IGNORED

The famous Jimmy Mann goal

Alan Dicks

On 21/02/2022 at 21:52, spudski said:

Would filming by the Pearces have commentary and line ups, with score etc? Maybe they filmed it and it was sent for TV release? Or maybe it was filmed by a TV company? 

This gives some insight...

Although his father was a rugby man, Jonathan loved football and all he wanted to do was play for Bristol City. Jonathan’s father was a progressive man who believed in giving youth opportunities, and he worked as a Senior Lecturer in Electrical Engineering. The family lived on the same road as Bristol City manager Alan Dicks, and through him Jonathan’s father became involved with the club, taking on responsibility for the education of junior players. In 1972 Jonathan and his father started filming games for use in training, making Bristol City the first club in Europe to film games for tactical purposes. Jonathan explains how this helped him gain experience in football and media worlds: “I was meeting people in TV, and we travelled to games with journalists or on the First Team bus.” Still grappling with ambitions to play football, he reveals: “For about six months, I trained with the club, but I knew I wasn’t good enough. Then I broke my leg playing football at school and I was four months in plaster. I got a letter from Bristol City saying they didn’t want to take me on, and I locked myself in my room for two days. I was fifteen.” But Jonathan continued working with his dad, filming the games, and when he progressed on to Birmingham University, Alan sent him a lovely letter of thanks which, to this day, Jonathan treasures.
When Jonathan was a second year undergraduate, BBC Radio Bristol had a job vacancy covering Bristol City games. To pass the audition, Jon had to commentate over recordings of Bristol City games. Fortunately, those recordings were provided by Jonathan’s dad, enabling him to prepare thoroughly and, from then on, things fell into place.

Was that road that AD and the Pearces lived on Ormerod Road (BS9), would any one on here know or be able to confirm?

On 20/02/2022 at 17:19, ralphindevon said:

No this was a league game on a Saturday but I’m glad you mention the league cup.

It was a rare evening game for me, as I lived 60 miles away and Gerry Sweeney scored an absolute peach and hardly anyone remembers it compared to Mann’s goal.

It was at the other end and Sweeney had been getting loads of stick from a section of the crowd near me, that certainly shut them up. I’m presuming it was also Shilton but can’t remember for sure.

We drew 1-1 and lost the replay if I remember correctly. I’d love to see it again. 

Sweeney goal!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 3 Peaps In A PodCast said:

Sweeney goal!

Cheers, that’s brilliant. Better than I remember as a 15 year old stood in the enclosure. Pretty sure that’s the first time I’ve seen it since the actual night.

These old grainy, black and white clips make me feel about 98 though. 

• Flames 1

3 hours ago, DingleRed said:

Yes 

Thought so. Add to that the Right Reverend George Carey, the Bishop of Bath & Wells (but not the Baby-Eating Bishop of Bath & Wells), who would go on to be Archbishop of Canterbury,  and is now Baron Carey of Clifton, and it was quite an illustrious road, Ormerod, back then. There was a Graveney there too at some point, but not Dave or Tom.

Wonder where the Rovers manager lived back then - Shire, perhaps?

2 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Thought so. Add to that the Right Reverend George Carey, the Bishop of Bath & Wells (but not the Baby-Eating Bishop of Bath & Wells), who would go on to be Archbishop of Canterbury,  and is now Baron Carey of Clifton, and it was quite an illustrious road, Ormerod, back then. There was a Graveney there too at some point, but not Dave or Tom.

Wonder where the Rovers manager lived back then - Shire, perhaps?

David's brother lived around the corner in Reedley Road. David, I believe, bought a new-build flat overlooking the County Ground. Could watch for free! Also, Bill Athey lived off Reedley Road when he played for Glos. I think some of the current Bears may be nearby as well. Going back, Norman Hunter was nearby as were the Mabbutts. 

16 minutes ago, DingleRed said:

David's brother lived around the corner in Reedley Road. David, I believe, bought a new-build flat overlooking the County Ground. Could watch for free! Also, Bill Athey lived off Reedley Road when he played for Glos. I think some of the current Bears may be nearby as well. Going back, Norman Hunter was nearby as were the Mabbutts. 

No doubt the milkman from the long-gone dairy on Parrys Lane was in the know back then .....