IGNORED

If dreams come true, this summer .....

1960maaan

Chelsea interest in Webster, Newcastle in Kelly and with Burnley possibly doomed and Brownhill getting rave reviews , may he will move.
Wild speculation alert, but that could be worth a lot of money to us should all three come off.  
Webster went for about £25 so you'd think maybe £40m, which would be £15m profit.
Kelly went for about £15m , you'd think to get him it would need £30m , which would be another £15m profit.
Brownhill was around £6m (?) , possibly £15m . that would be £9m profit.

As I said wild speculation, but it's a quiet week so I'll carry on. That totals £39m profit on the 3, if we have done good business (which Ashton prides himself on) then say 20% sell on clauses in all 3. That would mean nearly £8m coming in. That could put a whole new spin on the summer.  If Pearson was to be given all that as a War-chest, add a small amount from wheeling and dealing, we may actually get ahead of the "plan". 

Massive amount of if's and buts, but I think we may be due a little luck, so who knows.

• Like 5
  • Hmmm 2

6 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Chelsea interest in Webster, Newcastle in Kelly and with Burnley possibly doomed and Brownhill getting rave reviews , may he will move.
Wild speculation alert, but that could be worth a lot of money to us should all three come off.  
Webster went for about £25 so you'd think maybe £40m, which would be £15m profit.
Kelly went for about £15m , you'd think to get him it would need £30m , which would be another £15m profit.

As I said wild speculation, but it's a quiet week so I'll carry on. That totals £39m profit on the 3, if we have done good business (which Ashton prides himself on) then say 20% sell on clauses in all 3. That would mean nearly £8m coming in. That could put a whole new spin on the summer.  If Pearson was to be given all that as a War-chest, add a small amount from wheeling and dealing, we may actually get ahead of the "plan". 

Massive amount of if's and buts, but I think we may be due a little luck, so who knows.

I always felt he was worth more than that

• Haha 3

I know they said we wouldn't sell our best players but I think the club are praying Semenyo and Scott continue their good form and bring us some serious money in during the summer. Along with Massengo those 3 going would more than balance the books and whilst they are all very good players we wouldn't be far worse off without them should we recruit the right players. Relying on Webster and Brownhill being sold is a bit hopeful. I do think Kelly will go, especially if bournemouth fail to go up. Newcastle and the Eddie howe reunion seem likely. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Hate that Ashton guy.

Certainly would be a help but the law of averages suggests one of these will possibly happen rather than all 3.

Think we all realise the likelihood is one of our biggest assets (Semenyo, Scott or HNM) will depart as well.

When we factor in those out of contract who leave, & we have Simpson, Cundy, Klose, King, COD & Martin in the mix, then even before we look at moving on those under contract, it does offer NP some scope to change things.

7 minutes ago, Negan said:

I know they said we wouldn't sell our best players but I think the club are praying Semenyo and Scott continue their good form and bring us some serious money in during the summer. Along with Massengo those 3 going would more than balance the books and whilst they are all very good players we wouldn't be far worse off without them should we recruit the right players. Relying on Webster and Brownhill being sold is a bit hopeful. I do think Kelly will go, especially if bournemouth fail to go up. Newcastle and the Eddie howe reunion seem likely. 

Easier said than done. Heard that about Reid, Bryan, Webster, Brownhill, Kelly etc. Reid is the only one we adequately replaced, and that was with an academy player.

1 minute ago, Negan said:

Those years of "Selling our best Players" I didn't see it as no ambition. We were wildly inconsistent , never managed a proper promotion push and players were better than the rest and tempted by the Prem. I understood the reasons to sell , even if it was a bit annoying. This new batch feels different. The core of the team is young, making their way at the start of their career and playing regularly. Scott , Semenyo & Massengo would probably not walk into a Prem first team and play week on week, and remember that's why we got HNM in the first place. They would make the Core of our Team. If we lost one, most likely IMO would be HNM and it would take serious money ( yes I know contracts etc). If we sold all three, even 2, I think it would hit season ticket sales massively. That's why I think we will do our upmost to keep as many as possible and build around them. Add Williams, Pring, Tanner, Atkinson, OLeary, Benarous, and a few experienced ones like Kalas & James, we have a good core to press on. At least I'd like to think so.

• Like 1

Mike - if as Graham says we get just one of those big-2 (Kelly or Webster) to move on at the kind of money suggested, that brings us back inside FFP based on my estimates, and starts to give us some room to recruit. It would mean we could resists bids for our best players too.

