IGNORED

Nottingham Forest away match day thread

Jerseybean

5 minutes ago, Clevedon Red said:

We sometimes don’t have a plan A either.

I mean our plan A seems to be the 3-5-2, hope they attack us and we can counter them. Forest are a solid defensive team who don't attack primarily so instantly our counter attack is dead in the water and we can't attack any other way as we don't have that plan B we so desperately need. In the pre-season we really really need to work on building an attack against teams who enjoy soaking up the pressure because they are the teams we just cannot break down and this game is the perfect example of it as Forest have us figured out and are enjoying us playing the only way we know how.

2 minutes ago, pillred said:

We don't have a plan B, ooh! I wonder who that might be down to. I'm sorry but how much latitude are we giving Pearson especially as all the players that are currently being touted as our salvation were already at the club before he joined and will probably not be here for much longer.

The latitude Pearson gets ain’t down to anybody on here, more a case of Steve Lansdown’s pocket. He did say a it would take a number of transfer windows but presumably you don’t have the bollocks for it?

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

The latitude Pearson gets ain’t down to anybody on here, more a case of Steve Lansdown’s pocket. He did say a it would take a number of transfer windows but presumably you don’t have the bollocks for it?

A number? well considering we will probably have to take a half step forward this season and one step back as far as that our promising players will be poached by other clubs, that number could be a bit like Easter a moveable feast.

Just now, pillred said:

A number? well considering we will probably have to take a half step forward this season and one step back as far as that our promising players will be poached by other clubs, that number could be a bit like Easter a moveable feast.

If you don’t like it go and have a word with Stevie Lansdown or don’t buy a season ticket next season. Not many other options out there when the majority of the fan base are not getting sucked in and accept where we are and why we are.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pillred said:

The only one with a potential quicker departure due to contract length would be HNM, everyone else has got time. If we sell its more to do with sorting the balance sheet. Although I can’t see the individual benefit of any of the youngsters leaving to go to a Prem team right now. Not quite good enough to start, so would end up in U23 football or loans,.

3 minutes ago, pillred said:

We don't have a plan B, ooh! I wonder who that might be down to. I'm sorry but how much latitude are we giving Pearson especially as all the players that are currently being touted as our salvation were already at the club before he joined and will probably not be here for much longer.

You want my reason we have no Plan B, it's not actually Pearson but the players we have. I don't think Danny Simpson was ever a player he wanted, I think that was down to the club and just so we could say "we have a right back", the truth is we have no right back nor anyone who has any real natural ability there. DaSilva is a quality player but the fact is that he's not a right back/ wing back which means as we play our 3-5-2 full counter tactics when it doesn't work we cannot switch to 4 at the back without putting someone out of position. The purpose of a plan B is to be able to switch the style of play to better suit our strengths against the opposition but without that right back we'd only be putting square pegs in round holes.

The real test for Pearson IMO is when we have a squad capable of being able to play more than one type of football, the fact that we've progressed on the pitch is a credit to Pearson, the defensive awfulness comes down to always having to play 3 at the back as even the best teams in the world struggle to make 3 at the back work, especially when you've been playing it for so long and opposition managers know how to play against it. It's at this point you'd say "well that's down to the manager" but as I mentioned, we don't have that right back to play a "normal" back 4. If you're forced into playing with a back 3 then you need to have a very strong midfield both physically and mentally but we've got a midfield mostly comprised of younger players who are still learning. Ultimately we can't really switch to playing 4 at the back until we have a consistent and natural right back which limits almost every formation that you can play short of playing a flat back 5 which requires creativity throughout the midfield, which again, we don't have.

I think Pearsons goal this season was simply to improve our 3-5-2 counter attack tactic whilst keeping us out of a relegation battle so that we can get a right back and develop more tactical options over the pre-season. If we can in a good right back and maybe add a few calmer, experienced players over the preseason and then develop a tactic to slowly build up our attacks with 4 at the back in the pre-season we'd go into next season with a lot more tactical options, depth and composure. If we enter the next season with still only a single game plan then my opinion on Pearson may very well change but for now I think it's a case of him trying to make the most of the tools he has been given.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1