IGNORED

Where could we have been with more AW & AS

1960maaan

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

This popped up on Twitter, don't think it's been posted before.
Most productive Duos, that's some return. 

If, we had had them all season.
If we had a good defence.
If we can keep them for next year.

IF, IF, IF,

1202311715_Screenshot2022-02-21at15_25_29.png.d9d9711d2d983969dd87ba124cc1019d.png

Around 14th,

Scoring goals isn't our problem, keeping them out on the other hand

• Like 1

Was going to make a thread on Weimann-Semenyo.

Is that stat reflective of goal-assist combination? 

Vs Huddersfield- Semenyo assist Weimann goal x 2.

Vs Cardiff, Semenyo assist, Weimann goal.

Vs Luton, Semenyo assist, Weimann goal.

Vs Reading, Weimann assist, Semenyo goal.

Vs Swansea, Semenyo assist, Weimann goal.

Vs Middlesbrough, Semenyo assist, Weimann goal, then Weimann assist, Semenyo goal.

From 4th December to the most recent goal. 8 goal combinations in 2 and a half months, quite good!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

33 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Scoring goals isn't our problem, keeping them out on the other hand

Too true. Go back forty years to 1982 and other than the five promotion seasons, there have been only four other seasons when we've conceded less than fifty goals.

1985, 87, 2003 and 04. 

31 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Was going to make a thread on Weimann-Semenyo.

Is that stat reflective of goal-assist combination? 

Vs Huddersfield- Semenyo assist Weimann goal x 2.

Vs Cardiff, Semenyo assist, Weimann goal.

Vs Luton, Semenyo assist, Weimann goal.

Vs Reading, Weimann assist, Semenyo goal.

Vs Swansea, Semenyo assist, Weimann goal.

Vs Middlesbrough, Semenyo assist, Weimann goal, then Weimann assist, Semenyo goal.

From 4th December to the most recent goal. 8 goal combinations in 2 and a half months, quite good!

In 2022, which I think is 10 games.

1467527238_Screenshot2022-02-21at19_36_27.png.03e9689c902adbe876defea832b8224c.png

@Monkeh of course you are spot on. I'd like to start by not conceding in the last 10 minutes, and see how we go from there.

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Martin has been very important to that combination too. 

What I'm interested in seeing is how our performances and results would look with a full strength 8 players behind them.

I think it's only Tanner and James that are missing from a full strength side. Would we then still look so vulnerable defensively.

Atkinson too, albeit having been not at his best prior to injury. 

55 minutes ago, 22A said:

Too true. Go back forty years to 1982 and other than the five promotion seasons, there have been only four other seasons when we've conceded less than fifty goals.

1985, 87, 2003 and 04. 

Less than 50 conceded over a 46 game season is a pretty good record that most teams don't achieve. Just a quick flick back through the past few years shows that in the Champ it's often only 6 - 8 of the 24 that manage to keep GA under 50.

Really, it is all about goal difference. You can concede tons so long as you score even more. Norwich won the league in 2019 conceding 57, but they scored 93. That same season Boro finished 7th having conceded a joint fewest 41...but scored only 49.

So to answer @1960maaan's question, we might have been a fair bit higher, but we'd need an awful lot more goals from Semenyo, Weimann (and Martin) in order to get our GD up to where we want it to be. In general, teams that find themselves in the top 6 will have a GD of something like +10 to +15 by the end of the season. We are roughly two thirds of the way through and are on -15. So, maybe we'd need another 20 goals so far if we wanted to possibly be up in the promotion battle. That would, by some distance, make us second only to Fulham in the goals scored charts. Maybe we should have had 6 penalties this season, maybe we score 5 of those. So we would still need another 15 or so in open play in order to compensate for our slack defence.

Puts some perspective onto just how bad the goals conceded numbers are.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I rate Atkinson but I don't think he is ahead of Klose when he returns

It’s why I don’t get bogged down in “best eleven” stuff.  When he returns from injury we then have another fully-fledged, perfectly capable, first team CB to pick from.  If he comes in at any point, I will feel we are still as strong.  You could easily shunt Kalas to RB, and Klose to RCB2 in a 4, or play all 3.