An interesting summer ahead.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Mike - if as Graham says we get just one of those big-2 (Kelly or Webster) to move on at the kind of money suggested, that brings us back inside FFP based on my estimates, and starts to give us some room to recruit. It would mean we could resists bids for our best players too.

An interesting summer ahead.

That was part of my thinking. If we managed to move a couple on and we will naturally lose some , our wage bill comes down too. 
Then we see how good our recruitment department can be, and how good our new (low profile) CEO is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Yes but we need more money that that. It don't buy us many or a lot of class/ability

Pearson won't need a lot of money to get quality he's great in the transfer market.Bristol city don't need to spend stupid amounts..The important part is to off load the high earners and start getting players in that appreciate playing for our club.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Webster is a good player but really don't see him at any of the top 3 clubs in England. Spurs or Arsenal would be a good move.

Edited by Super

12 minutes ago, Super said:

Webster is a good player but really don't see him at any of the top 3 clubs in England. Spurs or Arsenal would be a good move.

TBF it was just a link I saw and ran with.
That said , Chelsea look like they have 9 "home grown" players (8 needed). That includes 2 or 3 I could see moving on, so who knows.

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

TBF it was just a link I saw and ran with.
That said , Chelsea look like they have 9 "home grown" players (8 needed). That includes 2 or 3 I could see moving on, so who knows.

Yes you never know i'm just not sure he is at that very top level. Interesting to see how he goes tonight.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Street red said:

Pearson won't need a lot of money to get quality he's great in the transfer market.Bristol city don't need to spend stupid amounts..The important part is to off load the high earners and start getting players in that appreciate playing for our club.

Danny Simpson.

6 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Danny Simpson.

Re-signed as a stop gap as we didn't have money to spend.  I think the proper signings, like Tanner and Atkinson , even James and King have looked promising. No more "clubs in the bag" nonsense.

TBF, it looks like Pearson agrees with you. Not been near the team for a while, bench for emergencies but that's it. Tells a story.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Re-signed as a stop gap as we didn't have money to spend.  I think the proper signings, like Tanner and Atkinson , even James and King have looked promising. No more "clubs in the bag" nonsense.

TBF, it looks like Pearson agrees with you. Not been near the team for a while, bench for emergencies but that's it. Tells a story.

aka a mistake

4 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

aka a mistake

Happens to all managers. I don't think many were complaining at the time, sort of made sense.
Seeing as we had to lose 14 players, and make up with no money, I'd say his ht rate was pretty good.

4 minutes ago, Midred said:

What happens if a player moves to another club as part of a deal, is there still a value put on the whole transaction or in a case of "you can have so and so in exchange plus x million" does this make the sell on clause meaningless? 

Might be one for @Davefevs or @Mr Popodopolous or @spudski.

I remember a few arguments years ago, when teams started playing fast and loose with valuations. Can't remember details, but one club signed a player of value from a team, part exchanged 2 Academy players and inflated their value in the deal to make it seem they paid less in money sense to make it up. Not sure you can do that so easily now. Would confuse the issue though.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Midred said:

What happens if a player moves to another club as part of a deal, is there still a value put on the whole transaction or in a case of "you can have so and so in exchange plus x million" does this make the sell on clause meaningless? 

True swap deals are very rare, but we’ve seen some European clubs starting to use them, inflating prices of both players to short term get around FFP…because they spread the new player fee over the term of the contract, but the sold player profit gets realised immediately.

A true swap deal should be completed using transfer fees reflective of market value….not to kick FFP down the road, nor to avoid paying sell-on percentages.

But they are in effect two separate transactions.

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

True swap deals are very rare, but we’ve seen some European clubs starting to use them, inflating prices of both players to short term get around FFP…because they spread the new player fee over the term of the contract, but the sold player profit gets realised immediately.

A true swap deal should be completed using transfer fees reflective of market value….not to kick FFP down the road, nor to avoid paying sell-on percentages.

But they are in effect two separate transactions.

Thanks Dave, I was wondering how it would affect the sell on payback to the original clubs?

1 hour ago, VT05763 said:

aka a mistake

Cheap and available punt at the time - with an attitude known by the manager and brought in for experience to what was a young side. Perhaps that experience is being passed onto the younger players behind the scenes either in the U23s or in training.

Granted that the legs have gone now, so unlikely to get another start in the Championship, but perhaps not quite the total mistake you dismiss it as.

• Like 3