IGNORED

"Of Course, It's Not Like The Old Days"

Port Said Red

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

A common cry or inference made on here about modern footballers. Too interested in their image maybe, not like those hard men of the game in the past..........

But was it ever that different?

Screenshot_20220212-091548_Facebook~2.jpg

Oh wow, I had forgotten all about Cossack!!  Didn’t Oliver Reed (of all people) advertise it also, or am I having a latest in an increasingly long line of Senior Moments. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

No different now, to back then, when it comes looks. Just different era's and influences.

During the 70s blokes were going into ladies hair salons to have a perm ?...then 80s everyone was dying or bleaching their hair.

Beckham made it worse though, he made everyone get tattoos and adopt "daily skincare routines"

• Haha 1

The difference between those days and today is the wages and the Bosman ruling. 
If you compare the difference in wages of, say, Keegan or Best with the average wages of the time - vs the difference between say C Ronaldo and Sterling with todays average wage I would bet that there is a HUGE difference. 

The Bosman ruling has also negatively  affected some of the smaller clubs who can’t hang on to or cash in on protégées that they unearth. This has helped to push wages up as clubs fight for signatures by offering unsustainable wages. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

‘Made’ everyone?

I don’t think people can blame a dodgy tattoo or barnet on poor old Becks - people make their own minds up on those things. 

No they don’t. Beckham got loads of tattoos and then people started getting them. They followed his look like sheep. Ok so he didn't say to them "you must get tattoos or you are not cool like me" but if he had never got any I doubt they'd be such a bog standard fashion accessory today.

1 minute ago, The dastardly red said:

No they don’t. Beckham got loads of tattoos and then people started getting them. They followed his look like sheep. Ok so he didn't say to them "you must get tattoos or you are not cool like me" but if he had never got any I doubt they'd be such a bog standard fashion accessory today.

Agreed. Definitely the start of making tattoo's the norm and perfectly acceptable. The back pages as well as some front pages were full of it whenever he got a new tattoo 25 years ago. Didnt take long after for society to not give two hoots about tattoo's.

7 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

Agreed. Definitely the start of making tattoo's the norm and perfectly acceptable. The back pages as well as some front pages were full of it whenever he got a new tattoo 25 years ago. Didnt take long after for society to not give two hoots about tattoo's.

Tattoos have always been acceptable to those of a certain class - like Beckham and numerous other footballers.

My maternal g’dad born in 1902 had tattoos done during his national service between the wars. Regimental badges were all the rage back then………….:dunno:

25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Tattoos have always been acceptable to those of a certain class - like Beckham and numerous other footballers.

My maternal g’dad born in 1902 had tattoos done during his national service between the wars. Regimental badges were all the rage back then………….:dunno:

Yeah but it was pretty much limited to servicemen and convicts in those days!