IGNORED

Englands fixtures in the Nations league

Never to the dark side

5 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

I am really surprised Webster hasn’t had a look in. Not saying that through City tinted glasses but I think his style & ability would be very suited to international football. I think the issue at CB goes way deeper than Maguire though & Southgate’s over the top loyalty appears part of the reason why this side is stagnating.

Do I think Maguire should be playing? No, but his involvement is easier to argue given his strong tournament displays for England. Personally I find the inclusions of Dier & Coady pointless.

We know all about Dier. He’s not up to the level so why go back? Why not have a look at someone different? He’s simply not going to be part of a future England defence. Same with Coady, he’s been in and around the squad for a while, has never broken in to hold a regular starting place, likely never will & couldn’t get in at Wolves but because he’s good around the squad he’s included? Surely that’s just stopping others getting a chance. Seems so odd. The likes of Guehi, Tomori, White & of course Webster should be getting a look in.

Slightly tinted as last year I don’t think he featured as regularly through injury. 

The season or two previous though, yes I’d agree. 

1 hour ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

God help us. He’s another Southgate has played when out of the team / form. 

Southgate has previously selected in form strikers but no sign of Toney in the squad yesterday……….. :dunno: That really irritated Simon Jordan on TS yesterday and I reckon most people were in agreement. Pundits were complaining post match that England ‘lacked options in the final third’………..jeez…………:facepalm:

Southgate is waaay too defensive. He rarely starts with flair players like Grealish  only brining him on with 15mins to go. England have always been dreary and incredibly boring to watch………….:sleeping:  but even more dull under Southgate. - you wouldn’t think that’d be possible.

Edited by Robbored

3 hours ago, The dastardly red said:

What are you on about? Mancini oozes the kind of style that someone like you can only dream of. The suit was a classic summer book end look. As an ensemble his outfit successfully harnessed the wistful and bittersweet reflections that are so often carried on the last few breezes of the warmer months. 

Missed the suit was hypnotised by how uniformly black Mancini’s hair was.

• Admin
3 hours ago, gl2 said:

Cant see no big deal really, the team that started v Italy will be nothing like the one that starts the WC. With Kane and Sterling and maybe 1 or 2 more from last night starting the first game imo.

I'd disagree because there's no way financially England would want to be out of the top division. 

Southgate would sadly have been going all out last night 

3 hours ago, gl2 said:

Cant see no big deal really, the team that started v Italy will be nothing like the one that starts the WC. With Kane and Sterling and maybe 1 or 2 more from last night starting the first game imo.

And who are these 6 or 7 mystery players who didn’t play last night that will be in ?

Pickford & Stones I’d suggest , probably Shaw or Chilwell 

I make it 3 

3 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Really? Maguire, Walker, Rice, Sterling, Kane, Foden will probably all start. Bellingham and James quite likely too

Pope, probably not. Dier, didn’t do anything wrong but would like to hope we’ve got better quality. Saka not in that position.

Maquire/Walker over the hill imo can hardly get a start in club games; Bellingham/James more likly subs Foden to not banker starter...imo. That leaves Kane, Sterling and Rice but we will see eh?

1 hour ago, gl2 said:

Maquire/Walker over the hill imo can hardly get a start in club games; Bellingham/James more likly subs Foden to not banker starter...imo. That leaves Kane, Sterling and Rice but we will see eh?

Walker and Maguire will start first game. Not sure who you think will start at centre back if they don’t.   I’m trying to work out what team he will pick with your 3 and nobody else. Can’t see it at all

Pickford

Stones.  Coady.  Tomori 

Trent.   Rice.  Phillips.  Trippier

Sterling.  Kane.  Grealish

Is that what you are thinking?  

2 hours ago, gl2 said:

You're making some valid reasons why certain players shouldn't start but the fact there is one game before the World Cup and Southgate hasn't really experimented with alternatives makes me skeptical of your idea that he's suddenly going to chuck out the line up and start again.

I reckon Southgte went into last night's game with 6 players in mind as definite starters (Walker, Maguire, James, Rice, Kane and Sterling) and two more (Bellingham and Foden) in a tight race with one or two players for a starting spot.

The major question is what Southgate does now. One more game before the tournament and he has to decide whether to

a) stick with the tried and tested team from 2021 and hope their form returns at the key moment

b) tweak the formation and hope that makes a difference

c) rip up the plans and start from scratch with untested players

None are great options. @Taylor10hits the nail on the head with the issue with Maguire in particular. He is seen as a lynchpin of the defence due to his tournament performances in 2018 and 2021 but has done nothing for club or country in the last year to justify the confidence shown in him. There are no tried and tested alternatives but, if Southgate sticks with him and he has a bad tournament, it looks like a terrible decision.  

My biggest frustration with Southgate is he never tries to win the game.

Against Italy he has Tammy on the bench who plays in Italy and scores goals. Why is he not brought on and given half an hour as we needed a goal?

What is the point of the bench if you aren't going to use it?

3 at the back with no left wing back? 

A poor WC and he is gone.

We look slow and ponderous all the time. 

17 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Walker and Maguire will start first game. Not sure who you think will start at centre back if they don’t.   I’m trying to work out what team he will pick with your 3 and nobody else. Can’t see it at all

Pickford

Stones.  Coady.  Tomori 

Trent.   Rice.  Phillips.  Trippier

Sterling.  Kane.  Grealish

Is that what you are thinking?  

Exactly, Maguire and Walker are nailed on starters, like it or not and the alternatives without those said players don’t seem to be favoured by Southgate 

On 25/09/2022 at 16:04, Super said:

Sounds like Toney won't be involved tomorrow. What a complete waste of time calling him up.

What makes you say that? he’s in the match day squad.

Got tickets to tonight and really struggled to find motivation but I’ve found someone else who’s going and dragged myself out.

I’m as pro-England, glass half full as it gets and I’m dreading this WC at the moment. Really hope we do something tonight to show some hope or potential for November. I can’t believe how much we seem to have regressed since the Euros, and this was the one the FA targeted doing well in…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

What makes you say that? he’s in the match day squad.

Got tickets to tonight and really struggled to find motivation but I’ve found someone else who’s going and dragged myself out.

I’m as pro-England, glass half full as it gets and I’m dreading this WC at the moment. Really hope we do something tonight to show some hope or potential for November. I can’t believe how much we seem to have regressed since the Euros, and this was the one the FA targeted doing well in…

If you heard Southgate yesterday he was indicating he wouldn't be involved. Hopefully he is.

• Thanks 1

• Admin

Starting line up 

Pope in goal 

Stones, Dier, and Maguire as central defenders

James and Shaw as wing backs

Bellingham and Rice in central midfield 

Sterling and Foden on the wings

Kane up front 

Subs

Ramsdale, D Henderson, Trippier, J Henderson, Walker, Coady, Guehi, Saka, Mount, Tony, Chilwell and Abraham 

3 minutes ago, phantom said:

Starting line up 

Pope in goal 

Stones, Dier, and Maguire as central defenders

James and Shaw as wing backs

Bellingham and Rice in central midfield 

Sterling and Foden on the wings

Kane up front 

I'm guessing apart from Pickford that's the starting line up for the first WC game if everyone is fit.

On 25/09/2022 at 10:20, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Is Webster injured? The back 3 are crying out for a quality ball carrier. Crazy he hasn’t been selected if available 

Forget Webster Tomori won the serie A last season with Milan playing at the heart of their defence and just signed a 4 year extension with them! 

Absolutely ludicrous that dopey Southgate thinks the likes of Maguire should start ahead of him.

• Like 5