What we will have is competition / depth..

Edited by Davefevs

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It’s why I don’t get bogged down in “best eleven” stuff.  When he returns from injury we then have another fully-fledged, perfectly capable, first team CB to pick from.  If he comes in at any point, I will feel we are still as strong.  You could easily shunt Kalas to RB, and Klose to RCB2 in a 4, or play all 3.

What we will have is competition / depth..

Yep, plus if the last season & a half has taught us anything it is don’t expect this mythical best XI on the pitch too often.

• Like 1

Over the last few seasons, if I had a pound for every time I've read on here that we need a championship proven striker (20 goals is the benchmark I think), then I would be typing this in the Maldives.

Similarly, if I had a pound for every time I’ve read that Weimann just runs around a lot, I’d be flying there in my own private jet and if I had a pound for every time I’ve seen comments about Semenyo qualified by, “but strikers are meant to score goals” I could afford to fuel my private jet!

Funny to think that the solution to most of our problems was under our noses all the time, it just needed a Pearson to find it!

The frightening thing is that if LJ was still here there likes of Semenyo, Scott, Bell, etc would likely be out on loan or sold on and we’d have an ever growing wage bill stuffed full of players that have been thrown under the bus and about 7 midfielders all much the same and likely modelled on O’Dowda.

• Flames 1
  • Robin 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Yep, plus if the last season & a half has taught us anything it is don’t expect this mythical best XI on the pitch too often.

Hopefully,  with Pearson we are more likely to see the right XI rather than the best XI

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

Over the last few seasons, if I had a pound for every time I've read on here that we need a championship proven striker (20 goals is the benchmark I think), then I would be typing this in the Maldives.

Similarly, if I had a pound for every time I’ve read that Weimann just runs around a lot, I’d be flying there in my own private jet and if I had a pound for every time I’ve seen comments about Semenyo qualified by, “but strikers are meant to score goals” I could afford to fuel my private jet!

Funny to think that the solution to most of our problems was under our noses all the time, it just needed a Pearson to find it!

The frightening thing is that if LJ was still here there likes of Semenyo, Scott, Bell, etc would likely be out on loan or sold on and we’d have an ever growing wage bill stuffed full of players that have been thrown under the bus and about 7 midfielders all much the same and likely modelled on himself.

Fixed

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, downendcity said:

The frightening thing is that if LJ was still here there likes of Semenyo, Scott, Bell, etc would likely be out on loan or sold on and we’d have an ever growing wage bill stuffed full of players that have been thrown under the bus and about 7 midfielders all much the same and likely modelled on O’Dowda.

Great post.

It has been the case for too long that we simply concede too many, can’t think of many recent seasons when we really struggled to score.

Sorting out the back line & those who play in front of it with defensive duties is far more important than looking to bring in a striker, unless Semenyo goes.

Decisions to be made on Klose, Cundy, another RB to replace Simpson, obviously Baker’s future to resolve & Taylor Moore.

Plenty for NP to sort this summer.

Just a note. Weimann is currently on 37 goals in all comps for Bristol City. He needs 13 more to get to 50 and join that illustrious club. Unlikely this season (although we'd all be delighted!) but perfectly possible if he signs on for 22/23!

Also, I always think of him as a Villa and Derby player who now plays for Bristol City. But looking at his stats he now has more minutes, apps, goals, assists, and yellow cards for us than any other team.

image.png.75097cf763ed2744e4cdf35fdd30cbc8.png

Edited by ExiledAjax

8 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Just a note. Weimann is currently on 37 goals in all comps for Bristol City. He needs 13 more to get to 50 and join that illustrious club. Unlikely this season (although we'd all be delighted!) but perfectly possible if he signs on for 22/23!

Also, I always think of him as a Villa and Derby player who now plays for Bristol City. But looking at his stats he now has more minutes, apps, goals, assists, and yellow cards for us than any other team.

image.png.75097cf763ed2744e4cdf35fdd30cbc8.png

He’s contracted to 2024….so hope he’s here next season.

• Thanks 1