look at the goal as a collective.  It’s views like yours that if you were manager would destroy a players confidence, stop them expressing themselves, etc.

It’s a helluva finish too, shit happens.

• Like 11

I’m unconvinced about Zac but wow. We could’ve / should’ve killed that game off well before then. Andi in the first half, Antoine’s header in the second, Cam playing in the latter at the end. All of these  probably / definitely = 3 points. 

Let’s enjoy the fact that the corner has been turned, we are becoming entertaining to watch for the first time in 3-4 seasons and it’s now decision making that we need to improve, not our ability to create chances. 

And as has been said, it still took a worldie to deny us the win

Edited by steveybadger
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

If Pring loses it in the corner then i doubt they break so easily. He lost it in the centre of the pitch.

When the cross comes in Vyner is the one who can see the scorer the whole time and could have gone with him when he moved, but was distracted by the player who Weimann had let go who had got to the edge of the box. He's looking towards him even when the guy is crossing the ball. He's so late reading where the cross is going, he's barely moved by the time it gets to the scorer.

Back to Pring, what annoyed me there was taking so long to make the pass to Semenyo, not so much that he didn't run into the corner. But in hindsight that would have been the best thing to do.

All if's, but's and maybe's... hindsight is a wonderful thing. Like we agree on...players switched off after a poor decision by a youngster. That's why I don't blame Pring...you concentrate until the whistle. 

It was poor imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Super said:

I can’t think of a single example I’ve ever seen where a player is in a 2 vs 1 situation running directly on goal and he goes to the corner. 
Laughable opinion. 

I think it was more of a defensive error than Cam’s. There seemed to be an age between losing the ball and them scoring, there were multiple crosses before the Preston guy scored. From comments on here I thought he had just got the ball directly and scored, it wasn’t like that at all. 

1 minute ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I think it was more of a defensive error than Cam’s. There seemed to be an age between losing the ball and them scoring, there were multiple crosses before the Preston guy scored. From comments on here I thought he had just got the ball directly and scored, it wasn’t like that at all. 

Well if by multiple you mean 1 you would be bang on ??

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Harry said:

Pring didn’t even “lose” the ball, he was fouled plain and simple

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Harry said:

I can’t think of a single example I’ve ever seen where a player is in a 2 vs 1 situation running directly on goal and he goes to the corner. 
Laughable opinion. 

We had someone do it once not long ago, was it Palmer? Can’t remember but to much applause. Through one on one and went to the corner and ran down time instead.

Might even have been Taylor?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MarcusX said:

We had someone do it once not long ago, was it Palmer? Can’t remember but to much applause. Through one on one and went to the corner and ran down time instead.

Might even have been Taylor?

Yep. Matty Taylor. Home to Baggies I think when we were hanging on to a 3-2.

Edited by Lanterne Rouge

12 hours ago, Super said:

Ok Vyner could do better but the fault is with Pring.

Just watched it back with the benefit of freeze framing, regardless of the cause of the buildup, Vyner starts by jogging back, eventually gets goal side of his man, then goes ball watching on the cross which allows the scorer to drop back a couple of yards to give himself room for the volley. If Vyner does what he’s paid to do for a living, then the Preston player gets nowhere near enough space to execute that shot. I’d love to see stats on how many goals we concede from players he is supposed to be marking, I reckon it’s got to be a goal a game.

If we were more ruthless in winning positions, we would win a lot more. We could have easily killed this game off in the first half. We just lack a bit of quality in the wide areas for me. 

We are heading in the right direction, we actually look a good side now. We are just a couple of players short from being playoff contenders next season.